ADVERTISEMENT

Two Plays

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
You can never know absolutely, but a case case can be made we are two plays away from being ranked at least in the top 15. The pick in this game and the 4th down missed tackle with a minute to go against Syracuse.

I don't know how CBO sleeps.

You can never know absolutely, but a case case can be made we are two plays away from being ranked at least in the top 15. The pick in this game and the 4th down missed tackle with a minute to go against Syracuse.

I don't know how CBO sleeps.
You could be correct, but we’ll never know. It’s gutting. But.. the great teams seem to figure out ways to overcome it, be it in the next play, series, game, or season. They need to assume a crap call will occur and still have the doors blown off someone. It’s still a horrendous feeling..

Let’s hope BO and the boys don’t think about it much and get back to prep.

You could be correct, but we’ll never know. It’s gutting. But.. the great teams seem to figure out ways to overcome it, be it in the next play, series, game, or season. They need to assume a crap call will occur and still have the doors blown off someone. It’s still a horrendous feeling..

Let’s hope BO and the boys don’t think about it much and get back to prep.
You can also say we nearly blew the last game, weren’t they at the 3 yard line for the tie? You can also say we coulda/shoulda lost the Kansas game. So it cuts both ways.

You can also say UNLV’s 6 wins came against teams with a combined record of something like 14-30, only two teams above 500, and UNLV squeaked out a win against a two win team (Kansas). Those “big wins” against UH and Kansas didn’t turn out so shiny, bad teams in a name conference, but they were on the road, so credit there.

We are good team though, not great, not top 20, prob not top 30, certainly top 40. And that’s not something to shake your head at. Yeah, if you are Michigan or Penn State, Ohio State, etc …. Not if you are UNLV.

Odom has built this program very quickly and generated, gasp, pride for the first time in decades. We still have warts and chinks, far from complete, but it’s the best group we’ve had in quite some time, probably ever. So there’s that.

I’m as disappointed as everyone else though.

That’s the thing …. Elevate the program through some good wins, through good recruiting, through a style of play, etc … expectations rise drastically and the coach becomes a bum for any falling short, even though the target is now much higher. Can become a victim of your own success.

We didn't lose this game because of bad calls. Boise State was a slightly better team last night. Rebs contained Jeanty for the most part. He got 128 yards but it took him 30+ carries to get there. (Yes the blindside block was awful)

Rebs struggled to get pressure on Madsen and he was able to make enough plays in big situations to bring home a win. And offense continues to struggle in the red zone settling for FGs too often.

UNLV is 8 points from being undefeated. Against probably the toughest schedule they've faced in a long time.

You can also say we nearly blew the last game, weren’t they at the 3 yard line for the tie? You can also say we coulda/shoulda lost the Kansas game. So it cuts both ways.

You can also say UNLV’s 6 wins came against teams with a combined record of something like 14-30, only two teams above 500, and UNLV squeaked out a win against a two win team (Kansas). Those “big wins” against UH and Kansas didn’t turn out so shiny, bad teams in a name conference, but they were on the road, so credit there.

We are good team though, not great, not top 20, prob not top 30, certainly top 40. And that’s not something to shake your head at. Yeah, if you are Michigan or Penn State, Ohio State, etc …. Not if you are UNLV.

Odom has built this program very quickly and generated, gasp, pride for the first time in decades. We still have warts and chinks, far from complete, but it’s the best group we’ve had in quite some time, probably ever. So there’s that.

I’m as disappointed as everyone else though.

That’s the thing …. Elevate the program through some good wins, through good recruiting, through a style of play, etc … expectations rise drastically and the coach becomes a bum for any falling short, even though the target is now much higher. Can become a victim of your own success.
I agree we are in the 30s and given our history that is awesome. And given it is year 2 it is shocking. Give him time and I think that will get even better. Maybe not next year with all of the losses but in the long run.

#13 on defense has killed us in both of our losses a dropped int followed by a stupid 15 yard penalty in the Syracuse game and another stupid 15 yard penalty this game. But he was not the only one we have to be prefect if we want to be a considered a top tier program. Still proud and love watching this team though. Rebels Sack UP and win out!!!!

#13 on defense has killed us in both of our losses a dropped int followed by a stupid 15 yard penalty in the Syracuse game and another stupid 15 yard penalty this game. But he was not the only one we have to be prefect if we want to be a considered a top tier program. Still proud and love watching this team though. Rebels Sack UP and win out!!!!
Are you talking about the Saint John's or Ricky White penalty? That Saint John's was a killer. Great flop by Boise.

If we get the rematch I would pick them to win again but I certainly wouldn’t be shocked if we won. This team has already shown they can win on the road and statistically we were right there with Boise. If they play the same game and cleaned up the mistakes, they could definitely win.

If we get the rematch I would pick them to win again but I certainly wouldn’t be shocked if we won. This team has already shown they can win on the road and statistically we were right there with Boise. If they play the same game and cleaned up the mistakes, they could definitely win.
Weird that we are 3-0 on the road, 3-2 at home, 3-0 with Sluka, 3-2 with Hajj. Not weird so much, it’s schedule driven, but still.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
He was below 50% completion percentage!
I don’t know how anyone can say he was accurate, he couldn’t hit the ocean if he was on the water’s edge on the beach!
He overthrew a wide open Kaleo.
Why does it seems that UNLV offence only throw to Kaleo once or twice per game? Both Syracuse and BSU killed us with their TE crossing from right to left. Over and over.

He was below 50% completion percentage!
I don’t know how anyone can say he was accurate, he couldn’t hit the ocean if he was on the water’s edge on the beach!
Maybe so but the last few games Hajj has made some critical errors on his throws. Almost lost to Oregon State because of his interception and lost to Boise because of a dumb interception before the half that put us behind the 8 ball the rest of the way. Turnovers have been a killer.

Next season will be interesting, I think unlv can do better than a Sluka/Hajj. Ochoa is a good prospect but we can do much better at that position.

Maybe so but the last few games Hajj has made some critical errors on his throws. Almost lost to Oregon State because of his interception and lost to Boise because of a dumb interception before the half that put us behind the 8 ball the rest of the way. Turnovers have been a killer.

Next season will be interesting, I think unlv can do better than a Sluka/Hajj. Ochoa is a good prospect but we can do much better at that position.
I think he throws a more catchable ball. But those decisions were really bad. Costly. Very costly. And those are the types of plays you get from freshman (Maiava had them), don’t expect them out of super seasoned guys like HMW.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I think he throws a more catchable ball. But those decisions were really bad. Costly. Very costly. And those are the types of plays you get from freshman (Maiava had them), don’t expect them out of super seasoned guys like HMW.
That's how he was at Campbell vs good teams. Feasted vs bad teams but good ones had lots of picks and throwing into coverage or misreading defenses.

He will only be a freshman but if memory serves Odom's son had some really good offers? He must be pretty good? I imagine they will grab another QB from the portal.

He will only be a freshman but if memory serves Odom's son had some really good offers? He must be pretty good? I imagine they will grab another QB from the portal.
I agree. Probably a portal guy. A lot likely depends on what the coaching staff looks like. If Marion goes, maybe Ochoa leaves also, depending on who the new OC is and system he runs

But we didn’t lose!

And we lost because of a whole lot of things… poor OL play, bad play calling, no DL pressure at all and oh yeah Haj!

We are better with Haj, the other guy some of you still bring up is a QUITTER who was not accurate, period!

Reactions: unlove and rickyb55
I’ll still take much solace in destroying UNR by 50+

SDSU is now public enemy #1 for me.

It was there president and AD that were catalysts in this realignment nonsense. It was their metrics that UNLV 'didn't meet'.

I 100% want Odom to run up the score if possible. And every Rebel fan in that stadium needs to chant Meet the metrics...Over and over.

Love Haj, but...he is starting to look to run way too quick and often now !

Love Haj, but...he is starting to look to run way too quick and often now !

He had to vs Boise. Their pass rush dictated it..He was under duress a lot in that game.

What I hope doesn't happen is he carries it over to Hawaii game and feels pressure that isn't there. Need OLINE to give him a clean pocket early in game and let him get comfortable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT