ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer RB Gary Quarles from Alabama St.

What the hell is it, is he still open or 100% committed?

He committed a few hours ago. That post is from December 3rd. I posted it to show how he can run FAST!!!
Thank you. He's a blurrr. I am stoked with this kid! and this recruiting cycle thus far.

Last edited:
Reactions: 220reb
I keep hearing that GoGo whatever. If GQ fit that molds, I cannot wait to see it.
Well, you should familiarize yourself a little with it, lol... our new OC created it. Runs 2 backs out of backfield with QB and uses spread offense principles sprinkled with traditional old school running to create mismatches or unbalanced formations for the defense. .. so a shifty fast back with hands becomes a very versatile player in the formation and presnap movements...

Reactions: 220reb
Well, you should familiarize yourself a little with it, lol... our new OC created it. Runs 2 backs out of backfield with QB and uses spread offense principles sprinkled with traditional old school running to create mismatches or unbalanced formations for the defense. .. so a shifty fast back with hands becomes a very versatile player in the formation and presnap movements...
Sound good, so as long as he use only 11 players and follow the rules with player's movement before the snap.

I think Reece have been upgraded to a FB

No way. I don't think he's much more than 175-185lbs. Courtney was under used in my opinion by Arroyo. He broke off some big runs vs a stout ND defense.

Should have seen the ball more as he was arguably our best big play threat on offense.

This guy is definitely fast but Courtney is right there with him.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Reece and QB coming out of the backfield together should be interesting. Some fast backfield.

The alignment he runs allows a lot of misdirection for zone read stuff. This suits Doug better. Downside is how much do you want to run Doug with his injury history?.

It does provide enough misdirection that your QB doesn't have to be blazing fast to be productive in the run game. But he has to be willing to keep it occasionally on zone read plays to keep defenses honest and also pick up some decent yards on occasion so the DEs don't simply crash and sell out on the RB.

What makes the offense difficult for defenses is that it overloads a side. Forces defenders to be good at reading keys.

Its similiar to Rocky Long's 3-3-5. It made QBs uncomfortable because pressure came from unconventional places and guys you would think were coming after QB would drop in coverage. Caleb Herring was on the radio a while back talking about how much he hated that defense because it made you question what your eyes were telling you.

I think this offense could be like that.

We already have this guy on roster with Courtney Reece. If nothing else solid insurance/similar back should one get hurt.
We're going to have 2 guys in the backfield with the QB on 90% of the snaps... both backs will be running plays together. Again, it's a very versatile offense and having parts that do similar things on either side of the QB creates another recognition nightmare.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
We're going to have 2 guys in the backfield with the QB on 90% of the snaps... both backs will be running plays together. Again, it's a very versatile offense and having parts that do similar things on either side of the QB creates another recognition nightmare.

Definitely, although I think you'd like to have one of the backs a little bigger to help with blocking, not sure Reece or this guy would provide much there.

It will be interesting to see how often they both get utilized at the same time.

I can see where it could create problems for the defense in terms of pass coverage. Really don't want LBs covering those guys for too long..

It seems like it can flip the pre-snap dynamic on its head.

With very odd unbalanced formations, it will nearly force the defense to show their hand on what they are going to do. It should help simplify pre snap reads to exploit the defense.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I remember what the back at SDSU did a few years back. Donnel Laray Pumphrey Jr. out of Canyon Springs played for SDSU, UNLV didn't even make an offer as far as I know, and he tore UNLV a new one along with the rest of the MWC. He was 5'8" tall and weighed around 160-170 in college. Made it to the NFL and played for the Eagles and Lions! Had 6405 yards rushing for SDSU. 167 yards in 2014; 139 yards in 2015; 141 yards in 2016.

Quarles is very similar in size and speed to Pumphrey. If he plays anywhere near that level, we will be very happy.

Was at the game with father at canyon springs sat on Foothill side
When did you attend foothill?

My coworker’s son way back in the day went to foothill and was bullied by extraordinaire running back John Ford.

I remember what the back at SDSU did a few years back. Donnel Laray Pumphrey Jr. out of Canyon Springs played for SDSU, UNLV didn't even make an offer as far as I know, and he tore UNLV a new one along with the rest of the MWC. He was 5'8" tall and weighed around 160-170 in college. Made it to the NFL and played for the Eagles and Lions! Had 6405 yards rushing for SDSU. 167 yards in 2014; 139 yards in 2015; 141 yards in 2016.

Quarles is very similar in size and speed to Pumphrey. If he plays anywhere near that level, we will be very happy.

Not sure if he was injured one year and was granted a RS. This would be his sixth season.

Of the 5 he played had one really productive season (2021) with 800 rushing and another 200 receiving to go along with 10 rushing TDs.

Besides that his overall production was pretty pedestrian vs lower level of opposition.

Do not know if injuries played a part in that.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
The alignment he runs allows a lot of misdirection for zone read stuff. This suits Doug better. Downside is how much do you want to run Doug with his injury history?.

It does provide enough misdirection that your QB doesn't have to be blazing fast to be productive in the run game. But he has to be willing to keep it occasionally on zone read plays to keep defenses honest and also pick up some decent yards on occasion so the DEs don't simply crash and sell out on the RB.

What makes the offense difficult for defenses is that it overloads a side. Forces defenders to be good at reading keys.

Its similiar to Rocky Long's 3-3-5. It made QBs uncomfortable because pressure came from unconventional places and guys you would think were coming after QB would drop in coverage. Caleb Herring was on the radio a while back talking about how much he hated that defense because it made you question what your eyes were telling you.

I think this offense could be like that.
Didn't TCU run the 3-3-5 versus Georgia? 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT