ADVERTISEMENT

Tough Evening

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
Suffered through a Rebel game that was worse than a trip to the dentist only to get home in time to watch the football team self destruct in San Diego. They may win but who knows.

Biggest disappointment was definitely Robotham. I was really hoping we had la floor general that could lead the team. He was basically held scoreless and turned it over 6 times. Loved Diong. He will be everybodies favorite Rebel this year.

And then Lex breaks a long one for a TD and we are up again.

Joy in Rebelville

Hang on for the W

Chet Buchannan is a huge upgrade over the other two barkers from the last few years. In the game he took the lack of motivation of the fans in stride. He said something to the effect of "It wasn't so long ago that the Thomas & Mack stood and cheered the fight song. We're going to bring that back soon." My man, if we continue to lose to teams like LMU, it aint EVER gonna come back.

That said, I'm not too concerned or disappointed in the team. We knew we wouldnt be good to begin with. Also, as was mentioned in thread above, maybe this is a different type of year -

Every year start strong and regress as the season progresses. Maybe this is the first indication that we may start bad and get better? At the very minimum this season will tell us if Coach Marvin Menzies is the right guy.

Reactions: Oscar_m89
Chet Buchannan is a huge upgrade over the other two barkers from the last few years. In the game he took the lack of motivation of the fans in stride. He said something to the effect of "It wasn't so long ago that the Thomas & Mack stood and cheered the fight song. We're going to bring that back soon." My man, if we continue to lose to teams like LMU, it aint EVER gonna come back.

That said, I'm not too concerned or disappointed in the team. We knew we wouldnt be good to begin with. Also, as was mentioned in thread above, maybe this is a different type of year -

Every year start strong and regress as the season progresses. Maybe this is the first indication that we may start bad and get better? At the very minimum this season will tell us if Coach Marvin Menzies is the right guy.
A double digit loss to a poor LMU doesn’t leave you concerned or disappointed....

I agree.

But that we both feel that way says a shit ton about the record setting apathy that permeates the Mack air.

What I saw was hero ball. Everyone wanted to put it in the basket but everyone else was standing and watching the ball being bounced trying to penetrate a zone anchored by our big men refusing to move from side to side etc. 24 turnovers that beats a junior high team that is really really poorly coached. Coach fix it or play with your freshmen, your going to have some rough nights but at least they have some energy.

Have to bring this thread back up. Now that some time has passed this may not be that bad of a loss. LMU is undefeated including a win against Georgetown. LMU is Georgtown's only loss and they beat Illinois. Rebels have looked improved the last 2 games so I'm getting hopeful for a good season again

Have to bring this thread back up. Now that some time has passed this may not be that bad of a loss. LMU is undefeated including a win against Georgetown. LMU is Georgtown's only loss and they beat Illinois. Rebels have looked improved the last 2 games so I'm getting hopeful for a good season again
It’s still a bad loss and will go down as a bad loss. Just like had we won, it wouldn’t have counted as a good win. We can candy coat that game if we want but putting tinsel on a turd still doesn’t change that it’s a turd.

Reactions: Doneoett
It’s still a bad loss and will go down as a bad loss. Just like had we won, it wouldn’t have counted as a good win. We can candy coat that game if we want but putting tinsel on a turd still doesn’t change that it’s a turd.
Sure it’s a bad loss. It will bite us in March, in the unlikely event that we're NCAA-eligible. But I prefer to look at it in a positive light.

We didn’t lose to LMU because they were so good. We blew that game because we sucked. But the last two games have been very different. As the color-man, Bollwinkel (J. Moose) noted last night, that’s the best defense the Rebels have played in years. Last year's D was non-existent.

Pacific may be 3-1 (now 3-2), but they have zero length. Okay, they had that one 7-footer, who couldn’t jump an inch, and managed to foul out early, despite playing limited minutes. We may not face a shorter team all season.

But Oakland was a better test. On the heels of the Loyola loss, I fully expected to lose that game too. They’ve played several quality teams close over the last few years. That was the first game where the defense was very good.

In recent years the script went like this: Rip through the early, non-conference games. Giving false hope that perhaps this season would be the one where we could turn around the sinking ship that has been Rebels basketball. Then reality would set in and we’d reach a level of mediocrity in conference play that tested the strength of their most loyal fans.

Maybe things will be a bit different this year. Perhaps we’ll actually improve as the year goes on instead of going the other way. Or maybe I’m just clutching at straws…again. Remember how excited we all were after the destruction of Utah last year? We were on our way to the Elite 8 at a minimum. So, I’ll temper my enthusiasm a bit, but I still believe that Menzies will make us a tournament team, if the school has the patience to let him develop the program.
RBW-Bullwinkle.jpg

GO REBELS!!!

Reactions: khokhol8
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT