ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Plays in Rebel History

RebelBuzz

Retired Number
Jan 13, 2015
Dalton Sneed's amazing 91 yard run tonight got me thinking about the 5 greatest plays in Rebel history. Full disclosure: I'm not quite 30, so Cunningham and the 80s Rebels are before my time. But here's my list.

5- Payne's 1-handed TD grab against ASU on the road to help score a huge upset victory.

4- Jamaal Brimmer blitzes, sacks BYU quarterback, recovers fumble and runs for TD in Provo.

3- Jason Thomas to Troy Mason for 55 yard TD to take the lead over Arkansas in the Las Vegas Bowl.

2- Sneeds run. Might be a bit high just due to recency, but to go from safety to TD was simply incredible.

1- Fumble-6 by Kevin Thomas at Baylor as time expired.

What plays are on your list?

Dalton Sneed's amazing 91 yard run tonight got me thinking about the 5 greatest plays in Rebel history. Full disclosure: I'm not quite 30, so Cunningham and the 80s Rebels are before my time. But here's my list.

5- Payne's 1-handed TD grab against ASU on the road to help score a huge upset victory.

4- Jamaal Brimmer blitzes, sacks BYU quarterback, recovers fumble and runs for TD in Provo.

3- Jason Thomas to Troy Mason for 55 yard TD to take the lead over Arkansas in the Las Vegas Bowl.

2- Sneeds run. Might be a bit high just due to recency, but to go from safety to TD was simply incredible.

I think Brimmer had a big pick in the end zone when we beat a ranked Wisconsin on the road. Also have to include the blocked kick at ASU.

I might remove Brimmer and put Payne's catch vs Iowa State....

(However Brimmer had the single best game I have ever seen by a Rebel vs Wisconsin)

Agreed with Brimmer and Wisconsin. He is probably in contention for the best defensive game by a single player in CFB history.

It's always difficult to rank great plays. Some plays are great because of the situation (key play to upset win, etc.). Other plays are just intrinsically spectacular plays (Odell Beckham's one-handed catch vs. the Cowboys a couple years ago). You would rarely say a homerun is a spectacular play, but if a guy hits a walk off homerun in game 7 of the World Series... it might be considered the best play of the year.

Sneed's run yesterday was one of the best intrinsically good plays I can recall as a Rebel fan.... but it couldn't top the fumble-6 at Baylor.

Agreed with Brimmer and Wisconsin. He is probably in contention for the best defensive game by a single player in CFB history.

It's always difficult to rank great plays. Some plays are great because of the situation (key play to upset win, etc.). Other plays are just intrinsically spectacular plays (Odell Beckham's one-handed catch vs. the Cowboys a couple years ago). You would rarely say a homerun is a spectacular play, but if a guy hits a walk off homerun in game 7 of the World Series... it might be considered the best play of the year.

Sneed's run yesterday was one of the best intrinsically good plays I can recall as a Rebel fan.... but it couldn't top the fumble-6 at Baylor.
Agreed. Gotta place KT's fumble as the greatest play.

Brimmer didn't have any one play that might make the top 5, but he was a wrecking ball that game. I believe that was the game where it only rained on their side of the field, but not on ours right? LOL, lots of whining after that one.

Baylor play easily number 1.

I have to go with October 10, 1981. Sam King to Jim Sandusky with maybe 15 seconds in the game. Play was only 20 yards but it was right in front of me in the end zone as Sandusky laid out to catch the winning tiuchdown 45-41 over BYU in Provo. King passed for 458 yards QB for BYU was Jim McMahon, but he did not play . So his HOF back up Steve Young played. One of the safties for BYU was the older Mannion boy from Valley High School. My sister jumped up and screamed so loud that she fainted and we had to have an ambulance take her to the ER. Doesn't get more exciting than that, but watching the BYU faithful crying, priceless.

I was at that game, and it was fun to watch an entire stadium of byu fans go into dead silence only seconds after they thought they had won the game.

I was at that game, and it was fun to watch an entire stadium of byu fans go into dead silence only seconds after they thought they had won the game.
Somebody has to find that on video, although I won't be holding my breath. Nothing more satisfying than snatching victory from between the pearly whites of BYU fans!

My dad was at that game and still talks about it on occasion. My dad is a huge UNLV fan, but he traveled up to Provo with a buddy of his who is a huge BYU fan. My dad says that his buddy was so devastated on the drive home that my dad couldn't even enjoy the win. Haha

That BYU play was several years before RebelBuzz first made an appearance on this earth... but based on the description, that play has gotta be on the list for sure.

And I wanted to share this video, which includes highlights from the UNLV/Baylor game with the fumble-6: (Baylor highlights start 2:53 into the video)

Reactions: bcvegaspt
That BYU play was several years before RebelBuzz first made an appearance on this earth... but based on the description, that play has gotta be on the list for sure.

And I wanted to share this video, which includes highlights from the UNLV/Baylor game with the fumble-6: (Baylor highlights start 2:53 into the video)
Great find. That team was actually decent. Robinson built up that O line and played a bland, but effective offense. Cashed in on it a bit over the next couple of years and made Reno our bitch for a stretch.

My brother played in that Baylor game and my parents were at the game. I went to a lot of roadies that season but missed Baylor, obviously wish I had gone. Listened to it on the radio because it wasnt on TV in LV.

My brother said he and a lot of the team were walking toward the locker room as the last play was about to be ran, My Mom said Baylor fans around them were talking a lot of trash to the small UNLV contingent ...until the play.

My brother ws living with me that season and when he got home later that day, hearing his recollection of that play and the teams reaction was priceless.

Reactions: rebneck

That was fun! Lot's of character on that team and the year to follow. Too bad we couldn't start that narration with a modified voice-over from John Facenda, "The autumn wind is a Rebel...."

Another play I can think of was the 18 yard run by Kevin Brown (I think) against Ole Miss @ Ole Miss. 18 yard draw play at the end of the game....Ole Miss was prevent, and John Robinson calls up a draw play with no time on the click from the 18 yard line.....John Greer cleared a path to end zone and Brown ran it in to shock the Duce Staley-less Rebels....of course we kicked a field goal in OT and Staley was all if a sudden healthy and ran a TD for the other Rebels... that was a great game regardless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT