This one sucked (personal)

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
Sorry, a little long …

I’m sure many here knew Rich. He and I have known each other for a long time, we bonded during baseball. Early in life, I hated playing against him because he was so competitive. A really good guy, as kind as a person could be, but very competitive and always coached by his father, Elton. The apple didn’t fall far from the three because Elton scared the shit out of me. So intense.

I remember as a young kid having a game against them, I played centerfield at the time. I made a great catch for the final out with runners on in a tight game. Elton beelined for me. I thought it was going to be a Woody Hayes situation. The look in his eyes, I thought he was going to deck me. He shook my hand, gave me a hug and said great catch kid, you won the game. Of course, that changed the way I viewed him a little bit.

He drafted me the following year. I was previously (this is little league) an All Star center fielder, remember, as kids, we took baseball very seriously. Ate it, drank it, slept it. Elton was so pissed when I told him I wanted to play second base. He specifically wanted me for centerfield. But the last game of the season before, our coach (go figure, Whitaker, who’s sons I played with and went on to coach at Silverado) let the older players choose a position. I chose second base and we turned two double plays very smoothly and it felt very natural to me. So I wanted to continue at second.

Elton gave me a shot, put me through the wringer, later admitted he made it tough so I’d fail and go back to centerfield. We had an assistant who played low level minors judging my footwork, I remember that specifically. But I was flawless. It felt so natural. So he gave me my shot.

Richard was the shortstop. Second base and short go together like pitcher and catcher, like QB and WR. When the chemistry is right it’s powerful. Rich and I had that. Simple glimpses or glove turns or whatever else, we knew what each other was going to do in the field. Got to the point where no words had to be spoken, we were same page. It was really awesome. We turned so many double plays. Rich was flamboyant, I was fundamentally sound. Fire and ice. I led off slap hitter, never struck out, high OBP, Rich batted second (or third) and it was the same thing with batter/baserunner. We could read each other. We had a green light most times to do what we needed to do, we both knew the game and knew coach Ebarb wanted. A lot of steals, a lot of hit and runs, Rich always led the league in RBIs and me with runs scored.

Hard to explain the chemistry unless you’ve been through the same.

As a teammate, Rich was always one of the best players … didn’t matter if you were good or sucked, made a great play or screwed up, he was always uplifting everybody. Wasn’t a blamer and didn’t waste time mulling over mistakes, it was forge ahead. And socially, he was just fun. Loud and fun. Everyone liked Rich. He was just that everyone’s All American type of kid. Kept everything fun even though he was intense.

Unfortunately, it was a huge rift between my parents and I, I was forced to go to Gorman. My heart was set on Valley with Roger Fairless, Richard, and everybody else I grew up playing ball with, traveling with. Second base was easily mine. It was a real blow to me but i understand why my parents did that.

Richard and I remained in contact throughout the years, texting, phoning, we’d hang out publically …

In around 1998-99, he asked me to be an assistant to him when he took over the Chaparral program. I was just a couple years in being a tech, had some time on my hands, no kids at that time, I seriously contemplated it. At the same time, the internet was in its infancy … and a company named rivalsnet offered me work. I wrestled with the decision. Obviously, you know what I chose. I’ve always wondered whether I made the right decision. I don’t have regrets in that regard, but it certainly was a crossroads moment, when the decision is made, your life is on a unique path. In terms of what I should be doing, I really think I made the wrong choice … I love coaching, I love teaching, I love and know baseball. But it wasn’t going to pay the bills the way I wanted (not that I’m rich).

I’m really going to miss Rich and I have nothing but great memories with him. Every memory is good, there was no bad. What a great guy. I’ll miss him.

Ah, you can cue in the Al Bundy and Polk High stuff when you want.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.