ADVERTISEMENT

The season ended pretty appropriately

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
With Jenkins and Hamilton indiscriminately tossing the orange towards the backboard. Not surprising, it's always been our best chance and that's saying a lot about where we are and what the future might look like.

Listen, recruiting has sucked. I know some believe he's a recruiting guru, some believe all the stupid ass hype videos or their genome and a bunch of other stuff that just doesn't matter.

I don't think our players are terrible. I think some are young and will develop and be just fine. I don't think Del Cadia sucks or Wood sucks. There are spots for those types on teams. The thing is, you want them occupying the 8-13 scholarship slots, not as primary guys. And we have a shit ton of players that all fit into that category. So recruiting really hasn't sucked, but it's been ineffective recruiting. By ineffective, I'm talking does it meet the current teams' needs? We had a point guard go down - we had zero answer. Diong needed help at times. We had zero answer. Recruiting did not fill in those gaps. That falls on recruiting philosophy, just terrible construct of a roster, among the worst we've seen put together.

Scheme - eh, I'm not a fan of small ball but it can work, so it's not like I'm dead set against it. I'm a fan of a more traditional type of team, not four "shooters" and a big that just rebounds. I mean, if you are going to go that way, you better make sure your shooters can shoot. Defensively ... sorry ... it's not strong. There are stretches where they turned it up and defended for some stretches... but it was weak overall, you could see that.

Losing Zaon hurts badly and was a terrible break for the program. Arthur? Go ahead, post the highlight tapes, let's talk about he's going to put up 15 -11 next year and be a force. Let's pull up stats for player x, y, or z coming into UNLV and proclaim that we have the package. Or look at it for what it is. Not enough to turn things around. Talk about addition by subtraction with Hamilton and Jenkins. The future construct, right now, is garbage as well. You don't have to look to far.

The staff needs to hit really well out of the portal. And that takes a ton of luck. You're blindly reaching into the spice rack and pulling crap out to put in your soup. Your fingers are crossed that they mix properly and history tells us ... you need a ton of luck for that. So to me, it's looking like next season will probably be a struggle as well. This staff has done poorly in addressing the team needs and fortifying the roster.

And whether Otz is poached, fired, leaves, whatever ... that doesn't solve jack for next season. We aren't in a good spot. The program isn't in good shape. We need a long shot crapshoot of a class from the portal. And even that is a band aid, not a long term solution.

Best thing about Corona has been I didn't have to waste time at the freezing cold Mack watching this garbage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News