ADVERTISEMENT

The 619…

As digitalturf once said, that ship has sailed! Those days will never come back!
I disagree. Is it 1990? No. Will it be 1990 again? No. But even with the level of apathy and how mediocre the last 10 years have been and knowing the school has more local competition for eyeballs and support than ever before, knowing that the playing field isn’t level with P5 programs, SDSU, UCONN, Creighton/Princeton, Xavier, and Gonzaga, and FAU are all in the Elite 8 or have a shot and are all G5. Are they elite G5? Certainly much more than UNLV. But it will happen. I just hope it doesn’t take another 20 years or apathy/support doesn’t erode further, because I don’t think we’ve seen it quite this low.

Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And a good thing never dies (but it might take a long damn time)

Reactions: RRebel
The most important position in college hoop is coach. All it takes is the right coach. Some of these teams are winning with guys we would not take as players.

And Houston should be our model. They went from the top to lower than us and to number 1. They also had huge competition for sports interest in the town.

It is not impossible at all. If any of Cronin, Beard, or even Otz would have stuck around we would be relevant again. I hope KK has learned something and gets it fixed this year, otherwise we will be back here next year with more time since we have been good.

I disagree. Is it 1990? No. Will it be 1990 again? No. But even with the level of apathy and how mediocre the last 10 years have been and knowing the school has more local competition for eyeballs and support than ever before, knowing that the playing field isn’t level with P5 programs, SDSU, UCONN, Creighton/Princeton, Xavier, and Gonzaga, and FAU are all in the Elite 8 or have a shot and are all G5. Are they elite G5? Certainly much more than UNLV. But it will happen. I just hope it doesn’t take another 20 years or apathy/support doesn’t erode further, because I don’t think we’ve seen it quite this low.

Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And a good thing never dies (but it might take a long damn time)
All those schools have much more stable environments and institutional factors that support their growth. UNLV continues to get in the way of itself.

Is in the Elite 8! The 702 needs to become a factor in March again!

We can fluke it like George Mason or FAU, there’s always that chance.
I’m not asking for 4 Final Fours in 15 seasons, it would be nice if we could compete for the Mountain West. This is a low major program at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: j. spilotro
Honestly, I don't think we have the AD that cares about UNLV Men's Basketball. I give him credit for doing what he can with Football but, I don't see him looking for the "right" coach at this time for Men's Basketball. If anyone watching KK in interviews tells me that it's something other than watching grapes turn into raisins, a long boring process, then you are much smarter than me. I'll take a Rain Check until the 24-25 season providing we have a better coach. Good luck to SDSU vs Creighton.

Honestly, I don't think we have the AD that cares about UNLV Men's Basketball. I give him credit for doing what he can with Football but, I don't see him looking for the "right" coach at this time for Men's Basketball. If anyone watching KK in interviews tells me that it's something other than watching grapes turn into raisins, a long boring process, then you are much smarter than me. I'll take a Rain Check until the 24-25 season providing we have a better coach. Good luck to SDSU vs Creighton.
I Don’t know if he cares about basketball or not, but I think he does. I don’t think he had any choice but to keep Kruger, he had to raise a lot of money to buy out arroyo and hire a quality replacement. There wouldn’t be enough money to buy Kruger out as well and hire a replacement that moves the needle. If we have similar results next season that’s when we will find out if he cares or not.

Reactions: RebelsDen
UNLV BB is no better than CS Fullerton and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Actually CSUF has been to the tourney twice since UNLVs last appearance.

As for SDSU, I’m pretty sure everyone outside of Alabama was hoping the Aztecs would take out that team and their clueless coach.

Reactions: RebelSoldat
UNLV BB is no better than CS Fullerton and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Actually CSUF has been to the tourney twice since UNLVs last appearance.

As for SDSU, I’m pretty sure everyone outside of Alabama was hoping the Aztecs would take out that team and their clueless coach.
We may not be great. But we are better than Fullerton. FAU, NO

Reactions: LocoRebel
A lot of excuses as to why UNLV has been bad. Yet example after example after example after example of where …. NLI doesn’t have to be huge to compete … coach salary doesn’t have to be high to compete … and it can be done sooner than later ….

No, not just FAU ….

Even within conference, teams above us with “less” ….

And other examples. We keep making excuses to why one can’t … instead of holding standards to why they should …

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT