ADVERTISEMENT

Line ‘em up: Predictions and Game Thread Syracuse

100% on Odom on this one. You're defense is literally sucking from oxygen tanks because they're completely gassed, you have 23 secs with all to's left and you only need a fg to win and you take a knee!? WTF!!?? What in the hell were you thinking!?
Only needed to get to the 35. Crit could hit for 52 yards.

Reactions: jeff6382
Those watching on TV. The 4th quarter facemask call against us. At the game it looked like a completely bogus call. What did TV show?
I’d like to see it to. The playback didn’t make it obvious. I couldn’t tell if he got dragged down by another part of the helmet though.

Nah that was the play!!

I want it in slow motion!!

Can’t wait to time stamp this.

Sucks to let one slip away like that.

Dropped INTs.
Hajj with a bad decision. (played really well otherwise)
Defense for first time all year struggled to get off field.

Syracuse QB is legit. That dude threw some absolute darts into some tight windows. Best QB we'll face this year.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
Yada, yada, yada about the calls. Yeah, there were bad ones and most of the bad ones hurt the Rebels, not Syracuse.

In spite of that, UNLV just needed to make a play here or there to win and they didn't make those plays.

McCord is too good and he was way too good especially tonight. As easily as UNLV got into Keene's head, they got nowhere in McCords. The different looks didn't confuse him, he reacted quickly with the right reads/calls ... and he made UNLV look silly in the defensive backfield.

I thought, once again, terrible with play calling at times, especially close. I didn't like the way the game was managed down the stretch (gave Syracuse too much time in regulation, could have milked more for the last drive, would have rather had a field goal with a minute remaining than a touchdown with 3 minutes left). I didn't like taking a knee at the end of the game with three timeouts left. You try at the end of the first half but not the end of the game? That's not trusting your offense, I know you can't afford a turnover, but Syracuse couldn't afford a big play either.

We won one "we shouldn't have" (Kansas) and now we dropped one "we shouldn't have". We weren't going to go undefeated. It sucks, but oh well. Have to focus on the conference game next week.

It sucks but I'm not going to cry over it.

Yep.

Questionable calls or not. 2 chances to salt that game away and didn't get it done.
And look at the Rebs performance in the early part of the game. They can't allow the other team to get 14 points right from the very beginning. Sure, bad call but it would not have been as important if the Rebels had gotten off to a better start.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Also, last TD drive, Rebs kept snapping the ball with 15+ seconds on the play clock. Could have given Cuse the ball with <2 minutes instead of the, what, 3:30 or so?
Yeah, I for sure thought we'd get the ball to them around the 2 minute mark, even on our TD play, Hajj snapped the ball with 15 seconds left on the clock

The refs were a complete garbage crew. They scored 18 points on penalties. Some were legit like the PI call but that roughing was a joke. That said, our defense couldn’t get off the field in the third quarter even when they had rest from the half so we didn’t deserve to win.

The refs were a complete garbage crew. They scored 18 points on penalties. Some were legit like the PI call but that roughing was a joke. That said, our defense couldn’t get off the field in the third quarter even when they had rest from the half so we didn’t deserve to win.
13 of 21 on third/fourth downs. You can't blame the refs for that. Hold them to even 50%, you win the game.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
Last thing I thought of before my eyes closed last night and first thought this morning. Tough game to get out of my head. LOTS of season left and if the boys take care of business we still have a shot. (If we drop another then it doesn’t matter anyway.) Hard to put it behind us but hopefully it’s used as motivation to improve and play above any ref bias (which was pretty obvious). Take care of business with eyes on BSU as redemption.

Last thing I thought of before my eyes closed last night and first thought this morning. Tough game to get out of my head. LOTS of season left and if the boys take care of business we still have a shot. (If we drop another then it doesn’t matter anyway.) Hard to put it behind us but hopefully it’s used as motivation to improve and play above any ref bias (which was pretty obvious). Take care of business with eyes on BSU as redemption.
One game at a time, but 6-1 Boise at 6-1 UNLV would match or exceeds last nights atmosphere.

Regarding where we stand, if you told me we’d be 4-1 at this point in the season, I would take it, no questions asked. Obviously we could have easily won last night, which makes it tough to swallow. But we are in fantastic shape heading into the midpoint of the year. Need to beat USU and at least split against Ore St and Boise, and we’ll be on our way to a stronger season than last year, with an incredibly tougher schedule. Things are still looking up!

Aside from the bad calls that did have an impact, UNLV had so many chances.

Dropped INT by Jackson.

Catalon with an apparent stop on 4th and 1 that would have ended the game right there.

Powell had a shot at an INT that would have sealed it.

Offensive play calling in OT, which wasn't a surprise. This staff struggles with play calls when they get close, IMO.

We seriously got away from the run. Hajj had some scramble yards, did he have many keepers on RPO for yardage? Regardless, we abandoned the run.

First and goal from the 4 yard line, bland play calling, settle for a FG attempt with the snap from the 2 yard line (late third quarter to get us within 7, following that, we had the blocked punt TD to tie it).

I didn't agree with not trying to make something happen after Cuse tied it at 38. We had three timeouts.

Yeah, we can blame the refs. Or execution/decisions, of which many were blown.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
Aside from the bad calls that did have an impact, UNLV had so many chances.

Dropped INT by Jackson.

Catalon with an apparent stop on 4th and 1 that would have ended the game right there.

Powell had a shot at an INT that would have sealed it.

Offensive play calling in OT, which wasn't a surprise. This staff struggles with play calls when they get close, IMO.

We seriously got away from the run. Hajj had some scramble yards, did he have many keepers on RPO for yardage? Regardless, we abandoned the run.

First and goal from the 4 yard line, bland play calling, settle for a FG attempt with the snap from the 2 yard line.

I didn't agree with not trying to make something happen after Cuse tied it at 38. We had three timeouts.

Yeah, we can blame the refs. Or execution/decisions, of which many were blown.
Yeah, only 127 yards on the ground. Not going for the TD when you get a 1st and goal to go but settling for a FG, and dropping int balls that hit your hands... lots to reflect on and say, man... not just the constant bail outs by refs.

Yeah, only 127 yards on the ground. Not going for the TD when you get a 1st and goal to go but settling for a FG, and dropping int balls that hit your hands... lots to reflect on and say, man... not just the constant bail outs by refs.
I feel like the UNLV defense is going to be what wins or loses games for us this year, it's our strength. It wasn't up to par last night. They weren't on the field because the offense didn't have the ball enough, they were on the field because of the third and fourth down conversion rates. You gotta make plays. The Catalon one sticks out, it was a great impact hit, but all shoulders, no arms, no wrap up.

I feel like the UNLV defense is going to be what wins or loses games for us this year, it's our strength. It wasn't up to par last night. They weren't on the field because the offense didn't have the ball enough, they were on the field because of the third and fourth down conversion rates. You gotta make plays. The Catalon one sticks out, it was a great impact hit, but all shoulders, no arms, no wrap up.
Definitely a couple times, their back just bounced off our guys and that's not good considering you need to tackle Jeanty in 2 games this year... I don't think we were aggressive enough and McCord was comfortable most of the night finding pockets. Again, I'm not too concerned about that because we aren't facing another offense with that talent across the board this year. They have a former SEC WR, a Potential first round QB, and a very good pass catching TE that they used all night... no one else on our schedule has that firepower

Definitely a couple times, their back just bounced off our guys and that's not good considering you need to tackle Jeanty in 2 games this year... I don't think we were aggressive enough and McCord was comfortable most of the night finding pockets. Again, I'm not too concerned about that because we aren't facing another offense with that talent across the board this year. They have a former SEC WR, a Potential first round QB, and a very good pass catching TE that they used all night... no one else on our schedule has that firepower
Unless someone dislocates his hip, Jeanty is going to gain 400 yards in the two games against the Rebels.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT