ADVERTISEMENT

Stacey Augmon wants the job.

Augmon is and always will be an awesome Rebel! Unfortunately, I think we've already tried and failed this experiment. IMO, Its time to bring in completely new faces to turn the program around. No more previous UNLV players. No more hight school coaches. No more experiments! We need to get a solid, experienced coach at the helm.

Reactions: Spoon James
It's going to be a mess. I hope slick rick gets the job or lookout.

George Karl taking the Job with Stacey in his wings to take over.

It took Rice 5 years to make this team the laughing stock of the MWC. They need to get this hire right.

Reactions: ThailandReb
If the boosters and UNLV can't find or afford a quality coach who is a proven leader,,then why not let Stacey have a crack at it,guy is a Vegas hero and should have a chance at it.Cant get much worse

If the boosters and UNLV can't find or afford a quality coach who is a proven leader,,then why not let Stacey have a crack at it,guy is a Vegas hero and should have a chance at it.Cant get much worse

No way. Rice wasn't the only one who created this clown show, the assistants, all of them, didn't exactly set the world on fire either. God bless Stacey but after some of the names we've heard, it'd be a joke of a hire.

Reactions: 76Rebel Man
We are 15-11 and going to miss the ncaa tournament for the third year in a row, if we can't find a proven winner due to lack of funds or lack of interest,who would you bring here instead of a guy like augmon?

We are 15-11 and going to miss the ncaa tournament for the third year in a row, if we can't find a proven winner due to lack of funds or lack of interest,who would you bring here instead of a guy like augmon?
This

Stacey is right about the situation that would surround UNLV in trying to get Pitino. A lot of things would have to fall into place to get him. Like Stacey I have my doubts about the whole Pitino commitment from the university. So why not give Augmon a legit shot at the coaching vacancy

Reactions: UNLVAlumni
I love and respect Stacey more than anyone who ever donned a Rebel uniform. He deserves every consideration in his request. And I disagree with those on here who say that our dismal showing this season is a reflection on all of the coaching staff.

Stacey has been in charge of the defense, and that is the one aspect of the Rebels that has been pretty solid. We have the MW leaders in defensive rebounds (Zimm) and steals (McCaw). We rank highly in 3-point defense and several other categories. It has not been UNLV’s defense which has cost them all of those close losses.

I doubt, however, that he will be offered the job. Dave Rice’s misadventures have probably soured the Athletic Department towards hiring a first-time, alumnus head coach. And perhaps they’re right. Not that Augmon might not succeed, but that he might need to prove himself at a lower-level position before taking on a Division-I post.

I hope, whatever happens, that Stacey is not alienated by the process. Nothing would bring me greater joy than for Stacey to head a successful run at UNLV. And if no one of sufficient stature can be found at the price the school is willing to pay, then I’m all for giving Stacey a shot. But I doubt that will be what takes place.

Just remember, Plastic Man, you will always be #1 in the hearts of anyone who was here to see you play…
:okay:

Defensive stats are one thing I look at... what about the now-annual, horrific turnover rate of players fleeing the program? Or utter lack of leadership and failures to adjust? Not saying that's all Stacey by any means; not even the majority of it... but still.

Serious question: what has Stacey shown in the past 5 years to make anyone think he'd be a competent head coach?

Defensive stats are one thing I look at... what about the now-annual, horrific turnover rate of players fleeing the program? Or utter lack of leadership and failures to adjust? Not saying that's all Stacey by any means; not even the majority of it... but still.

Serious question: what has Stacey shown in the past 5 years to make anyone think he'd be a competent head coach?

He's shown COMITtMENT!! Despite its unsupportive administration, divided boosters, and shyte fans, he's COMMITTED to this program!! At the very least he should be chosen ahead of every other up and coming assistant looking for a start. No Rick Pitino, no Archie Miller? Then I'll back Stacey Augmon! He is invested, and he has given. It's quite evident these players are playing their butts off for the coaches, and each other. That speaks volumes! Does anyone have a problem with the way these kids pay defense?!

No Head Coaching exprrience. Who gives a funk?! Ever heard of Kevin Ollie? His resume before he got the UCONN job almost looks as good as Stacey's....

Papa dub hits a home run on this. A great example is Kevin Ollie.

Stacey is different in many ways over Rice so to put any blame on him is unreasonable and Stacey has taken the assistant coach job and has done what an AC is supposed to do and let the HC run the program.

In addition, Stacey's credentials are a lot different than Rice's. He has been under the tutelage of some great coaches in his years in the NBA both as a player and assistant and his 5 years on the bench at UNLV has taught him a lot as well.

I dont have a problem with this at all. If we can't bring in a heavyweight coach then by all means let's give it a go. I know one thing for certain is that the players will listen to him and respect him.

This is Rice vs. Theus part II.
I don't think so. It looks as if we can get Pitino or Archie Miller that is who everyone would like but if the money is not going to be spent then Stacey should be the hire. I don't see a split in this case like it was between Rice and Theus.

Reactions: UNLVAlumni
I don't think so. It looks as if we can get Pitino or Archie Miller that is who everyone would like but if the money is not going to be spent then Stacey should be the hire. I don't see a split in this case like it was between Rice and Theus.
personally, i'd rather have Augmon over anyone. i'm not saying he'd be better than anyone else, but just like with him, i'm all about loyalty and Augmon is The Rebel.

i'd be really intrigued to see who he would hire as assistants.

The former player as coach experiment is over. I love Augmon just like the next Rebel, but give me someone that's proven with head coaching experience.

EDIT: and on top of all that, if he does get the job, hypothetically, and crashes and burns, don't ever think another glory year rebel will come around if he gets fired also. It's a PR nightmare waiting to happen.

personally, i'd rather have Augmon over anyone. i'm not saying he'd be better than anyone else, but just like with him, i'm all about loyalty and Augmon is The Rebel.

i'd be really intrigued to see who he would hire as assistants.

Unbelievable. Loyalty is admirable but shouldn't entitle anyone to the head coaching job at UNLV. Has he shown anything to make anyone believe he'd be a competent HC?

I've heard a lot of complaints about how he's been quiet as a mouse during games throughout his tenure. Does he have the charisma or personality needed?

He's been an assistant for some dreadfully underachieving teams. If he's hired i'd support him and give him a chance, but i'd be very disappointed and say his chances of turning UNLV into a perennial tourney team are minimal at best.

i feel that any other coach would use us (if successful) as a stepping stone.

i think he learned a lot of valuable "what not to dos" from Rice and i am about 100% sure that the players would respect him. i think the respect part was a huge part of what Rice was lacking.

i've always had the desire to have a Rebel as the coach. for me, that's what it's all about.

"The former player as coach experiment is over." because Rice failed, that means everyone else will too?

i feel that any other coach would use us (if successful) as a stepping stone.

At least he'd be successful first!

i think he learned a lot of valuable "what not to dos" from Rice and i am about 100% sure that the players would respect him. i think the respect part was a huge part of what Rice was lacking.

"I think" he did is a lot different from him showing he has. He really hasn't shown anything spectacular or extraordinary, before or after Rice was canned.

"The former player as coach experiment is over." because Rice failed, that means everyone else will too?

I actually agree with what you are saying here, but I feel that any former player who wants to coach here should be qualified to do so, which Augmon clearly isn't.

Put it this way... take out the name Augmon and replace it with Coach X... look at the qualifications.

"I think" he did is a lot different from him showing he has. He really hasn't shown anything spectacular or extraordinary, before or after Rice was canned.

I actually agree with what you are saying here, but I feel that any former player who wants to coach here should be qualified to do so, which Augmon clearly isn't.

Put it this way... take out the name Augmon and replace it with Coach X... look at the qualifications.

i would say that trout's "i think" was from his own perspective. but he isnt wrong, and augmon has already stated some of the glaring issues the program has had. augmon should be a lock for the job. drop him a two year contract to work out what he can with the current and incoming recruits that he is familiar with. beyond that, the teams record will complete the story. he is a proven winner. he has a lot of high level experience. in his current role he has stayed back and allowed the head coach to create his program. with his knowledge of the game and of the players, augmon is an absolute knockout. he should not be looked at lightly, just because he is associated with an unfortunate failure of an experiment. he will knock it out of the park. really, unlv should have hired him as head coach and he should have put in a call to rice, instead of what happened. reality at this point is a tainted pitino or a mike brown. i say we give augmon a chance to prove how much he has learned in his role at unlv. in my opinion, he truly deserves it. and so do the players that are committed to him.

I think it would be silly to just hire him out of loyalty. Love the dude and appreciate all he's done. If the big hires don't come through, then I think you give him an interview just like whoever else and take sincere consideration into what his plan is. But to hire someone simply because they have been "loyal" is just silly.

A decade+ NBA playing experience, several years NBA player development experience, and five years college assistant. Knows the school, has the NBA connects elite recruits are looking for...And MOST importantly, he's loyal and COMMITTED. Hardly 'unqualified'

If you didnt look at the Kevin Ollie comparison, Google Fred Hoiberg....

Also, I guess it's early and I haven't seen the list of well seasoned, up and coming coaches on the mutual interest list. I've only seen unlikely grand slam hires, an ex NBA coach looking for a college stepping stone, and an Arizona assistant.

I think Augmon made it clear...Get Pitino,, Miller, Jay Wright (PFFFF YA Right!!) great!!!
But as we go down the list and start choosing between up and coming assistants, and retreads, Stacey Augmon is the best choice!

If Rick can be had, can't do better. Home run. HOF coach. Archie would be a home run as well. Qualified and proven with HC experience.

In the absence of those two more experienced options I'd be thrilled to have 32 lead this program. His performance as DC has been top notch. I have no doubt he could recruit to the level the job demands. He could easily keep what's good about this team together and make a run next season.

I'd be damn proud to cheer on Coach Augmon as our new HC. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

I think it would be silly to just hire him out of loyalty. Love the dude and appreciate all he's done. If the big hires don't come through, then I think you give him an interview just like whoever else and take sincere consideration into what his plan is. But to hire someone simply because they have been "loyal" is just silly.

The people praising his loyalty aren't implying its the only accomplishment/quality that make him qualified to lead this program.

Nobody here is arguing Stacey should be given the job simply because he's been loyal.

A decade+ NBA playing experience, several years NBA player development experience, and five years college assistant. Knows the school, has the NBA connects elite recruits are looking for...And MOST importantly, he's loyal and COMMITTED. Hardly 'unqualified'

If you didnt look at the Kevin Ollie comparison, Google Fred Hoiberg....

Also, I guess it's early and I haven't seen the list of well seasoned, up and coming coaches on the mutual interest list. I've only seen unlikely grand slam hires, an ex NBA coach looking for a college stepping stone, and an Arizona assistant.

I think Augmon made it clear...Get Pitino,, Miller, Jay Wright (PFFFF YA Right!!) great!!!
But as we go down the list and start choosing between up and coming assistants, and retreads, Stacey Augmon is the best choice!

I agree 100%. Also, there was a lack of trust between Augmon and Rice (hence never promoting him to Associate Head Coach), which in turn shows his acts of being quiet. Did you read the article? He respected the HC position and part of that is not stepping on his toes, which Rice unfortunately got more time than he should have. Augmon doesn't deserve the blame at all for these teams and their failures, this is on Rice and the players. Not to mention, their defense is not a problem, which your "unqualified" coach is the leader of. I saw so many games where Rice actually waived Augmon to sit down when he got up. It wasn't until Augmon came here that practices were run and organized similarly to the NBA, but again "unqualified." Also, how is it Augmon's fault that when we are running and Rice stops the running to run his own mouth and not trust his talented players and this becomes Augmon's fault?? Wake up guys! Augmon even said, if a Pitino or of similarity came along then hire him, if not Augmon not only deserves the job but is "qualified" for the job!

Reactions: the Florian Trout

Do you know anything about Augmon's resume to say he is not qualified?

Augmon should have been given the interim role to see what he's got as a HC, no doubt We all know why Simon got it. #FindlaysBoy

This x1000. It's messed up that a UNLV alum would do that to a guy like Augmon who of the assistants was the most qualified by far.

If we can't get a 'can't miss' coach like a Pitino, an Underwood, or an Archie Miller then I would absolutely back Augmon.

That would be great to see him get a shot. Obviously, the fantasy is that his team embodies the same defensive intensity in which he played with, etc. I'm not delusional, though. Kevin Ollie may just be a top 1% outlier. He also came in with different circumstances and a more comfortable situation with Calhoun backing him. But if anyone deserves a shot, it's Augmon. I would love to see that. A wealth of knowledge to teach. Recruiting should be great too because who wouldn't want to play for a coach that was an elite player, won a natty in college, and was an NBA veteran. A lot of people gloss over that. He was a veteran. Not someone who was just a flash in the pan, played for a year or two, and then ended up being demoted. He was a pro's pro. He has so much information to pass down. I think that he's just a chill, humble guy. But right now may very well be his time to shine. The opportunity that has revealed itself. If we do not get a super home run hire like Pitino, I would be happy to see Stacey get a chance.

Do you know anything about Augmon's resume to say he is not qualified?

I know he was a mouse-quiet assistant for some of the most underachieving teams i've ever seen. I don't blame all of the incompetence on Rice; I think the entire coaching staff failed colossally, Augmon included.

Those insinuating that because he was a long-tenured and successful NBA player means he'll be a great coach... I don't buy that. Every year former players give coaching a shot in college or NBA, most don't set the world on fire.

Didn't Clyde Drexler, one of the all-time greats, go back to coaching his alma-mater Houston? How'd that work out?

Look, if Augmon is hired i'll support him, but based on his performance during his tenure here, the fact that those teams were full-fledged dumpster fires with insanely high turnover annually, i'm just not optimistic about his capability. That's all. I'm actually with RebelChiGirl on this one (it wasn't all Rice's fault!!!)

I do agree with those saying i'd rather have had Augmon named intern HC than Simon....

I feel like a whole lot of kool-aid is being drank here. I have no doubt everyone loves them some Augmon juice because he was such a good player and played in the NBA and yadda yadda. However, zero head coaching experience. Rice was also on the championship team and was a long time assistant under Tark, Gru, Bayno, Spoon, and then Utah State and BYU. We all just lived through the slow decline the past 5 years with hopeful teams. I'm not ready to hand over the keys to anyone without proven experience, and that goes for former players and loyal supporters. I want an effing winner that can at LEAST win a GD conference championship let alone get to the tournament.

IF Augmon (or any former player) gets hired, and we suffer for 5 more years after with meddling teams, don't say I didn't tell you so. I'll watch this community shaking my head when they turn on the man if he can't win.

Sometimes it's more about how a coach can get a team to listen and I think that Rice couldn't do that. That's not the assistants fault. I believe Augmon can get through to players. It's because of his vast experience that we have brought up that can make a difference in the players hearing their coach.

I feel like a whole lot of kool-aid is being drank here. I have no doubt everyone loves them some Augmon juice because he was such a good player and played in the NBA and yadda yadda. However, zero head coaching experience. Rice was also on the championship team and was a long time assistant under Tark, Gru, Bayno, Spoon, and then Utah State and BYU. We all just lived through the slow decline the past 5 years with hopeful teams. I'm not ready to hand over the keys to anyone without proven experience, and that goes for former players and loyal supporters. I want an effing winner that can at LEAST win a GD conference championship let alone get to the tournament.

IF Augmon (or any former player) gets hired, and we suffer for 5 more years after with meddling teams, don't say I didn't tell you so. I'll watch this community shaking my head when they turn on the man if he can't win.

Kool-aid? That's ridiculous. His qualifications have been spelled out. Not sure what's so hard to understand. Everyone wants the seasoned, future hall of fame coach; and there is a huge "IF" as to whether the boosters will come up with the $10,000,000 or so needed to procure such a hire. Even then that coaching pool is what, 3 to 5 deep? And that futire hall of famer will have to actually want to come here....Then what? It'll be a crapshoot after that, I assure you.

Please remember, Lon Kruger was not good enough for boosters and fans. And even as Rice detractors exaggerate his failure here, the new coach and staff will need to continue to recruit at the ELITE level Rice was able to do with two completely different staffs (the one constant being Augmon...

As for your expectations, let me break it to you. Whatever coach we hire, likely won't be winning the all important conference championship nextra year. Many fans will call his teams "meddling". And the boosters and community will likely turn on that coach, at some point. Let me just say I told YOU so right now...

Kool-aid? That's ridiculous. His qualifications have been spelled out. Not sure what's so hard to understand. Everyone wants the seasoned, future hall of fame coach; and there is a huge "IF" as to whether the boosters will come up with the $10,000,000 or so needed to procure such a hire. Even then that coaching pool is what, 3 to 5 deep? And that futire hall of famer will have to actually want to come here....Then what? It'll be a crapshoot after that, I assure you.

Please remember, Lon Kruger was not good enough for boosters and fans. And even as Rice detractors exaggerate his failure here, the new coach and staff will need to continue to recruit at the ELITE level Rice was able to do with two completely different staffs (the one constant being Augmon...

As for your expectations, let me break it to you. Whatever coach we hire, likely won't be winning the all important conference championship nextra year. Many fans will call his teams "meddling". And the boosters and community will likely turn on that coach, at some point. Let me just say I told YOU so right now...
Bingo. That's how Rebel fans roll.

Dave Rice was more qualified coming in than Augmon is. I'm aware of Augmon's resume and playing history, trust me. We can agree to disagree but YOU don't see what's hard to understand. I'd love to get a future hall of fame coach like the next guy. Is that reasonable to expect though, no. I'm a realist. That DOESN'T mean though that UNLV can't attract a guy like Archie Miller, who has PROVEN he can win with even less resources than UNLV has and wouldn't seem to break the piggy bank.

For the record, Lon Kruger was plenty good enough for this fan, and was a year away from having the facilities to recruit. I was ok with going to the NCAA tournament over what we got now, and with talent like Chop Jones no less. Do I think if we get Archie Miller or Pitino next year we will get a conference championship? No. But I do think we'll see great improvement, especially if we can retain the players we have currently and within a year or 2 we will see some accolades.

Reactions: ThailandReb
If I were a major booster I would go all in for the next coach of UNLV. The urgency for a home run hire is great!

We cannot judge all former players based on Rice's performance. Rice did recruit, or was it the facilities? Maybe a little of both, or was it other connections? Kruger got the most out of players, but I can remember during games with only Anthony Marshall playing hard and there was no substitutions. I would have benched all the starters and put in the bench. So I imagine Lon was thinking, "OK, Air Marshall is playing, everyone else has checked out mentally, what should I do, looking at my bench does not look like a magic pill...what to do what to do." So nothing happened. He really did coach those kids to above their potential. Kudo's to him and the man should have been paid.

I like Archie, then Pitino and then Stacey. 1, 2 & 3. I reserve the right to change my opinion if new and better options open up. That being said, I only know of Stacey actually being on the table. The others would never say anything during the season, but seriously sometimes I wonder if we are all drinking Kool Aid. Maybe we could get Pop to come for the right amount of money. Those top tier coaches have to WANT to come to UNLV and we want them to want to come also. I choose A. Miller over Pitino since I feel that there is a lot more left in the tank with Archie.

That being said for all the Stacey haters...which are few...please tell us who SHOULD get the job and why. I really hate it when people complain but don't have a solution. Don't be like a politician and complain and not offering a solution. Offer us up something, I am willing to change my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT