ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game Discussion

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
It's halftime now. Brumfield looks bad and I mean really bad. That is all I have to say for now. His job is in serious jeopardy based off of this game. He has looked solid during practice, but its a completely different story today.

The offense looked better ran by Bailey. De Jesus could have huge games for us . The Defense looked solid but I do feel like coach Marion was holding back just trynna have fun

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
It's halftime now. Brumfield looks bad and I mean really bad. That is all I have to say for now. His job is in serious jeopardy based off of this game. He has looked solid during practice, but its a completely different story today.
I don’t know how much stock you can put into what was out there. It was pretty light hearted out there, more of just a viewing of kids going through some motions, having some fun.

I don’t know how much stock you can put into what was out there. It was pretty light hearted out there, more of just a viewing of kids going through some motions, having some fun.
I agree to an extent, but if someone went off, then that wouldnt be the narrative. It would be that they look good and will get PT. If something is fun and lighthearted, then in theory, the offense should be going off and the qbs were average today.

With that being said, De Jesus looks scary and he will get end the season with 60-70 catches. Jett has a lot of range. I liked how focused the communicative the defense looked overall. The DB room this upcoming season will be a ballhawking unit

Who is the QB looks best with this offence? Did anyone played beside Brum and Bailey?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Who is the QB looks best with this offence? Did anyone played beside Brum and Bailey?
All 4 QBs played. Bailey looked the most comfortable. Maiava threw for a bunch of yards but was turnover prone. He showed a lot today, much more than he ever did in practice. I was thoroughly shocked because even in practice he looked like he was playing slow motion.

If Maiava can keep raising his level of play.....

Last edited:
All 4 QBs played. Bailey looked the most comfortable. Maiava threw for a bunch of yards but was turnover prone. He showed a lot today, much more than he ever did in practice. I was thoroughly shocked because even in practice he looked like he was playing slow motion.

If Maiava can keep raising his level of play.....

The theory why he looks so much better under this staff is the offense has been radically simplified. I'm not sure I believe that. I think the kid is just getting more reps. He's showed he's had the talent before.

The theory why he looks so much better under this staff is the offense has been radically simplified. I'm not sure I believe that. I think the kid is just getting more reps. He's showed he's had the talent before.
That's fair. I definitely slept on him. Glad to see that his talent is taking over and he's just out there having fun. Before he looked like he had happy feet

Reactions: CRhodes1983
Bailey is the most talented. He started games for Tennessee in the SEC. I think he’s good enough for UNLV. It was a train wreck with Brum game 5 and on.

Maiava is also very talented and hopefully the future here.

Bailey is the most talented. He started games for Tennessee in the SEC. I think he’s good enough for UNLV. It was a train wreck with Brum game 5 and on.

Maiava is also very talented and hopefully the future here.
Bailey maybe the most talented but I I thought Maiava is more connected to his teammates and win their loyalty. That is just me.

I think Bailey will start game 1. I was reluctant to say this earlier but I think now is an appropriate time; Brumfield and a lot of people on the team automatically thought that Brumfield would be the presumed starter and it was based on him starting last year and his personality/charisma.

I always thought that it was unfair that he was the self proclaimed QB1 and a lot of players ran with that. However in camp, a lot of players on the offense have shifted their energy towards Bailey as the leader. For him to actually claim the starting job, he obviously has to practice well but he needs to find a way to rally the soldiers and have them behind him. But I have definitely seen a shift in energy towards the end of spring ball. People are listening to him when he talks now and it helps that Ricky and him were not only teammates before but great friends.

Maiava will start in 2024 unless something drastic happens. I wouldn't be surprised if he closes out 2023 but that wouldn't be a good sign because that would mean that we arent in bowl contention. Out of everyone in the QB room, he is the most connected to the players and everyone loves him. His energy level has risen during camp and people have been taken notice.

I think Bailey will start game 1. I was reluctant to say this earlier but I think now is an appropriate time; Brumfield and a lot of people on the team automatically thought that Brumfield would be the presumed starter and it was based on him starting last year and his personality/charisma.

I always thought that it was unfair that he was the self proclaimed QB1 and a lot of players ran with that. However in camp, a lot of players on the offense have shifted their energy towards Bailey as the leader. For him to actually claim the starting job, he obviously has to practice well but he needs to find a way to rally the soldiers and have them behind him. But I have definitely seen a shift in energy towards the end of spring ball. People are listening to him when he talks now and it helps that Ricky and him were not only teammates before but great friends.

Maiava will start in 2024 unless something drastic happens. I wouldn't be surprised if he closes out 2023 but that wouldn't be a good sign because that would mean that we arent in bowl contention. Out of everyone in the QB room, he is the most connected to the players and everyone loves him. His energy level has risen during camp and people have been taken notice.
I am curious:

Why do you think Maiava will start in 2024? If Harrison starts this year (assuming he beats out Doug and stays healthy), why wouldn’t he be the front runner to start again next season, his senior year, as well?

I am curious:

Why do you think Maiava will start in 2024? If Harrison starts this year (assuming he beats out Doug and stays healthy), why wouldn’t he be the front runner to start again next season, his senior year, as well?
Several reasons why I think that;
1. If Bailey has the season he thinks he will have, he will be gone after this upcoming season. Whether that be grad transfer or a pursuit of a professional career. I personally don't see him playing college ball for 5 years
2. Maiava is young with crazy upside and he's the QB that is the most connected to the team. Players flock to him and respect that he's young but still a dog. This has only been the case since this Spring so the relationships are still brewing.
3. There's no reason to start a 5th year senior over a RS Sophomore and risk Maiava transferring if Bailey isn't light years ahead of him. We know what Bailey brings and I think he has improved and will get better but Maiava has the potential to skyrocket his improvement because he is getting more reps. Now it's up to him to keep that up and translate practice reps into consistency and trust

Several reasons why I think that;
1. If Bailey has the season he thinks he will have, he will be gone after this upcoming season. Whether that be grad transfer or a pursuit of a professional career. I personally don't see him playing college ball for 5 years
2. Maiava is young with crazy upside and he's the QB that is the most connected to the team. Players flock to him and respect that he's young but still a dog. This has only been the case since this Spring so the relationships are still brewing.
3. There's no reason to start a 5th year senior over a RS Sophomore and risk Maiava transferring if Bailey isn't light years ahead of him. We know what Bailey brings and I think he has improved and will get better but Maiava has the potential to skyrocket his improvement because he is getting more reps. Now it's up to him to keep that up and translate practice reps into consistency and trust
I agree on principle, however I don't expect Bailey to transfer from a system that highlights everything he can do unless it's to go to like Georgia and win a Natty... I can definitely see him developing to the "Josh Allen at Wyoming" level with 2 years as a starter and really, that should be the best outcome possible for the program- ie- High level QB play usually = lots of winning...
In principle, I'd hope the staff recognizes Maiava's potential, convinces him to stick around through Baileys time, and then we transition into another high talented QB... if we want to reach and maintain success, that's how we do it.

I wonder what happened to Brumfield, you would think this system would fit him to a T but his struggles are puzzling or maybe he was overrated all along!

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
I agree on principle, however I don't expect Bailey to transfer from a system that highlights everything he can do unless it's to go to like Georgia and win a Natty... I can definitely see him developing to the "Josh Allen at Wyoming" level with 2 years as a starter and really, that should be the best outcome possible for the program- ie- High level QB play usually = lots of winning...
In principle, I'd hope the staff recognizes Maiava's potential, convinces him to stick around through Baileys time, and then we transition into another high talented QB... if we want to reach and maintain success, that's how we do it.
I totally feel you. Part of it might just be me spending time around the team and seeing how Maiava is received by his teammates. Its much more genuine and together.

This next part is just my opinion and isnt what the team or what anyone on the team has told me. The only players that for sure vibe with Bailey more than Maiava is Ricky White for obvious reasons, Weimer, and the RB room. The rest of the team rocks with Maiava more and even Friel. Both are loved in the locker room. Doug is obviously loved as well.
I wonder what happened to Brumfield, you would think this system would fit him to a T but his struggles are puzzling or maybe he was overrated all along!
His confidence is always shot because of his injury history. But I think the main thing is that he is just not great. He has his moments as does every qb but his arm is not particularly strong and the intermediate and short game is his strength and even those route trees can give him some trouble.

I'll fill you in on some things that I have confirmed to be true. When he hopped in the portal last year, he didnt get the interest he thought he would be getting. Thats why he returned in about a week. It was a lot of Big Sky schools that wanted him but thats it. Thats why jumping into the portal after the firing of Arroyo was not really a feasible thing although it was made to seem like it was on social media. There would be no teams calling.

Lobbybuu, any news on the new commit you mentioned would be made public soon?

Overrated all along... SDSU played a safety at QB and he finished with better stats...

I think the injury history and the inability to trust his reads which causes him to run more made him on paper vs bad teams really good, but against the teeth of the conference, he struggled. The take off and run feeling that he gives instead of progressing through reads really affects the teams ability to just move the ball. Short reads to WRs also seemed to be missing, it was either hit deep, find TE/RB or run, unless the bubble screen was called.

Reactions: CRhodes1983
That's very valid, but no matter how it's spun, Brumfield was booty cheeks.

No argument here...

I just wouldn't panic...

Yet.

If fall camp reports are bad on Brumfield,we all better hope one of the other QBs wins the job because he was good, not just less bad.

Doug and Armani are similar. Doug has better arm talent but still has his issues.

Armani's problems (and what ultimately killed Sanchez) was that he couldn't even make the 'easy' throws vs favorable looks from the defense. Teams stacked the box because the Rebs could run and Armani's legs. And sure as crap Armani would miss wide open guys. 3rd and +7 yards was a death sentence for that offense unless Armani scrambled for big yards.

Doug doesn't have to be a great passer to make this offense work, just competent to keep defenses honest.

I totally feel you. Part of it might just be me spending time around the team and seeing how Maiava is received by his teammates. Its much more genuine and together.

This next part is just my opinion and isnt what the team or what anyone on the team has told me. The only players that for sure vibe with Bailey more than Maiava is Ricky White for obvious reasons, Weimer, and the RB room. The rest of the team rocks with Maiava more and even Friel. Both are loved in the locker room. Doug is obviously loved as well.

His confidence is always shot because of his injury history. But I think the main thing is that he is just not great. He has his moments as does every qb but his arm is not particularly strong and the intermediate and short game is his strength and even those route trees can give him some trouble.

I'll fill you in on some things that I have confirmed to be true. When he hopped in the portal last year, he didnt get the interest he thought he would be getting. Thats why he returned in about a week. It was a lot of Big Sky schools that wanted him but thats it. Thats why jumping into the portal after the firing of Arroyo was not really a feasible thing although it was made to seem like it was on social media. There would be no teams calling.
I agree with you except the point about his arm.

His arm strentgh is probably his best attribute as a passer. Last year it was the best on the team, and he has always been labeled as having an "NFL arm". We've seen him fire the ball down field, not enough to my liking but he can do it.

His touch has been questionable, and it doesn't seem like he makes multiple reads in the pocket.

Though to me, all of our QBs struggled in the pocket. Part of that is the O-line, but also I think the offense we ran under Arroyo just got too complicated.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Tomorrow is the day. I haven't been told that anything has changed, i.e. the date of the public commitment or the status of his commitment so I'm assuming the plan is unchanged.
ASU seemingly came out of nowhere and offered him and he committed. Had no idea they were even in the picture and no one knew he was offered by them. Sorry for the "misinformation" guys. This would have been a really good get. Disappointing for sure.

ASU seemingly came out of nowhere and offered him and he committed. Had no idea they were even in the picture and no one knew he was offered by them. Sorry for the "misinformation" guys. This would have been a really good get. Disappointing for sure.
Who was it?

Demetries Ford. He left his visit a silent commit so between then and presumably last night, everything changed. Really sorry LVRebel2000 and everyone else! By no means did I mean to try to spread misinformation.
It happens sometimes. You can’t control it.

Caron Butler, Bean Bradley …. Like I said, it happens. They can say it, they can mean it, it can be their full intention …. Then wham.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT