ADVERTISEMENT

Some observations vs FSU

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
What a great win. Serious domination on a national TV stage, looking good in all aspects. It's been alot of fun, easy to rally around, even easier (for me) when there's controversy. I welcome it with open arms. Whether it's justified or not. I absolutely prefer UNLV being hated by everyone that's not a UNLV fan.

Oh, I know it's nitpicking and there might be reasons for it, but these are some things I didn't like so much. And some things I liked.

... Playcalling within the 10 yard line. We seem to really tighten up, not just this year, but last year too. I don't know if we just get ultraconservative or predictable down there. We really don't have a tough yard back. Maybe it's Kylin James for that more than anybody else. When I look at our runners, though we have youth, Burrell, Green, even James - they seem really upright and not slow, but certainly not high end speed. Jet seems to get low at times and can get some extra yardage, but it's not like it's a strong go to. I realize we operate better in space instead of smashmouth, but there are times when you need it. Maybe Hajj is the best for that. But a little bit of power in certain situations seems to be lacking.

... I thought Hajj was terrific today given the circumstances. Steady, didn't make mistakes. Didn't try to do too much, took what was given, nothing seemed forced. Loved that we got Ricky back on track, looking like a game from last season. Wasn't crazy about the total spread though, 4 players, 15 catches, 10 to White. I realize we didn't throw it a ton and we gnashed them on the ground so it's not a huge deal, perhaps it was by design to get Ricky going. We were pretty even split last year with as a running/passing strength, this year we will be better with the tilt towards running.

... I wrote a post sometime in August that I was almost afraid to post because a) I hadn't seen it with my own eyes and b) it was tough for me to believe even though I completely trust the source. And it was basically how good our defense was going to be and how good it could be if key players stayed healthy, namely Baldwin and Catalon since they both have been injury prone. The post was about speed, aggressiveness, ability to cover, that Jackson jumped up a level and McDuffie ... and that the line was vastly improved. That it would be not the best defense in the country, but had a chance to be, by far, the best Rebel defense we've seen. So far, so good.

... Special teams have been really good this year. I was worried about Chittenden, even with his HS awards. He hasn't been in any high pressure situations, but the kid has done just fine so far. Nichols has been really good and now we are making plays on special teams.

... Wow, just wow. Turnover margin. Pressure on the QB. Interceptions. Impressive across the board. Whatever we are doing there, going to have to elevate it against Syracuse, McCord has thrown for 340+ yards in every game and has 10 TDs to 3 INTs. But they don't run the ball well and they aren't/haven't been strong defensively. Still, UNLV is going to have to bring it and hit them early and often. We need this game. Two road games that won't be easy after this Syracuse game.

... It's pretty nice that we can't be in a better position than we currently are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.