ADVERTISEMENT

So your saying we have a chance?

I know this is the football forum but looking at the potential schools if this ends up happening that’ll be a SCARY basketball conference.

UCONN, Baylor, Kansas, (last 3 champs) Zags, Zona, TTU, Houston, SDSU, ISU, KSU, Cincy, & even TCU of late have all had strong perennial tourney teams with every team on the list making it out the first weekend in the last 5 years.

We would be scraping at the bottom against teams that are still far better than us like BYU, OK state, WVU (been down lately but traditionally a really strong program) that would be a rough slate and KK would have to make drastic changes to survive such a gauntlet.

I know this is the football forum but looking at the potential schools if this ends up happening that’ll be a SCARY basketball conference.

UCONN, Baylor, Kansas, (last 3 champs) Zags, Zona, TTU, Houston, SDSU, ISU, KSU, Cincy, & even TCU of late have all had strong perennial tourney teams with every team on the list making it out the first weekend in the last 5 years.

We would be scraping at the bottom against teams that are still far better than us like BYU, OK state, WVU (been down lately but traditionally a really strong program) that would be a rough slate and KK would have to make drastic changes to survive such a gauntlet.
Yeah, you may struggle, but you are forced to get better to compete - and if you do compete, you are a national player, not just regional … I absolutely welcome top notch competition, highly important exciting game after game. With a conference like that, guess what? You can play a non-con like we’ve played the last several years because conference takes care of SOS.

If guys are scared of competition, they shouldn’t be playing the game. In my experience, it hasn’t mattered what level our team is at - the players want to play top teams. Also, in my experience, some coaches are afraid to play good teams. I realize they have more to consider, but some still err on the side of heavy overcaution in wanting to get to 20 wins and hoping it is considered a “success”. Sadly, I think when players see alot of wimps on the OOC, they know the staff doesn’t have confidence in them as a team which is a terrible message to send.

My thoughts on this is that the Four Corner schools will bolt to the B12. Per Dennis Dodd Colorado is now doing their due diligence having some in-depth discussions with them and they may be the first to go. After that look out because Utah and the two AZ schools will be gone too. When all that happens we more than likely will not be going the B12 route.

At that point it's all about the money. P5 schools to the B12 will get equal shares at $31 million each. Any G5 school would not. I guess that is part of their media contract. The G5 schools would have to share with each other and I'm not sure how much that is going to be. It certainly won't be that $31 million each.

The Pac12 is fked when that happens. We might as well get comfortable with our lot in life as we watch the Pac12 collapse. It will also be fun to watch Oregon and Washington squirm a bit.

Imo the only way UNLV reaches national relevance in basketball again is if they join the B12. The first few years will be brutal but they would compete against the lower competition. Being in a top conference is the only way to sustained national relevance imo.

Football would be even worse for probably at least 4 years. They’d be a bottom feeder. But if UNLV did things right (big if) they could become a solid program. Won’t win any national championships but could play in some solid bowl games. Ceiling would be sneaking into the CFP once they expand to 16 teams.

Let’s be honest though, UNLV has 2 realistic options and neither are B12. We will either join an extremely watered down Pac 12 that might as well be a mid major conference. Option 2 is we will be stuck in MW purgatory. With a thread or 2 popping up a year with us talking about why we are a great candidate and on the verge of being added to a great conference.

No one is to blame except UNLV. They had their chance to become a great program and set themselves up for the future but they didn’t do it.

Imo the only way UNLV reaches national relevance in basketball again is if they join the B12. The first few years will be brutal but they would compete against the lower competition. Being in a top conference is the only way to sustained national relevance imo.

Football would be even worse for probably at least 4 years. They’d be a bottom feeder. But if UNLV did things right (big if) they could become a solid program. Won’t win any national championships but could play in some solid bowl games. Ceiling would be sneaking into the CFP once they expand to 16 teams.

Let’s be honest though, UNLV has 2 realistic options and neither are B12. We will either join an extremely watered down Pac 12 that might as well be a mid major conference. Option 2 is we will be stuck in MW purgatory. With a thread or 2 popping up a year with us talking about why we are a great candidate and on the verge of being added to a great conference.

No one is to blame except UNLV. They had their chance to become a great program and set themselves up for the future but they didn’t do it.
This, sadly, is probably the most likely outcomes. I know we all want to be the best, get things back to where they should be, if we root hard enough we will become a major player, etc …

But it’s not that all signs have pointed to what you stated only recently. They’ve pointed this way for a long time. It was pointed out by many. Expecting things to happen while you sit by idly is how things DON’T happen. You have to kick the door down and make it happen. UNLV didn’t do any of the required work upstairs or on the field of play. They’re waiting for a bailout, a coattail to grab, pip waiting for a magwitch. It’s a terrible, passive philosophy.

UNLV should approach the BIG12 with an entrance strategy. Sell them on the fact that Vegas is an emerging marking and a great sports town. They know this, but also know that UNLV is behind a lot of other schools due to crappy leadership for a while. So come with a plan. If the other schools are getting 32 million / year or whatever it is, offer to join for 12 million the first year, then prorate the remaining money over 10 years. So basically, every year, you get 2 million more, or something like that. That way, as the school grows, and gains in value, we get more money. Not as much of a hit to the conference right out of the gates.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
If the B12 poaches the PAC, they certainly do not need us. If the AZ schools stay then, maybe they could use us. Especially if SDSU prefers to stay in the PAC.

PAC could lose Utah and Colorado, but if the AZ schools bolt too, then it is just a matter of time.

I do get the vibe that the B10 doesn't want to obliterate the PAC, probably due to a long history with the Rose bowl. But I can see them take Oregon and U dub if they PAC seems to be in shambles anyway.

Then yes the PAC will no longer be a power conference, BUT if they pick the best of what is left in the MW then yes UNLV could still get an upgrade. It would be more like moving to the AAC vs a true power conference.

Or, they still try to move to the super conference model and possibly UNLV pops up again, but we would be fighting for one of the last spots, and I don't like our chances there.

History shows us that UNLV has not been high on the Big 12 list. They have decided to stand pat before when evreyone thought they were going to add schools. So interesting to see how this plays out.

Last edited:
A simple (upgrade) conference affiliation isn't going to solve UNLV's problems - the problem lies within the admins lack of commitment to athletics - UNLV doesn't know how to make money (but they have a large market and a great place to have a conference championship) They didn't build those huge conferences on stupidity - UNLV's shortcomings will keep them out ultimately- BIG time Athletic conferences aren't stupid enough to ignore the elephant in the room like the Diehards fans do. We might want to finish higher in the rankings in our own league before we set our sights on Better leagues ? Idk makes since to me - UNLV has to show SOMETHING in some RECENT MAJOR SPORT to be considered. What are we good at ?? After all, it is a collection of really good colleges who have a bunch of good teams in major sports - Do we fit that bill at all??? - compare the competition - the only thing we have going for us is a desirable market - thats it really - a great place to visit ? The Big 12 is a little more Bible Belt than the Pac 12 - How do they feel about going to sin City ? It matters -

Last edited:
Reactions: LINEBACKER_U
The big 12 is smart. They’re gobbling up schools on the west coast to surpass the PAC. Sounds like Colorado and Arizona are out if the financials aren’t close to what the big 12 is offering. Colorado wants to be a big time football program again and Arizona wants to go to an upgraded basketball conference. Doesn’t sound like utah and Arizona st want to make the move due to academics, but will depend on if pac implodes or not. Either way there will be an opening for UNLV. After San Diego st. Seems like UNLV and Colorado st would be the top targets in the west. We’ll see. Next 30 days will be interesting.

Honestly if Utah and ASU stay put, that may be UNLV's best, most likely scenario.

I really don't think Big 12 wants us. If they get Arizona, then it is less likely, but not out of the question. It is UNLV's best case scenario, but the most far fetched.

The PAC without CU and Arizona (if it stays there) is good for UNLV. I really don't think UNLV is being considered as a UCLA/USC replacement, but could be for UofA/CU.

The PAC would still be a lesser league than a true power conference, but there is still some meat left on the bones, especially if Oregon and U Dub stick around. Definitely a big step up for UNLV.

Last edited:
I doubt the Pac 12 goes more than 2 expansion candidates but interesting to see that UNLV is ahead of Tulane and CSU and Hawaii ahead of Boise and Fresno!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
My question is since football is no longer losing money can the university afford the new MWC exist fee?. If we get an invite to another conference.

since football is no longer losing money
Has that changed?

Paying the second highest paid fb coach in conference history and 75% of a top 15 paid coach in conference history and a lease at Allegiant.

If it isn't net negative still. It has to be close, right?

Looks like our athletic department is turning an annual profit of around $1.6 million.
That does look like as of the 2022-23 season, so the new coaching salary numbers may not be factored in. That being said the first year of Odom's contract isn't that much higher than what Arroyo finished with. However, uncertain if the buyout is part of this equation either. Though that was "private funding" and may not matter anyway.

Say what you want about DRF, but she did balance the books big time. There were many factors beyond her control, but still.

It sure does seem like the contract with Allegiant is more financially friendly to the school vs the costs with Sam Boyd.

Hopefully both programs have a breakout year the program will be swimming in it!

Has that changed?

Paying the second highest paid fb coach in conference history and 75% of a top 15 paid coach in conference history and a lease at Allegiant.

If it isn't net negative still. It has to be close, right?
UNLV football gets paid 5 Million per year by the Raiders to close Sam Boyd.

That does look like as of the 2022-23 season, so the new coaching salary numbers may not be factored in. That being said the first year of Odom's contract isn't that much higher than what Arroyo finished with. However, uncertain if the buyout is part of this equation either. Though that was "private funding" and may not matter anyway.

Say what you want about DRF, but she did balance the books big time. There were many factors beyond her control, but still.

It sure does seem like the contract with Allegiant is more financially friendly to the school vs the costs with Sam Boyd.

Hopefully both programs have a breakout year the program will be swimming in it!
And the Raiders lease
The Raiders are leasing Allegiant Stadium for $1 a year for the next 28 years!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT