ADVERTISEMENT

Sneed's 91-yard run

Kind of interesting: we had two huge plays on the heels of potentially momentum-swinging plays.

In the 2nd quarter, Darren Woods Jr. goes down with an ugly injury further depleting an already thin receiving corps. I think everyone in the building expected the offense to pound the ball after Woods was helped off the field. Instead, Coach Cotton made his best play call of the night, IMO, with a hard play action and Sneed hit a wide open Trosclair for a 60 yard TD.

Then the Sneed run in the 3rd quarter came on the heels of a big reversal call where it was originally ruled FSU ball on a catch-and-fumble. Just a huge individual effort (along with some nice blocks on the sideline) on a broken play and he was gone.

One nice playcall and one huge effort swung momentum in our favor in crucial moments.

Kind of interesting: we had two huge plays on the heels of potentially momentum-swinging plays.

In the 2nd quarter, Darren Woods Jr. goes down with an ugly injury further depleting an already thin receiving corps. I think everyone in the building expected the offense to pound the ball after Woods was helped off the field. Instead, Coach Cotton made his best play call of the night, IMO, with a hard play action and Sneed hit a wide open Trosclair for a 60 yard TD.

Then the Sneed run in the 3rd quarter came on the heels of a big reversal call where it was originally ruled FSU ball on a catch-and-fumble. Just a huge individual effort (along with some nice blocks on the sideline) on a broken play and he was gone.

One nice playcall and one huge effort swung momentum in our favor in crucial moments.

I might be in the minority here, but I think Cotton has been a pretty solid play caller. I think execution has been our biggest issue vs play calling.

When we played Boise State last year everbody assumed we would try and take the air out of the ball and shorten the game. Instead Cotton came out aggressive and we were in that game until late in the 4th.

Last year Decker's weekly 'questionable' health status had to make game planning difficult. He and Palandech had very different skill sets.

In the Fresno and San Jose State games that Palandech started last year, we put 28 points on the board.

This year the only game I think you can point to where the play calling was questionable was Idaho.

I can't put 7 drops in the CMU game on him.

SDSU will be a real test this weekend, especially for a QB making his second career start. Rocky Long runs a very complex 3-3-5 defense. They bring pressure from everywhere, mix up their looks a lot and are talented.

I think Cotton will have to challenge the Aztecs downfield early to loosen them up.

In general, Cotton is more predictable than I'd like. On top of that, I don't think he uses Boyd enough. There were SO many times last night that Boyd was single covered without safety help. We threw 2 deep passes to him. One catch, one drop/breakup. The fact that we didn't do it AT ALL against Idaho is the biggest reason we lost the game, IMO.

In general, Cotton is more predictable than I'd like. On top of that, I don't think he uses Boyd enough. There were SO many times last night that Boyd was single covered without safety help. We threw 2 deep passes to him. One catch, one drop/breakup. The fact that we didn't do it AT ALL against Idaho is the biggest reason we lost the game, IMO.

I agree on Idaho game.

This game, I think it was more about giving Sneed as many easy throws as possible. After a sluggish start we were able to run the ball effectively.

I have to think the rash of injuries at WR starting with Keyes, and then Presley has limited us in the passing game a little. Now with Woods out it won't get any easier.

Like I said I am probably in the minority, I think Cotton calls a pretty good game most Saturdays.

Reactions: mvvsmith
I agree that there has been more problems with execution than play calling on offense this year.

Boyd has been disappointing. He has drops on catchable balls in pretty much every game since the first.

WR injuries have been tough. Crazy how deep that position seemed and its quickly melting away.

I agree that we should be taking more shots. Stevenson's hands have been atrocious. Hopefully we see more stability in the WRs. Also the more reps that Sneed gets with the 1's should help their chemistry.

Reactions: mvvsmith
I agree that there has been more problems with execution than play calling on offense this year.

Boyd has been disappointing. He has drops on catchable balls in pretty much every game since the first.

WR injuries have been tough. Crazy how deep that position seemed and its quickly melting away.

I agree that we should be taking more shots. Stevenson's hands have been atrocious. Hopefully we see more stability in the WRs. Also the more reps that Sneed gets with the 1's should help their chemistry.

Funny thing with Stevenson, vs UCLA he made a tough catch in traffic for a TD, but has some drops on seemingly routine plays.

It looks like there is a chance Presley could miss the entire year.

Boyd, Trosclair, Stevenson. Holt and Price will probably be flexed out to fill the void some. Cui is also an option. He and Sneed had good chemistry during camp. At 5'6 he can probably only play in the slot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT