ADVERTISEMENT

SDSU & SMU top PAC Candidates

Can someone explain to me the academic side of this? SMU and SDSU are way better academic schools than UNLV. What is the measurement that is used in all of this?

Can someone explain to me the academic side of this? SMU and SDSU are way better academic schools than UNLV. What is the measurement that is used in all of this?
SDSU captures Southern California since USC and UCLA left. SMU captures the Dallas metroplex. Casual fans in these regional areas probably will tune in to the pac-12 late time slot on Saturdays.

UNLV is a Tier 1 research University. They invested a ton of cash into programs like medical and research-based sciences... SMU is Tier 2 and SDSU I believe is Tier 3. Pac 12 has all Tier 1 institutions. They would need to lower their admisssion standards in order to accept both schools.

• Love
Reactions: LVRebel2000
UNLV is a Tier 1 research University. They invested a ton of cash into programs like medical and research-based sciences... SMU is Tier 2 and SDSU I believe is Tier 3. Pac 12 has all Tier 1 institutions. They would need to lower their admisssion standards in order to accept both schools.
But we're like a really smart girl with huge breasts - nobody believes she's smart.

This is what I was looking for. Thank you for answering!

You guys should really walk around the campus at UNLV.

The Moyer Student Union is INCREDIBLE!!

They are also building a new engineering building.

UNLV misses out again. Will we ever get our shat together and get an invite? Hopefully this won’t be the end of the PAC adding schools. It would be nice if Big 12 decided to go west and add a western partner for BYU.

SDSU is up there with Chico State when it comes to academics. UNLV used to be pretty bad but sped past them.
While the average GPA and test scores are higher at SDSU then UNLV, we have a much higher rated school in regards to research. The main reason that SDSU has higher GPA and test scores out of high school has to do with the number of applicants due to the overflow of high school students trying to get into any school in California. SDSU has a 37.9% acceptance rate even Chico State has an 85.5% acceptance rate, and UNLV has a 83.5% acceptance rate. Since UNLV is the only public university in southern Nevada, they are more open on acceptance of students. unr has a 88.2% acceptance rate.

I view this more as kicking the tires than any actual movement from Pac 12. Theyre trying to gauge from their media partners how SMU addition looks for their next media deal. There's still a lot more that needs to go into the PAC 12 inviting someone like SMU into their midst.

A six that builds and pays for a new conference headquarters is pretty attractive too. What part of transforming into the sports capital does everyone not get. It’s not about the product it”s location Location location. Plus LVCVA dollars do’nt hurt. They want a sponsor school and a
Grateful school is better than overconfident school.

Thread title was slightly misleading. It implies that SMU and SDSU are the top two candidates. Really from clicking on the article, it just says that pac-12 is meeting with SMU and that SMU and SDSU are "top candidates"... Not the top 2.

Reactions: StoneDog21
I understand wanting into that Dallas Market...but SMU will never own/run Dallas. I'm not saying it's like adding Loyola Marymount to get the LA market--they have more prestige than that, but it's not far from that. North Texas, UT Arlington, and UT Dallas are all bigger schools in the area for enrollment and for alumni. I would argue that UTAustin, TAMU, Baylor, Houston, TCU, and Oklahoma all have more 'fans' in the metroplex than SMU. It also doesn't make a ton of geographic sense--but with the BIG going from LA to Jersey I guess that probably doesn't matter anymore.

I understand wanting into that Dallas Market...but SMU will never own/run Dallas. I'm not saying it's like adding Loyola Marymount to get the LA market--they have more prestige than that, but it's not far from that. North Texas, UT Arlington, and UT Dallas are all bigger schools in the area for enrollment and for alumni. I would argue that UTAustin, TAMU, Baylor, Houston, TCU, and Oklahoma all have more 'fans' in the metroplex than SMU. It also doesn't make a ton of geographic sense--but with the BIG going from LA to Jersey I guess that probably doesn't matter anymore.
Well considering that TCU is already IN the metroplex than for sure they have a bigger slice of the Market.
But like Houston, most of the market are UT, A&M, then TCU, TTU, and even OU before SMU. Though it has a decent following locally.
Not too dissimilar to UNLV to be honest. It is possible that UNLV has a better market share than SMU, but SMU has more reliable eyeballs on TV sets than UNLV does.

I know endowment isn't a be all end all stat of universities and is generally not relevant to athletics, but since we are considering academics...

SMU endowment is $2b. SDSU and UNLV combined is under $700m. When you add up endowment for all MWC West division reams, its right around $2 billion.

That's not a nonfactor, just not sure how much it applies...

Lol neither will UNLV with Las Vegas. That ship has sailed.

Well considering that TCU is already IN the metroplex than for sure they have a bigger slice of the Market.
But like Houston, most of the market are UT, A&M, then TCU, TTU, and even OU before SMU. Though it has a decent following locally.
Not too dissimilar to UNLV to be honest. It is possible that UNLV has a better market share than SMU, but SMU has more reliable eyeballs on TV sets than UNLV does.
Can't believe I forgot Tech, yeah, they're definitely up there!

Lol neither will UNLV with Las Vegas. That ship has sailed.
I wasn't trying to say UNLV was a better choice, just that I didn't really understand SMU. SMU has some big money in its booster pool, but they draw similar attendance numbers to MWC teams--and not really the good ones. And that means us.

I wasn't trying to say UNLV was a better choice, just that I didn't really understand SMU. SMU has some big money in its booster pool, but they draw similar attendance numbers to MWC teams--and not really the good ones. And that means us.
All about money brother. SMU has a big endowment. They’re paying their players 55k a piece. We can’t compete with that and most programs. Who do you think would be better programs to invite? Thought San Diego st. and SMU were top two. Think next up is us, Boise, Fresno and Colorado st.

Just listened to the 365 podcast. Who have done a good job on the expansion front. Sounds like Boise and UNLV are probably up next. The good thing is the super conferences are bigger and that’s the formal to model after moving forward. PAC and Big 12 are competing with each other, which is good for west coast teams. So there may be another round of expansion sooner rather than later. We’ll see…

All about money brother. SMU has a big endowment. They’re paying their players 55k a piece. We can’t compete with that and most programs. Who do you think would be better programs to invite? Thought San Diego st. and SMU were top two. Think next up is us, Boise, Fresno and Colorado st.
I do think it's all about money at the end of the day, but I don't know what them paying their athletes helps the PAC12's bottom line, or what the size of their endowment has to do with conference income. These guys couldn't keep Sonny Dykes home despite their endowment, he went 40 minutes east.

If you aren't bringing enough to the table to cover the now much larger travel budget things like women's soccer are going to require, then you have to do some real rebalancing to make it work--especially when you're negotiating your media deal without them in the fold. I guess that's the part that doesn't make sense to me. Adding DFW seems like something you'd do before negotiating for a new deal.

You could probably start an East division to reduce the travel costs and pair them with Utah, Colorado, and the two Arizona schools to help cut down on travel expenses for things like women's sports and sports that aren't quite as profitable like soccer and baseball. You probably need at least one more team in that region moving forward to have that make geographic sense. I think it's more about getting a foothold in Texas, even if it's not at the top of the mountain. I also think SMU has the most potential of the FBS Texas schools still on the table (UTEP, UTSA, N.Texas, Rice, Texas State), so maybe that's the thought behind the move--who can P5 elevate the fastest?

As for who I think would be better, I think that's the question that makes my argument fall apart. If you're looking for a Texas footprint. You could argue UTSA has been better under Traylor than SMU was last year without Dykes--but SMU brings a lot more eyes to the TV screen--just not a clearly higher number of butts in seats.

So I guess even though I might disagree with your supporting argument, I think you're right on the bottom line and I just sort have to shrug and ignore my pedantry.

WIth SC and UCLA already gone, I strongly believe Oregon and UW are not far behind because they know the PAC is a sinking ship, it will open spots for schools like Fresno and UNLV. Oregon and UW can not and will not thrive in the PAC as it is today and as it will be when it gets even more diluted by adding schools like SDSU, SMU and even worse schools like UNLV and Fresno.

The new PAC will be better for those new schools than the MWC and much worse than the current PAC for those that are left behind.

Reactions: TimothyC3
Think
I do think it's all about money at the end of the day, but I don't know what them paying their athletes helps the PAC12's bottom line, or what the size of their endowment has to do with conference income. These guys couldn't keep Sonny Dykes home despite their endowment, he went 40 minutes east.

If you aren't bringing enough to the table to cover the now much larger travel budget things like women's soccer are going to require, then you have to do some real rebalancing to make it work--especially when you're negotiating your media deal without them in the fold. I guess that's the part that doesn't make sense to me. Adding DFW seems like something you'd do before negotiating for a new deal.

You could probably start an East division to reduce the travel costs and pair them with Utah, Colorado, and the two Arizona schools to help cut down on travel expenses for things like women's sports and sports that aren't quite as profitable like soccer and baseball. You probably need at least one more team in that region moving forward to have that make geographic sense. I think it's more about getting a foothold in Texas, even if it's not at the top of the mountain. I also think SMU has the most potential of the FBS Texas schools still on the table (UTEP, UTSA, N.Texas, Rice, Texas State), so maybe that's the thought behind the move--who can P5 elevate the fastest?

As for who I think would be better, I think that's the question that makes my argument fall apart. If you're looking for a Texas footprint. You could argue UTSA has been better under Traylor than SMU was last year without Dykes--but SMU brings a lot more eyes to the TV screen--just not a clearly higher number of butts in seats.

So I guess even though I might disagree with your supporting argument, I think you're right on the bottom line and I just sort have to shrug and ignore my pedantry.
I like UTSA too. Was hoping mountain west when considering expansion would have added. UTSA has done a great job with the football program. Like that they play in the Alamodome too.

SMU is also a top 100 school in academics. UTSA top 400.

Dallas > San Antonio for TV market. Agree SMU only has so many eyes, but I’m sure pitching Dallas to media is better for negotiations.

SMU’s basketball program is way better.

Paying there football players doesn’t help PACs bottom line, but it’s good to know there is a clear commitment to the program. Should insure better talent to compete in the future. 55k sounds like a lot of money when you’re 18 years old.

Last edited:
Also not understanding the push back with San Diego St.

Great location and market place. Having a team in Southern California has to be vital for the PAC. Also not competing with chargers anymore.

New football stadium.

Great basketball program.

Not great at academics, but UNLV isn’t much better. If anything this is good for unlv that PAC is open to schools that aren’t amazing academically anymore.

The reality all the schools have some warts. There isn’t any perfect expansion teams.

The good news is the more I read and listen to pods. UNLV really does seem to the next program up. We just need to win now to get us over the hump. Either PAC or Big 12. Depending on how the dominos fall. BIG 10 sounds like they’re still expanding, which will help us down the road.

Reactions: rebel5280
I hope Odom gets the football program on solid ground this fall… and I would prefer the Big 12 over the Pac 12 for UNLV. The Big 12 would be better in both football and basketball than crap Pac 12 conference that is falling apart at the seems. There will be more defections by U of A, ASU, CU and Utah after UW and Oregon leave, believe that!

I look at all of these comments and say, "ESPN" and "CBS" will decide. Streaming tv sports which is basically ESPN+ is a very cheap app, it takes a lot of subscribers to pay for tv crews etc. Advertisers have to pay the bills and that means sales. Show me the money that comes from on line ads for streaming sports and I can make a better evaluation.

I hope Odom gets the football program on solid ground this fall… and I would prefer the Big 12 over the Pac 12 for UNLV. The Big 12 would be better in both football and basketball than crap Pac 12 conference that is falling apart at the seems. There will be more defections by U of A, ASU, CU and Utah after UW and Oregon leave, believe that!
You need to think bigger. We should ask for SEC. There’s room for 2 bottom feeder schools.

I don’t want to join the Pac 10. It will be a shell of a conference once we are invited.

• Haha
Sounds like this is happening very soon. The fact that the Pac 12 commissioner is in Dallas looking at facilities and attending a Basketball game. I really hope we are next.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT