ADVERTISEMENT

Sanchez?

UNLVWINS

Lottery Pick
May 14, 2005
Do you guys think Sanchez will be back if we don’t qualify for a bowl? I wonder what the new AD will do. Maybe they will just end up firing this Beir guy.

Ahhh. Now I get it. Mr negative. Blessings brother.
I am not trying to be negative but I do not see many improvements. The offense is better but the defense is horrible. I would like to see the conversion rate on 3rd and long, it has to be one of the worst in football. I want this program to succeed but we are not that close yet. Recruiting is getting way better so hopefully in a couple of years we can truely make the climb to mediocrity, which would be a step in the rright direction.

I would agree that its getting better. Copied this straight from Wikipedia:

Coach Years Win-Loss-Tie Percentage
Mike Sanford 2005–2009 16–43–0 .259
Bobby Hauck 2010–2014 13–38–0 .254
Tony Sanchez 2015– 7–16–0 .304

And Tony has increased the number of wins annually since he has been here. Don't get me wrong, its not stellar and defense is not good, BUT yes, its better.

I would agree that its getting better. Copied this straight from Wikipedia:

Coach Years Win-Loss-Tie Percentage
Mike Sanford 2005–2009 16–43–0 .259
Bobby Hauck 2010–2014 13–38–0 .254
Tony Sanchez 2015– 7–16–0 .304

And Tony has increased the number of wins annually since he has been here. Don't get me wrong, its not stellar and defense is not good, BUT yes, its better.
At least it was a seamless transition from Sanford to Hauck.

Jesus. 36-97.

Wow.

That really is hard to do. You can accidentally trip into more wins.

Reactions: mvvsmith
No way Sanchez gets fired this season. Even if he loses the rest of the games (which he won't)

Overall things are better, but by not much. At least yet.

You have to hold on to him because:

1#: No money, that is by far the biggest

#2: Recruiting. He has recruited better (at least on paper) than any other coach UNLV has had. Most of the big recruits are incoming or underclassmen. They'll need a couple of years to develop. Sanchez may have a pretty talented team in a couple of years.

3#: Financial ties. CTS has helped raise record amounts of money and was instrumental in getting the practice facility in. Firing him now (which is premature given the status of the program anyway), would piss off the little money we have.

Reactions: 530Rebel
Do you guys think Sanchez will be back if we don’t qualify for a bowl? I wonder what the new AD will do. Maybe they will just end up firing this Beir guy.

The question is and insinuation is funny. The UNLV football coach and the UNLV basketball coach are 2 totally different jobs. Football doesn't usually go to a bowl game..If we fired a coach every time we didn't go to a bowl game, well we would've had a lot of coaches by now (every year?). Football coaches here usually gets 5 years even if they stink. Sanchez at least is seemingly improving the program.

When Sanchez was hired I thought it was a horrible hire and I still think it was a bad hire but noway can you fire him this year even if he only gets one more win. As stated by rebelwithacause in football you need to give the coach 5 years. We are not Michigan that you can fire a coach after 2-3 years. We don't have the funds nor do we have a line of coaches just waiting to get the Head UNLV football coaching job. After next year if he hasn't got UNLV to a bowl then I think he will be on the hot seat for his fifth year and at that point either show substantial progress or be shown the door but at this point to fire him would be a huge mistake.

As I said earlier. We are inprovig. Maybe not to your expectations
When Sanchez was hired I thought it was a horrible hire and I still think it was a bad hire but noway can you fire him this year even if he only gets one more win. As stated by rebelwithacause in football you need to give the coach 5 years. We are not Michigan that you can fire a coach after 2-3 years. We don't have the funds nor do we have a line of coaches just waiting to get the Head UNLV football coaching job. After next year if he hasn't got UNLV to a bowl then I think he will be on the hot seat for his fifth year and at that point either show substantial progress or be shown the door but at this point to fire him would be a huge mistake.

That is hard to argue with. Give him five years. Go TS and unlv

I hope you wouldn't fire a guy who has recruited a top level quarterback, skilled positions and a young big offensive line. The offense has made great strides. The marketing alone is worth it he recruits out of a private plane. He has improved the facilities tremendously. The exposure UNLV has received nationally commercials, uniforms, and the new complex. Let him build it right I like CTS as a person a leader of young men and his engagement in the community. But go get a defensive coordinator that thinks outside the box we can't play base defense we need unique schemes.
If it were me I would recruit speed on defense, get after qb's and run blitzes and when you go out and recruit potential db's let them know more than likely you'll be playing a lot of man coverage which will prepare you for the pros, can you handle the pressure. See what we get.
But I am a big fan of CTS he has non stop energy and is married to Vegas.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I hope you wouldn't fire a guy who has recruited a top level quarterback, skilled positions and a young big offensive line. The offense has made great strides. The marketing alone is worth it he recruits out of a private plane. He has improved the facilities tremendously. The exposure UNLV has received nationally commercials, uniforms, and the new complex. Let him build it right I like CTS as a person a leader of young men and his engagement in the community. But go get a defensive coordinator that thinks outside the box we can't play base defense we need unique schemes.
If it were me I would recruit speed on defense, get after qb's and run blitzes and when you go out and recruit potential db's let them know more than likely you'll be playing a lot of man coverage which will prepare you for the pros, can you handle the pressure. See what we get.
But I am a big fan of CTS he has non stop energy and is married to Vegas.
I agree with your defensive philosophy because it's doable and can be really effective. TCU really did a number defensively with a ton of speed and aggression. They weren't outsizing anybody, but they were flying all over the field applying pressure. Of course, you have to be not only aggressive, but ridiculously sound (tackling) and disciplined. It's a fun style to watch.

Especially with the teams we play... in general.., QB's aren't strong with quick reads or progressions, receivers aren't adept at cutting routes. Now if you get everything to speed up, you have a huge advantage.

I like the idea. Always have.

Sanchez is getting at least 2 more years unless he violates some major rules or something like that.

You can't risk alienating the people who have given him money for the program. Make no mistake; the Fertitta money and other money that came in may say UNLV Football on the checks, but they were for Sanchez.

The recruiting has been better, he has what appears to be a stud QB sharpied in for the next 3 years and the record has improved each year. It would be disappointing if we don't make a bowl game this season, but not really shocking.

Something needs to be done about the defense. There definitely needs to be a big focus on upgrading the talent on defense, but the coaching has been questionable at best on that side of the ball. We don't have the talent, depth or playmakers to just be playing straight up. We need to manufacture pressure, turnovers, etc...

Worst case scenario, Sanchez sucks for 2 more years and we go into a new coaching search with a shiny new practice facility, and NFL stadium and Armani Rogers starting as a senior. Who knows what kind of money would be there to hire a new coach, but the job would look a lot more attractive if it comes to that.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I agree with your defensive philosophy because it's doable and can be really effective. TCU really did a number defensively with a ton of speed and aggression. They weren't outsizing anybody, but they were flying all over the field applying pressure. Of course, you have to be not only aggressive, but ridiculously sound (tackling) and disciplined. It's a fun style to watch.

Especially with the teams we play... in general.., QB's aren't strong with quick reads or progressions, receivers aren't adept at cutting routes. Now if you get everything to speed up, you have a huge advantage.

I like the idea. Always have.

I am all over that! I have seen TCU several times as they are 1.5 hours from my home. I have caught all the Rebel games there for years. There D was seriously entertaining. The part of the game I loathed was when the announcer would say "And it's third down" with a really irritating tone followed by a gong!

I am all over that! I have seen TCU several times as they are 1.5 hours from my home. I have caught all the Rebel games there for years. There D was seriously entertaining. The part of the game I loathed was when the announcer would say "And it's third down" with a really irritating tone followed by a gong!
Just gotta load up on speedy DB's, some become smaller linebackers, but ultra active.

We aren't going to get 4/5 star lineman and linebackers. I'm not saying doing recruit any, but base the defense on speed and aggression so you can compete, mix it up, show a shit ton of packages... take advantage of where most D1 teams we play are weakest. Quick decision making. Force them to do things they don't want to do or force them more quickly than they are used to, keep them guessing. We are blitzing from the corner with a 10 yard cushion to protect from getting beat deep and we are wondering why there are third down conversions? We are easy to read.

Just gotta load up on speedy DB's, some become smaller linebackers, but ultra active.

We aren't going to get 4/5 star lineman and linebackers. I'm not saying doing recruit any, but base the defense on speed and aggression so you can compete, mix it up, show a shit ton of packages... take advantage of where most D1 teams we play are weakest. Quick decision making. Force them to do things they don't want to do or force them more quickly than they are used to, keep them guessing. We are blitzing from the corner with a 10 yard cushion to protect from getting beat deep and we are wondering why there are third down conversions? We are easy to read.

TCU does it with predominently 3 star guys. Wit an improved team and new facilities, I see UNLV getting more 3 star guys on D. The question becomes, who will coach them up?

https://tcu.rivals.com/commitments/football/2018

We are going to be fine with Sanchez!! They can build the whole thing around Armani. He is very talented!!

I used to drive up to every away UNLV game at TCU when we were in the same conference.

They recruited speed, would bulk them up, and put them on D. They also recruited extremely successful HS football players that would perhaps be a little undersized to get notice from top programs. So a lot of fundamentally sound smart football players.

It helps that they have a ton of players in Texas to recruit from.

Going for speed on defense is not a bad idea, and it seems like they are trying to go that direction. Speed helps when defending spread and air raid offenses, which are definitely the thing in college in football these days. You become a little more susceptible to power running games.

Either way you have to mix things up. Keep the offense on their toes. You also have to prepare the team to make daring play calls quickly with so many teams running tempo

Sanchez was playing for the future when he started Amari against Howard. Why would he think he needs to win this year. There is no urgency on the staff.

As I said earlier. We are inprovig. Maybe not to your expectations

That is hard to argue with. Give him five years. Go TS and unlv
As long as we win one more game than last again we are technically improving and he has to get more time. But I do believe our defense hasn't improved. It's the same bag of crap now that it was when he arrived. Our defense was bottom 10-20 in the country and I don't believe that has changed.

Reactions: karaoke_jesus
As long as we win one more game than last again we are technically improving and he has to get more time. But I do believe our defense hasn't improved. It's the same bag of crap now that it was when he arrived. Our defense was bottom 10-20 in the country and I don't believe that has changed.

We are screwed for the foreseeable future then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT