Barney Cotton
- OC (previously w/ Nebraska)
John Garrison- OL (previously w/ Nebraska
Kent Baer- DC/ LB's (from Colorado)
Andy Larussa- Safeties/ Special teams)
Joe SeuMalo- DL (Oregon State)
Ron O'Dell
- QB's (Gorman)
Keith Belton - Strength & Conditioning (USC)
Cedric Cormier- WR (UNLV)
JD Williams- CB's (Georgia State/ UNLV 2012)

Experienced from top to bottom. Guys coming from established programs. The DC Kent Baer is a little surprising but after being at SJSU he is very familiar with the conference and teams we will face.

Players seemed to be excited to see Cormier retained and JD Williams brought back.

This post was edited on 12/22 1:30 PM by rebelbuck

This post was edited on 12/22 1:32 PM by rebelbuck

Re: Sanchez Staff So far

I actually get the feeling like there is a recruiting plan other than the previous "well, what's left?" approach.

Also:

Jaime Christian - RB (previously w/ Houston) - Jamie Christian, one of the top special teams coordinators in the nation with an award-winning recruiting background.
J.D. Williams - CB

The Defensive Coordinator (hopefully Skipper) and safeties coach will be announced Friday.

This post was edited on 12/18 12:19 PM by DocRebel

An email i got from Mark Anderson at the RJ

I don't know the name because it's sensitive and UNLV
doesn't want to let it out, but I was told by three people yesterday that it's
not Skipper.

Good stuff, lanea. I'm certainly interested to see how it plays out.

I like the idea of Skipper, but if it's someone better than him, that can't be a bad thing.

Although I don't know how much you can trust denials that Skipper is the guy. If Skipper "isn't" going to be the DC the same way Lorenzo Fertitta "isn't" offering financial support to the program, then I expect Skipper is the guy.

We'll see...

Originally posted by lanea1:

not Skipper.
Heard the exact same thing yesterday. In fact, our stories are eerily similar.

Originally posted by RebelmominLV:

Originally posted by lanea1:

not Skipper.
Heard the exact same thing yesterday. In fact, our stories are eerily similar.
I heard it was going to be Ed Orgeron......... JK!
smokin.r191677.gif

Mark Anderson þ@markanderson65 · 9m9 minutes ago
Kent Baer hired at #UNLVFB as defensive coordinator. Had same title at Colorado

Originally posted by Rebel1986:
Mark Anderson þ@markanderson65 · 9m9 minutes ago
Kent Baer hired at #UNLVFB as defensive coordinator. Had same title at Colorado
Man, someone wasted no time posting it on wiki either!

Kent Lex Baer (born May 2, 1951) is an American UNLV.

Kent Baer

Weird decision, Colorado had a worse defense than the Rebel defense this year with a higher pecking order conference wise. Surprised he didn't just let Williams handle the duties.
This is a tone setting year for the Sanchez, he really has to have success this year to get prospects and the community to buy in.

I am hearing a lot about what a great guy that JD Williams is and how great it is to get him back but I seem to recall UNLV having the worst defensive backs in the country when he was here previously. Not too sure about that hire.

"he really has to have success this year to get prospects and the community to buy in. "

Seriously? This is UNLV, not Ohio State.

All he has to do is show a different direction, foundation, attitude... In terms of wins and loses, this town is used to nothing but the latter. So no, I don't think for a second that he needs to have real success in order to keep people interested. This thing just needs to change. That'll make most fans happy in the beginning.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Hauck fielded a competitive team versus teams that they should beat. Anything less is a step backwards and can be a huge setback as far a fan interest and prospect interest as well.
Having a high school guy as the coach is a perception problem to overcome. Minus tangible success on the field, it will be used heavily on the recruiting trail.
Football players choose college programs based on the odds of success on the field and the potential to make a career playing football.
This team needs to show life immediately or it will be a long 4 years IMO.

It will be interesting to see if Sanchez can win with Hauck's guys. If he can't, it's questionable re: his coaching abilities; if he can, then he's a better coach than Hauck. OTOH, if he can't, is it because he doesn't have the talent, because Hauck's recruiting was not that great; if he can, then did Hauck have the talent, and couldn't utilize it? It's the perennial question, as I see it: Is it the coaching, or the talent?

I suppose the two go together: Give the coach enough time to recruit his guys, then see. At any rate, I think it's too soon to expect a turnaround in one year, altho I guess it's been done. But, it took McElwain at CSU 3 or 4 years to turn that program around.

BTW, I'm surprised a HS coach had these kinds of college contacts to be able to recruit apparently talented asst.s so quickly. I'll confess ignorance on this aspect (well in a lot of things). I suppose the football grapevine on all levels is pretty active, so maybe some of you can "edicate" me.

I believe his personality is a good sales point to get this level of assistant coach to buy into a program that has been losing for a long time, and who will be run by a HS coach.

It should also be noted that he has shown that he can recruit top level high school players, was able to drastically increase the funding for BG football, build new facilities, and above all else win at a national level.

The last thing of importance is that it is obvious that he is willing to sacrifice and be underpaid for his position. Based on current MWC base salaries, he is the lowest paid head coach in the MWC. Based on past pay of some of these asst coaches, they may now be among the highest paid in the MWC. Whatever negotiations that occurred, it is obvious that much higher pay for the staff was far more important than what he is being paid.

The biggest question is where the additional fund came from to pay what is most likely a much higher salary for all of the asst coaches. One of the asst. coaches that came from Colorado was making about $450k per year with a guaranteed 6 year contract. That is big time pay for a program that has been perceived as small time.

PLEASE! Buy your tickets and show UNLV that if they can change the direction of the program, fans WILL come out and SUPPORT UNLV FOOTBALL.

It certainly appears that the coaching staff & early recruiting are way above the last several years. IF....TS and staff can bring in some truly high caliber players we are changing the culture....I will be at every game within 600 mile of my home in Texas next year. I am looking to finally travel to see our guys and drive home savoring a big fat W. Go Rebs

Competitive vs teams they should beat? Like Northern Arizona? the Lobos?

There weren't many they were supposed to beat. And when lined up against teams they should beat, very mixed bag. And against teams they were supposed to kill, still a mixed bag. So let's not make it sound like UNLV was "competitive" with Hauck. For one season, yes. The rest was terrible.

But you're making it sound like Sanchez has to turn this shipwreck completely around in one season otherwise it's failure, which is a joke. One of the strengths of this incoming staff is recruiting. You won't see the full effect of that for a couple of seasons.

I don't know what it is, maybe you hate Gorman, maybe you just don't like Sanchez, but you are certainly setting him up for only failure when reading your posts. Which is completely unfair. It's like an ultimatum - win next season or else! Horsecrap.

I'm a San Jose State fan. Baer is a good coach.

He led the tough, no-holds-barred defense that contributed to SJSU's 10-2 regular season in 2012, then was interim HC for SJSU's Military Bowl victory afterwards. I hope he turns things around at UNLV! When the Spartans visit Vegas in 2015, they could be in for a rude awakening.

Actually, my feeling is that it will be tough to recruit without immediate improvement on the field. Being straight from high school, he has to earn the trust of prospects that he can suceed on this level and a lack of success next season will make the program to tougher to sell.

Whether you have experience or not, you have to display SOMETHING attractive to get recruits. Whether it be a coaching style, playing style, a vision or wins. Wins aren't going to come first, IMO.

What did the last staff sell to recruits? Recruiting was weak. Decent in some skill spots, but weak overall. I'm willing to bet that this staffs first full class (I'm not counting this first year - that's about retainment of players and quick fill ins, it's not a true class, IMO) will be stronger than any Hauck class.

I understand what you are getting at - a lot of kids aren't going to look very seriously at a program with a HS HC. So yeah, they will have to overcome that. I just don't think they'll do it with on the field wins in year one, but I certainly think there are other ways to skin that cat and this staff will do that, until wins make it a bit easier.

"Hi, I'm HC and I was OC under Urban Meyer last year" oh wait we tried that.

Originally posted by WeMissYouShark:
"Hi, I'm HC and I was OC under Urban Meyer last year" oh wait we tried that.
One, you assume Sanford was even going 100% on recruiting. Two, no one liked Sanford...especially parents. I heard this from the parents of a couple recruits. Some stayed despite their dislike of the guy. Third, Utah was a MWC team. Sure they won the Fiesta, but they were still a MWC team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT