ADVERTISEMENT

Runnin again

RebPubnGrub

All American
Dec 4, 2008
i know it's NAU... but to see this squad playing as a team, busting ass on defense and sharing the ball makes me excited for this season.

What I love is the coaching. You see improvement after each game, and you see proper in game adjustments. Last game they only had 2 offensive boards and were badly out rebounded. This game we adjusted and killed them on the boards.

We finally have a good FT team as well, not gonna have to stress the last few mins of a game because they can't hit their f'in FT's.

BTW- wtf is a Golden Knight anyways? Horrible team name.

Despite the fact that we have very limited upside this year, it's a good start for Marvelously Mediocre Marv, all things considered. Excited to see how he handles himself and the team over the next 18 months....

It's really interesting listening to the comments of the head coach. Every single year of the Dave Rice era when the team lost a close game, Rice would say the team wasn't tough enough. EVERY SINGLE YEAR, even though he had a different group of players in all of those years. None of those teams had toughness according to him.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I haven't heard Menzies say that. What's interesting to me is Menzies seems more knowledgeable to me when I listen to him. Instead of saying "We need to have that intensity and that toughness," Menzies is better at identifying specific areas the team needs to improve at, and he often seems confident that he can improve or sometimes even correct those weaknesses.

There were a lot of major problems with the Rice teams that didn't really have anything to do with toughness IMO. With all the problems they had it's no surprise they would have difficult executing down the stretch. And guess what else helps at the end of the game that doesn't have much to do with toughness. Making free throws.

I would ignore all the predictions about this team btw. Those people are clueless. Nobody has a clue how good this team will be 2-3 months from now. With good coaching and players that really care (according to Menzies anyway), perhaps these guys will do much better than people expect.

Some of the Rice teams actually looked really bad early in the season and then showed improvement when they played the tougher teams (before they started struggling in conference play anyway). So it's not like those teams were always in a great situation at this point in the season, and those rosters often had a bunch of new players thrown in together so why can't this team do better than those teams?

Reactions: AnthemRebel
That was the most fun I've had watching a game in a long time. Tough defense and GREAT transition offense. Thank you Rebels!!!

That was a lot of fun. Four games in its hard not to like what we're seeing. Effort, unselfish play, attacking. It looks like there's genuine buy-in.

Cautiously optimistic. There's no reason this team should be good this year, but maybe they can be. Looking forward to Friday.

Regardless how we do over the short-term (this weekend) I'm impressed with the hustle and buy-in the current player's display. Can't wait to see what the first year (full) recruiting class of the Menzies/LeFluer, etc. era brings. Hopefully a PG.

Last edited:
From what we've seen in this admittedly short sample, I believe two things will happen. On the negative side, our guys are going to get embarrassed on national TV by Duke, Kansas and probably Oregon. They're (understandably) not at that level. We should be prepared.

But I fully expect them to play well in conference. With the exception of the Aztecs, they should be able to defend their home court, and pick up at least a couple of road wins. Those who picked the Rebels to finish last are in for a surprise.

Go Rebels!

images

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT