ADVERTISEMENT

Robert Whaley - best juco player in the country?

Hicks, Whaley, Cottrell, Nowell, and Gilbert or another 6'8 PF would be my starting lineup. Hicks at the point, Nowell at slash guard, Whaley on the glass, Cottrell at the free throw line and run the damn ball down their throats. We also might have some of our present starters back because of covid rules. Plus we need a strength coach, maybe we could hire the guy from CSI.
Hicks is not a point. This team aches for a proven point guard.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Hicks is not a point. This team aches for a proven point guard.
Many on these boards are trying to make him out to be a PG. He's not. He knows it. His coaches know it. His momma knows it.

We need two PG's (Gilbert cannot be one of them or else CKK will be looking for a job), several shooters who are at least 6'6", and two productive bigs who are at least 6'9" (not Whaley). Then we will have a chance.

Also, play straight man. Give up on the switching man-to-man or else we will continue to see our PG's guarding the other team's centers every time we have to defend.

Many on these boards are trying to make him out to be a PG. He's not. He knows it. His coaches know it. His momma knows it.

We need two PG's (Gilbert cannot be one of them or else CKK will be looking for a job), several shooters who are at least 6'6", and two productive bigs who are at least 6'9" (not Whaley). Then we will have a chance.

Also, play straight man. Give up on the switching man-to-man or else we will continue to see our PG's guarding the other team's centers every time we have to defend.
Hicks is a SG!

I would add we do need 2 wings who are 6’6” or above who can score, not just shoot. And 2 post players who can also score who are above 6’9” tall, both with a set of hands and good FT shooters!

Hicks, Whaley, Cottrell, Nowell, and Gilbert or another 6'8 PF would be my starting lineup.
I could see this lineup being competitive at times with Gilbert at PG, but it sounds like people are adamant Hicks isn’t a PG and can’t ever be one. Like, really adamant. No chance in hell, 1000% certain, can’t ever change, adamant. 😁 I’ll just assume the conviction is researched until I see the kid in a Rebel uniform, because all I’ve seen are his highlights. Which are awesome. He can fill it up and is super athletic.

For Gilbert to log any extended minutes at PG next year he needs to improve. I think he can. As of now, I don’t think you can count on him for more than spot minutes at PG, or against lower competition.

The PG we really need next year I heard just played his guts out in the 5A title game. I sure hope we can keep him home next year!

Last edited:

Switching man to man isn’t strong if you don’t have staunch defenders with some athleticism and length.

I could see this lineup being competitive at times with Gilbert at PG, but it sounds like people are adamant Hicks isn’t a PG and can’t ever be one. Like, really adamant. No chance in hell, 1000% certain, can’t ever change, adamant. 😁 I’ll just assume the conviction is researched until I see the kid in a Rebel uniform, because all I’ve seen are his highlights. Which are awesome. He can fill it up and is super athletic.

For Gilbert to log any extended minutes at PG next year he needs to improve. I think he can. As of now, I don’t think you can count on him for more than spot minutes at PG, or against lower competition.
Not adamant. But for a freshman? How’s Gilbert working at point as a sophomore? Now we are going to toss that to a freshman? Aside from the huge jump in talent and speed, now learning how to command a team …

Not adamant. But for a freshman? How’s Gilbert working at point as a sophomore? Now we are going to toss that to a freshman? Aside from the huge jump in talent and speed, now learning how to command a team …
I don’t disagree with you. But to say he can’t log even a few minutes there against some of the garbage teams we play next year?

Again, ok, I don’t really know, because I’ve never seen him. Maybe that’s completely beyond his skill set or desire, ever. It wouldn’t seem to be beyond his athleticism, at least to me. I think there are lots of examples of kids who turn into something a little different than they are at 17 as they grow up.

I don’t disagree with you. But to say he can’t log even a few minutes there against some of the garbage teams we play next year?

Again, ok, I don’t really know, because I’ve never seen him. Maybe that’s completely beyond his skill set or desire, ever. It wouldn’t seem to be beyond his athleticism, at least to me. I think there are lots of examples of kids who turn into something a little different than they are at 17 as they grow up.
Maybe he can. I haven’t seen him go live so I don’t have a good feel. I won’t discount the possibility. But I’ll rely more on likelihoods based upon keen observations, especially over the past 15-20 years or so (not necessarily before that since kids were more mentally mature and accountable back then compared to now).

Surprisingly, there aren’t as many videos as you would expect of him. But there are a couple of full game videos showing what he does. He does bring the ball up occasionally but he’s not a point. He’s a good scorer both inside and out but he is not big – meaning his frame is not big. I expect he’ll be like an average freshman and start out with 10 minutes or so a game. As he catches on, he may do better but you never know. But I think it’s more likely he’s like Hall and doesn’t break into the lineup till mid season rather than a break out freshman who starts out with 20 minutes a game.

Surprisingly, there aren’t as many videos as you would expect of him. But there are a couple of full game videos showing what he does. He does bring the ball up occasionally but he’s not a point. He’s a good scorer both inside and out but he is not big – meaning his frame is not big. I expect he’ll be like an average freshman and start out with 10 minutes or so a game. As he catches on, he may do better but you never know. But I think it’s more likely he’s like Hall and doesn’t break into the lineup till mid season rather than a break out freshman who starts out with 20 minutes a game.
Wink was a great four year player for us and highly sought 4-5 star. And he had a really nice freshman season.

And I think he scored right around 10 per game.

What I’m saying is a high recruit with high expectations had a good year for the Rebels … and it was only 10 ppg.

Being UNC is my second favorite team, behind UNLV, I have seen a few fr pg's that adjust to the college game very well. Now I know UNC is on an entirely different recruiting level but it at least gives a little hope it is possible. I have never seen this kid play, I haven't even watched any of his high lights. I am just hoping KK can find a decent pg to lead this team. It gets very tiring of having one of the worst back courts in the conference year in and year out but having the best facilities to attract better players. Unexcusable in my opinion

Hicks is a SG!

I would add we do need 2 wings who are 6’6” or above who can score, not just shoot. And 2 post players who can also score who are above 6’9” tall, both with a set of hands and good FT shooters!
"Hicks is a SG!"

My hope is that he becomes as good as Caleb Grill. I think that could be his ceiling - which is pretty good. ( Grill getting 38 min - averaging 10 a game - 37% from three - all in the Big 12)

Reactions: rebel5280
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT