ADVERTISEMENT

Ripe for the picking?

UNLV Basketball is interesting from a historical context. Otherwise...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
We have the bones to be a great program ,but unfortunately very little meat. Hopefully some weight gets added soon. I dont think i can invest so much time, money and most of all heart into a program that has not bought me but a smidgen of joy since Rice left ,but with a handful of good recruits most left early or never stepped on campus. Oh yea the 2 win at ranked SDSU and Reno is the only thing that comes to mind in the last 7 years. That is it. Pathetic.

The average fan is what 60? Jesus.
On this message board for sure.

Younger fans are out there. If the team ever starts winning we’ll see them in the seats immediately. Probably less so on message boards where the same 5 geezers jack every thread to vent their anger and trash the coach and team daily, pining for changes. People are entitled to share their feelings, it just makes for a boring convo for most younger fans.

Had this years team not blew two games in December against SF and SJSU by two possessions, the 12/31 game against SDSU would have sold out. Even if we lost that one (which of course we did), the 1/11 game against Boise would have been a packed house too. I think T&M would have been rocking for a 15-1 team coming off a big road win at the pit. I was at that Boisie game. Attendance was 5k and it was a crypt. Rebels led by two at halftime, then got smoked by 20 in the second half while everyone sat on their hands. I can’t help but wonder if 15k had attended, would that second half have gone differently. Maybe, maybe not. Ifs and butts.

Just my 2c. I’m sure it will piss off some old men, who likely respond that they aren’t mad, they’re “apathetic”. Oh well 🤙🏼

Last edited:
The only team I ever changed was my Hockey Alliance from the Isles to VGK.

I have added teams here and there, but the same teams I watched--good or bad--as a kid are the same teams I love now. And there has never been any extra room in my sports heart for another college hoops team. I just root for dogs in tourneys.

Reactions: AnthemRebel
On this message board for sure.

Younger fans are out there. If the team ever starts winning we’ll see them in the seats immediately. Probably less so on message boards where the same 5 geezers jack every thread to vent their anger and trash the coach and team daily, pining for changes. People are entitled to share their feelings, it just makes for a boring convo for most younger fans.

Had this years team not blew two games in December against SF and SJSU by two possessions, the 12/31 game against SDSU would have sold out. Even if we lost that one (which of course we did), the 1/11 game against Boise would have been a packed house too. I think T&M would have been rocking for a 15-1 team coming off a big road win at the pit. I was at that Boisie game. Attendance was 5k and it was a crypt. Rebels led by two at halftime, then got smoked by 20 in the second half while everyone sat on their hands. I can’t help but wonder if 15k had attended, would that second half have gone differently. Maybe, maybe not. Ifs and butts.

Just my 2c. I’m sure it will piss off some old men, who likely respond that they aren’t mad, they’re “apathetic”. Oh well 🤙🏼
.....the 12/31 game against SDSU would have sold out."

Would have been better attended but IMO, not a sellout. I believe the last time we had a game that was extremely well attended was the Arizona Game 2014-15. The attendance for that game was 15,300 and the T&M held 18000 at the time. But to think a great game like that would be equally attended could be a mistake. You need to remember we were averaging over 11000 at the time so the game only increased attendance by 4300. If you increase our average attendance now you may see up to 9000 for a great opponent. IMO, it would take several years of top-25 basketball to get back to the attendance we used to enjoy. Something we won't see any time soon - if ever.

Completely disagree with you Warthog, but your take is not unreasonable.

If we were 14-0 that NYE game would have been packed.

At 15-1 following a road win at #21, the BSU game would have been packed too.

I am just glad that Pitino is old enough to remember our glory days and that might 1-3% help sway him. I know i am way beyond optimistic ,but that is what keeps me as a fan. I hate flavor changers. They are the worst. As long as i keep following sports I cant change teams. I just cant. Too many memories POST 1990 as a fan to change that. I think i make good points even thou they are not as good as i think they are regardless they are good. There is a reason Pitino called us a sleeping giant. We have ALL the means or had to be great. The average fan is what 60? Jesus. That is one of the reasons crowds getting smaller they are all dying and not replacing with new blood.
"The average fan is what 60? Jesus."

And without them, the Rebels would be able to play in COX without any problem.

Completely disagree with you Warthog, but your take is not unreasonable.

If we were 14-0 that NYE game would have been packed.

At 15-1 following a road win at #21, the BSU game would have been packed too.
Im not so sure. We were beating bad teams and beating them by less than 10 in most cases. Good teams beat bad teams usually pretty handily . I think most people saw the fools gold. I was hopping we would get better with more chemistry and getting IC back. Never saw it.

Im not so sure. We were beating bad teams and beating them by less than 10 in most cases. Good teams beat bad teams usually pretty handily . I think most people saw the fools gold. I was hopping we would get better with more chemistry and getting IC back. Never saw it.
You think if the Rebs were 14-0 headed to SDSU most fans would have smelled fools gold and stayed home? We’d have likely been ranked, or literally just outside of.

Ok. I guess we can think whatever we want about a hypothetical. Thanks for your opinion.

I found it very hard to root for UNR when I went there for college. I grew up rooting for UNLV all my life...I couldn't switch that off overnight, but props to people who can and embrace school spirit.

Reactions: AnthemRebel
Sour grapes? More like reality. There will be plenty of schools willing to hire him and pay him with a lot more opportunity than UNLV has to offer him for those final 5-6 years. If Im Texas he is the first person I call.
I think Calipari ends up at Texas if he flops in the tourney this year TBH

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT