ADVERTISEMENT

Reno - I see their point

khokhol8

National Player of the Year
May 24, 2012
An article in the Reno Gazette from June 2017 was republished this week. It is about the fact that Las Vegas writers refuse to refer to UNR as "Nevada" and how desperately they want to be called "Nevada" by the Las Vegas writers and by UNLV.

http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/col...-mailbag-whats-up-vegas-fetish-unr/103007808/

I kind of get their point. I mean, we love being the University of Nevada Las Vegas because Las Vegas is a phenomenal, world renown, city. We embrace the "Las Vegas" part of our title because Las Vegas is AWESOME. The people up north don't want to be referred to as "Reno" because Reno is a dump. When referred to as Reno they are automatically compared to Las Vegas and there really is no comparison. When recruits take their official visits to UNR they take them to Lake Tahoe...It's like an hour away from their campus. For official visits to UNLV we show off our amazing city. If I, personally, was from Reno, I wouldn't want to claim it. I would try to get the name of the university changed so that it didn't reflect the name Reno too. Reno just has a bad connotation to it. So I guess I get where they are coming from. Too bad for them they are stuck with UNR. It's their official name! The school website is www.unr.edu. Thank goodness I am from Las Vegas and attended UNLV and not Reno.

An article in the Reno Gazette from June 2017 was republished this week. It is about the fact that Las Vegas writers refuse to refer to UNR as "Nevada" and how desperately they want to be called "Nevada" by the Las Vegas writers and by UNLV.

http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/col...-mailbag-whats-up-vegas-fetish-unr/103007808/

I kind of get their point. I mean, we love being the University of Nevada Las Vegas because Las Vegas is a phenomenal, world renown, city. We embrace the "Las Vegas" part of our title because Las Vegas is AWESOME. The people up north don't want to be referred to as "Reno" because Reno is a dump. When referred to as Reno they are automatically compared to Las Vegas and there really is no comparison. When recruits take their official visits to UNR they take them to Lake Tahoe...It's like an hour away from their campus. For official visits to UNLV we show off our amazing city. If I, personally, was from Reno, I wouldn't want to claim it. I would try to get the name of the university changed so that it didn't reflect the name Reno too. Reno just has a bad connotation to it. So I guess I get where they are coming from. Too bad for them they are stuck with UNR. It's their official name! The school website is www.unr.edu. Thank goodness I am from Las Vegas and attended UNLV and not Reno.

It’s been a twenty or so year debate, back and forth. They’re UNR. They can call themselves what they want. That they want it changed so desperately shows an over the top insecurity with who they are. Oh, they’ll toss out this, that and the other to try and rationalize it but everyone knows it’s deeply rooted in an insecurity. Even they know it, but they won’t admit it. And that they sound like a naggy spouse actually makes it quite comical to me. And that everything UNLV keeps calling them UNR, it’s petty, but I find it funny. If they didn’t push it so hard, if they didn’t whine like a toddler who wants their Skittles while in the checkout line, I doubt anybody would have cared. They can call themselves whatever, we can call them UNR. Whatever. It’s no big deal.

I’d hate to think I’d completely change my identity because I can’t accept myself for who I am.

I LOVE calling Reno Reno. Love calling them UNR. And that they don’t like it makes it even better. ps.. I was born in Vegas in the fifties. The hatred runs deep. But not as deep as their hatred for us.

Reno follow us around everywhere we go. How in hell. From the Big west to the WAC and now to the MWC. If we get into a higher conference...DONT BRING THEM ALONG!

Reactions: Don-F
Reno follow us around everywhere we go. How in hell. From the Big west to the WAC and now to the MWC. If we get into a higher conference...DONT BRING THEM ALONG!
Aside from the usual discontent with being around UNR, if we are in a P5, I love the idea of them not being. That makes it an incredibly relevant non conference game that would draw for both schools. If we were in Big 12 or Pac 12, all of those conference games would do great attendance-wise. Only having to deal with 2 home noncons, and one being Reno would be great!

It makes me laugh, that is enough.
Their personal insecurity I find hilarious. And whoever said it is right. The fact that they take it so poorly makes it twice as funny.

But my objection has more to do with the arrogance of it all. How dare they presume that they have the right to represent the entire state?

When you ask any sports fan, anywhere in the USA, to name a team from Nevada, who do you think they will come up with, off the top of their head? I’ll give you a hint. It ain’t gonna be the school from that little burg that used to be known for quickie divorces.

They are UNR. They can pretend they’re whatever they like. They can call themselves Notre Dame if they want. But they would still be UNR. So live with it, Wolfpack. Come to think of it, you should call yourselves North Carolina State. Then you wouldn’t need a different mascot. But you’re still UNR.

Your identity is firmly implanted in the psyche of the American sports fan. You don’t have the right, nor does anyone outside of Washoe County, have the desire, for you to represent our state, to the world.

Go Rebels!

Reactions: Don-F and bcvegaspt
Their personal insecurity I find hilarious. And whoever said it is right. The fact that they take it so poorly makes it twice as funny.

But my objection has more to do with the arrogance of it all. How dare they presume that they have the right to represent the entire state?

When you ask any sports fan, anywhere in the USA, to name a team from Nevada, who do you think they will come up with, off the top of their head? I’ll give you a hint. It ain’t gonna be the school from that little burg that used to be known for quickie divorces.

They are UNR. They can pretend they’re whatever they like. They can call themselves Notre Dame if they want. But they would still be UNR. So live with it, Wolfpack. Come to think of it, you should call yourselves North Carolina State. Then you wouldn’t need a different mascot. But you’re still UNR.

Your identity is firmly implanted in the psyche of the American sports fan. You don’t have the right, nor does anyone outside of Washoe County, have the desire, for you to represent our state, to the world.

Go Rebels!
Firmly implanted in the psyche of the American sports fan? You’re joking, right?

Listen, we’ve struggled and downright suck with athletics at this point. But because of our past, we are still well known.

UNR isn’t firmly implanted in anybody’s minds except up there in Sparks. I mean seriously, they’ve never made a real dent anywhere? Within a conference which would be a weak conference?

The be in the American psyche, you have to evoke some sort of emotion. In sports, that’s going to be by winning. On a big stage. A stage that everyone watches. Make a few FF’s... then maybe people will know who you are.

Firmly implanted in the psyche of the American sports fan? You’re joking, right?

Listen, we’ve struggled and downright suck with athletics at this point. But because of our past, we are still well known.

UNR isn’t firmly implanted in anybody’s minds except up there in Sparks. I mean seriously, they’ve never made a real dent anywhere? Within a conference which would be a weak conference?

The be in the American psyche, you have to evoke some sort of emotion. In sports, that’s going to be by winning" On a big stage. A stage that everyone watches. Make a few FF’s... then maybe people will know who you are.
"Your" was supposed to be "Our". A typo, for which I apologize. Of course it is our reputation, 20 years after being the true "Runnin' Rebels" which still evokes images of Johnson, Augmon, Hunt & Anthony, with the man himself, pacing the sideline, towel in hand, wen he wasn't sucking on it for hydration.

Go Rebels!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT