ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting the big fish

Rebel1986

Rebel Legend
Feb 25, 2011
Las Vegas
It appears that UNLV is starting to go after some heavy hitter recruits and is going up agianst the big boys based on some of the recent offers.

3 star recruit with offers from Utah St. Wyoming, Hawaii, New Mexico, etc. Believe this could be possible attempt at a package deal with big time player Aaron Banks who plays on the same team and based on twitter accounts, they are friends.
  1. ⚡️Damon Cole⚡️ ‏@_MrQuick6 49m49 minutes ago
    Blessed to receive an offer for the University of Nevada Las Vegas
    1f44c-1f3fe.png
    1f44c-1f3fe.png
    1f64f.png
    1f64f.png
    Go Rebels
    1f534.png
    pic.twitter.com/jYw5HWyeGx

CgbFQr9UAAQHKJu.jpg

Last edited:
4* recruit Aaron Banks. He is a big time OG who is being recruited by a lot of schools:

Partial list: Arizona St, Arizona, Baylor, Cal, Colorado, Duke, Florida, Miami, Michigan, Nebraska, reno, Oregon, Oregon St., Pitt, SJSU, UCLA, USC, Virginia, Washington, Wash. St., Wisconsin, etc.

This would be a big time recruit that is most possible if we can pick him up in a package deal.

Sanchez and staff are not afraid to recruit against anyone!

1. BANKSofAMERICA™ ‏@bigaaronbanks 1h1 hour ago
    BLESSED to receive an offer from UNLV
    203c.png
    26aa.png
    1f534.png
    #UNLV #GOREBS
    203c.png
    @unlvfootball @RealCoachCarterpic.twitter.com/lrUBSfNthg

Adam Gorney, Brandon Huffman, Justin Hopkins and 6 others
    Cga9AHRUUAElsc1.jpg

Cga9AHTUAAE29--.jpg

Cga9AHYVIAAxcgg.jpg

Last edited:
That is what I hope is the ultimate goal. Alo-Wily is already starting to turn into a super star with unlimited potential. A couple of more players like him and UNLV will own the MWC.

Reactions: RebelinWA
It appears that UNLV is starting to go after some heavy hitter recruits and is going up agianst the big boys based on some of the recent offers.

3 star recruit with offers from Utah St. Wyoming, Hawaii, New Mexico, etc. Believe this could be possible attempt at a package deal with big time player Aaron Banks who plays on the same team and based on twitter accounts, they are friends.
  1. ⚡️Damon Cole⚡️ ‏@_MrQuick6 49m49 minutes ago
    Blessed to receive an offer for the University of Nevada Las Vegas
    1f44c-1f3fe.png
    1f44c-1f3fe.png
    1f64f.png
    1f64f.png
    Go Rebels
    1f534.png
    pic.twitter.com/jYw5HWyeGx

CgbFQr9UAAQHKJu.jpg

How much does having a solid QB succession plan (stanton to Rogers) for the next 5 years help?

Afalava is no slouch, He might have been "packaged" with Wily but kid can play and will get some run at Safety this year.

I think having a solid stable at QB is important. Stanton, Rogers, Sneed, Grayson (2017). Will be interesting to see who they go after as they biggest needs moving forward will be D-End (Losing Valaoga, Maloata & Porchia after this year) and LB- (Lose Lotulelie, MacAleenan, Langham , Walls (arriving from Illinois this summer) and possibly Lea (Who is graduating this spring but has eligibility left).

I could see a couple more JUCOs at these spots along with freshman to stagger the depth chart.

Afalava is no slouch, He might have been "packaged" with Wily but kid can play and will get some run at Safety this year.

I think having a solid stable at QB is important. Stanton, Rogers, Sneed, Grayson (2017). Will be interesting to see who they go after as they biggest needs moving forward will be D-End (Losing Valaoga, Maloata & Porchia after this year) and LB- (Lose Lotulelie, MacAleenan, Langham , Walls (arriving from Illinois this summer) and possibly Lea (Who is graduating this spring but has eligibility left).

I could see a couple more JUCOs at these spots along with freshman to stagger the depth chart.

Afalava is solid, hope that wasn't viewed by people as a shot at him.

4* recruit Aaron Banks. He is a big time OG who is being recruited by a lot of schools:

Partial list: Arizona St, Arizona, Baylor, Cal, Colorado, Duke, Florida, Miami, Michigan, Nebraska, reno, Oregon, Oregon St., Pitt, SJSU, UCLA, USC, Virginia, Washington, Wash. St., Wisconsin, etc.

This would be a big time recruit that is most possible if we can pick him up in a package deal.

Sanchez and staff are not afraid to recruit against anyone.

Should I be the one to post the obligatory: We don't stand a chance. On to the next! :)

True that we have no chance at a 4*, Armani was a mirage [banana]

I have watched and coach Sanchez has gone after multiple players from the same school at numerous places. I know serveral of the local schools, Katy, Texas, etc. Would need to look, but I think he sees the possibility in bundling players when other schools may not be as willing to take a lower level player to get the 4* player. The difference is that UNLV is more than happy to get a 3* player with the 4* player as an extra bonus.

Hudl for Michael Saffell. He's a center so his intelligence will be coveted at that position. Also, I like how he gets under his opponent's pads. In one of the highlights he executes one of the lineman drills I watched us run in practice to perfection. He runs, but maintains contact with, a d-lineman running horizontally trying to pursue the play. The d-lineman didn't seem to get past the line of scrimmage.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Not really "big fish" but, for those of you who've seen them play, how does Morris' commit affect the recruitment of Ali-Walsh? Any? I have no idea how similar they may be.

I think this staff likes to have the RB position stacked throughout the classes. By the time they would potentially be on campus, Thomas, Campbell, Worthington (RS this year) will be juniors. Charles Williams will be a RS Freshman or true soph.

I could Morris used in the return game and possibly in the slot (via sweeps, screens) as he is the kinda guy you get into space. Will be interesting to see as I believe they will take 2 RBs in this next class and it will just depend on who commits first- Other being looked at are- Erick Buchanan & Cyrus Habibi-Likio according to Rivals.

Thanks, 'buck. The way you described Morris sounds a lot like how BSU used Shane Williams-Rhodes the last four years. He was another of those quick little guys who you like to get into space.

Based on the list of recruits UNLV is currently going after about a dozen 4* and a bunch of 3* players. In the bast UNLV waited to see what they got and were lucky if they picked up a handful of 3 star players, based on the current recruiting I would expect most of the recruits will be 3* with a good chance to pick up 2-3 4* players. Last season we did get 1 transfer and 1 recruit who had both been listed 4 star out of high school which is better than any other team in the MWC.

It is going to be a lot of fun when the far better recruiting will start to leave unr in our dust. They still seem to think they own UNLV in football. The writing is on the wall for unr.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Just to let you know, Armani was listed last year as an ESPN 4* player, and Stanton was a 4* player coming out of high school. I truly believe that with the season they will have this next year 5-7 win range, that it will become common that UNLV has 4* players seriously considering playing for coach Sanchez. Get UNLV to bowl games and watch them leave BSU in the dust.

I would say UNLV needs to get to at least 8 wins regularly for 4* players to start looking. Now that is not to say UNLV can't get that one kid who has a real connection to the coaches or school. But that is going to be very rare. And I rather have 25 3* players in a class than 10 3* and 1 4*.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT