ADVERTISEMENT

QB

The QB and coaching staff know. They’ve announced it, just not to the public. I do wish we had Utah Tech first. Work out the kinks.

Road game at Houston is not completely ideal, but is better than staring @ Kansas.

I think it will be Hajj, with Sluka also getting some run.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
It definitely does create a situation where we have to ride with whoever the QB! is through at least the first 3 games. You hope they come out sharp game 1, but if they arent, you cant pull him for the other in a game that wont really provide them any challenge. Then you go to a beast of a road game at Kansas... You definitely dont want that to be game 1 for someone but also that point makes it really hard to swap QBs going forward, as the following game is a big conference opener vs Fresno, that you need to win to start conference title hunt.

Gotta admit Odom runs a tight ship without any leaked information. Feels like the way Ukraine getting ready to attack in the Kursk region. Nobody knew what was going to happen until it happened. I like it.
Yeah, I was watching the presser yesterday and White and de Jesus were answering questions. One of them was asking if they knew who the QB was week 1. They looked at each other and de Jesus answered with "we don't know, but we are ready regardless who it is." They know.

I do think Sluka would make the most sense week 1, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Hajj. That being said, I change my mind. It will be Sluka.

Odom still hasn't named the starter. Who's it going to be??
Announcing it when it’s close, even if they do know, even if the team knows, may as well as keep it from Houston from now and announce it officially on game day or Friday. Less time to prepare. Though I’m sure they’re preparing for both.

I don’t know. I think it might be Hajj to start, Sluka with reps. I think Hajj is less risk, less reward … just more “steady” … Sluka is higher risk, but higher reward at this point … could be completely wrong in this though. I think Hajj is stronger with RPO and I think we might see a lot of that.

Imagine being an All American and POY finalist at your previous school AND turning down multiple SEC offers to come to mighty UNLV and sit the bench.

Not saying he doesn’t have to earn it but If that happens to Sluka I think it would be a blow for future recruiting relationships.

That would be like DJJ coming in last year and sitting on the bench instead of being the unquestioned PG from day one.

One major reason Sluka chose UNLV (I would say the most important reason) was because we were essentially the only school who supported his desire to stay at Holy Cross last spring to get his degree. It meant a lot to him and most schools said "be here in Spring or don't come." Odom let him stay. DJJ was recruited being told he was the starting PG. Sluka was told, and knew, he would be behind by missing spring. They are not comparable.

It wouldn't blow any relationships if he sat the bench the entire season.

One thing that would make me nervous about Hajj is his game log isn't particularly impressive. He padded his stats the first half of the season against some truly awful and mediocre teams. The last month of the year was less than impressive once the schedule improved to Delaware and Richmond (not exactly powerhouses). Last four games 4 TD's, 5 INT's and no games over 200 yards passing with rushing numbers that aren't especially impressive. That said, I will trust the staff. But he seems pure game manager to me.

Reactions: bcvegaspt2
IMO, we'll need both, if not all 3 QB's over the course of the season. When was the last time UNLV was able to keep a QB healthy all season. I really hope we do, but just looking at history, guys will get dinged up and miss some games or at least portions of games.

I'm kind of a lean towards Hajj being the starter at this point, but it's completely a guess.

IMO, we'll need both, if not all 3 QB's over the course of the season. When was the last time UNLV was able to keep a QB healthy all season. I really hope we do, but just looking at history, guys will get dinged up and miss some games or at least portions of games.

I'm kind of a lean towards Hajj being the starter at this point, but it's completely a guess.
No. I am not going into this year hoping we need more than 1 QB. If we want to challenge for title and CFP birth, we can't be wishy washy about QB 1 and cant be glad to have "options" because maybe QB1 missed time. I'm absolutely on board with possibly having best OL in conference and them protecting the QB all year so it's not an issue.
I think it'll be Sluka, better arm, just better QB stats. I think they've kept it close to the vest because Sluka wasn't at Spring camp and they didn't want to appear to have made a decision without putting him through paces like they did others In Spring ball. It also keeps Sluka pushing hard to learn playbook, play calling, players, etc. I honestly hope we aren't using Houston as the game to swap guys around to see who performs or gets reps. That's a winnable game vs a Big 12 team that'll look good despite Houston possibly not being good this year and to lose because they wanted to play around with QB would look bad

No. I am not going into this year hoping we need more than 1 QB. If we want to challenge for title and CFP birth, we can't be wishy washy about QB 1 and cant be glad to have "options" because maybe QB1 missed time. I'm absolutely on board with possibly having best OL in conference and them protecting the QB all year so it's not an issue.
I think it'll be Sluka, better arm, just better QB stats. I think they've kept it close to the vest because Sluka wasn't at Spring camp and they didn't want to appear to have made a decision without putting him through paces like they did others In Spring ball. It also keeps Sluka pushing hard to learn playbook, play calling, players, etc. I honestly hope we aren't using Houston as the game to swap guys around to see who performs or gets reps. That's a winnable game vs a Big 12 team that'll look good despite Houston possibly not being good this year and to lose because they wanted to play around with QB would look bad
from some of the stuff I've seen on X, it seems like Sluka hasn't picked up the playbook as quickly though, so it's not a matter of whether or not he's the better player, it's going to be a matter of who's the best guy for this game. It's all hearsay though, so who knows.

from some of the stuff I've seen on X, it seems like Sluka hasn't picked up the playbook as quickly though, so it's not a matter of whether or not he's the better player, it's going to be a matter of who's the best guy for this game. It's all hearsay though, so who knows.
Odom is clearly playing 5D chess by only allowing clips of Sluka on X struggling. Making the Houston staff watch those and conclude that it’s Hajj.

Is that from reading opinions or is that from video, because all the clips on X that Ive seen are very vague on content from the team and there doesnt seem to be much else out there video wise. Most of the practice clips rarely show enough to determine that one QB is struggling with the playbook.

Is that from reading opinions or is that from video, because all the clips on X that Ive seen are very vague on content from the team and there doesnt seem to be much else out there video wise. Most of the practice clips rarely show enough to determine that one QB is struggling with the playbook.
That’s all intentional. They don’t want UH to know just yet.

Playbook stuff would be comments. Videos also show some bad throws, but like others have said, it could be by design. I have no idea

Reactions: bcvegaspt2
Sluka was a bit more of a sexier recruit coming in. Had some better highlights and numbers. But I don't think there was THAT big of difference between them coming in. Sure, I think Sluka has a better ceiling. But he is behind the 8 ball in terms of practice and the playbook.

If he is abandoning the pocket too much when the protection is there reducing plays downfield, then Hajj is the better option. Pushing the ball to our really good WR/TE corps is the really what this offense is set up to do. If Sluka makes the run game better, but hurts the passing game, then Hajj should be the guy.

*I am just throwing out hypotheticals here based of some of his criticisms of the past. I have no idea how either look in the offense.

All of that being said - it’s definitely going to be Friel starting.

Whoever it is- I trust the coaches at this point to get the best QB out there given current status. I was worried before, kind of still am, but less so the more I watch and hear about them competing and talent sets. It seems like they all have very solid strengths- it would be nice to make a Frankenstein of the talents, pick and choose pieces of each.
I think it was De Jesus that pointed out the strengths of each in an article or interview… I’ll have to try and find it again. I was a little surprised on his assessments (if it was him)… it was encouraging though.

Last edited:
I think it was De Jesus that pointed out the strengths of each in an article or interview… I’ll have to try and find it again. I was a little surprised on his assessments (if it was him)… it was encouraging though.
Found it…

Returning wide receiver and kick returner Jacob De Jesus believes all three quarterbacks bring their own strengths to the table. He said Friel “has the best arm, accuracy” and is reminiscent of last year’s starter Jayden Maiava, who transferred to Southern California in the offseason.

“(Sluka) can run. I can see him taking it down for a TD,” De Jesus said. “Malik-Williams can run too … but his knowledge of the game stands out.”

All of that being said - it’s definitely going to be Friel starting.

Whoever it is- I trust the coaches at this point to get the best QB out there given current status. I was worried before, kind of still am, but less so the more I watch and hear about them competing and talent sets. It seems like they all have very solid strengths- it would be nice to creat a Frankenstein of the talents, pick a choose pieces of each.
You got that right, it is Friel!

Just my observation. Both Sluka and Williams played at the same FCS level. After watching film on Williams IMO the biggest knock on him could be his size. He is listed at 6'1" but I wouldn't be surprised if he was around 6 feet. But what he appears to be very accurate and the 70.7% completion rate is very high and has solid arm strength. Also, he appears to be elusive. I can see if you want White and the rest of the recievers, tight ends and even running backs to get as many touches by passing as possible and to make plays he could be the guy.

Just my observation. Both Sluka and Williams played at the same FCS level. After watching film on Williams IMO the biggest knock on him could be his size. He is listed at 6'1" but I wouldn't be surprised if he was around 6 feet. But what he appears to be very accurate and the 70.7% completion rate is very high and has solid arm strength. Also, he appears to be elusive. I can see if you want White and the rest of the recievers, tight ends and even running backs to get as many touches by passing as possible and to make plays he could be the guy.
My thoughts exactly

My thoughts exactly
I can't judge Sluka accuracy from those few clips. What I saw was how easy it was for the receivers to catch his throws. His mechanics is solid. I would love to see his drop back steps, how many he need and how fast he can get rid of it.

Sluka was a bit more of a sexier recruit coming in. Had some better highlights and numbers. But I don't think there was THAT big of difference between them coming in. Sure, I think Sluka has a better ceiling. But he is behind the 8 ball in terms of practice and the playbook.

If he is abandoning the pocket too much when the protection is there reducing plays downfield, then Hajj is the better option. Pushing the ball to our really good WR/TE corps is the really what this offense is set up to do. If Sluka makes the run game better, but hurts the passing game, then Hajj should be the guy.

*I am just throwing out hypotheticals here based of some of his criticisms of the past. I have no idea how either look in the offense.
I’ve seen this criticism a lot about Sluka: that he doesn’t stay in the pocket long enough and is quick to run.

If this was last year, I’d be ecstatic if we had a dude that would take off instead of forcing a bad throw. That was Maiava’s MO. If he didn’t have an open receiver initially, it almost always resulted in a bad throw that was too late and often was picked off.

If Sluka can hit that 1st or 2nd option if it’s there, then great. If not, taking off and running ain’t a bad way to go.

If Friel is the guy, that'd be a huge offseason swing and either an incredible up-coaching job by this staff or a huge talent evaluation/recruitment failure... ever since getting tossed around his game has not been what it was and even then it was limited.
All this thread and X discussion proves is our anxiety over QB1 and the ceiling this team could have

I’ve seen this criticism a lot about Sluka: that he doesn’t stay in the pocket long enough and is quick to run.

If this was last year, I’d be ecstatic if we had a dude that would take off instead of forcing a bad throw. That was Maiava’s MO. If he didn’t have an open receiver initially, it almost always resulted in a bad throw that was too late and often was picked off.

If Sluka can hit that 1st or 2nd option if it’s there, then great. If not, taking off and running ain’t a bad way to go.
I hear you, and you're right. That isn't the worst thing in the world.

But if the option is HMW and Sluka, which we are assuming is true. If Sluka has a very quick internal clock and tries to run too soon. Which is a very real possibility. He may have improved Pass pro this year vs last year, and he may abandon the pass too soon. The trade off being a very good runner, again not a bad thing. But he is also known for being physical and not ideal having him take too many hits.

On the flipside say you have HMW. A capable runner and definite upgrade from JM, but is more patient in the pocket and willing to wait that extra beat to make the play downfield through the air. Maybe not as effective as a ball carrier. Who do YOU choose?

I say HMW all day.

I agree that Sluka has the best ceiling. If he can be patient, make all the throws, and knows the playbook inside and out, I think he is probably the best option. Is he at this point for game 1? Maybe.

Then there is arm strength, accuracy, etc. I will always rather have the better thrower if things are even enough for the QB. But if the better runner, extends plays better, converts more 3rd downs, then that changes things.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT