ADVERTISEMENT

Our biggest liability

Can't disagree with this until the QB's prove them wrong.
Fear of the unknown (which we all have).
Just gotta hope that actual on field experience becomes the X factor for the QBs.

People forget how valuable Pizano was last season. He was money and was huge in the victories vs Vandy and CSU …. I’m worried about that drop off.

(Enter Bull).

I agree with that, QB right now is our buggest liability. New QB in a system that is new for the QB. Who knows how well the QB whomever it is picks it up and succeeds in it. I know many say we have a couple QB's that fit the system but one never knows until they actually play it in a game.

We will find out this year if our defensive backfield sucked last year cuz of bad players or bad coaching. Seems we have players back there now.

Biggest liabilities- QB just because we don't know who will be the starter but their skill set and experience should be a boost...
Coaching- I know this sounds weird to say, but let's say we're cruising into the final few weeks of the season at the top of the G5 ranks and all of a sudden you hear Marrion is out interviewing around the Country instead of focusing on game plans and coaching day in and day out. Same goes for the Coach Odom rumor mill. It's a distraction, good one to have, but could be difference between a Conference championship and Playoff birth and the New Mexico bowl...

Biggest liabilities- QB just because we don't know who will be the starter but their skill set and experience should be a boost...
Coaching- I know this sounds weird to say, but let's say we're cruising into the final few weeks of the season at the top of the G5 ranks and all of a sudden you hear Marrion is out interviewing around the Country instead of focusing on game plans and coaching day in and day out. Same goes for the Coach Odom rumor mill. It's a distraction, good one to have, but could be difference between a Conference championship and Playoff birth and the New Mexico bowl...
On QB: I have no inside information, but my gut says it is Sluka’s to lose. Very interested to hear impressions once were a week or two into camp. Right now, the only knock is that he’s behind in X’s and O’s and the playbook. Don’t think that’s going to be a knock for long.

On Coaching: you make a good point. However, the last 4 games are by far the easiest stretch of the year. If there are distractions, it means we took care of business in the difficult games and are set up for another MWC champ appearance. If that’s the case, I’ll take the distractions.

On QB: I have no inside information, but my gut says it is Sluka’s to lose. Very interested to hear impressions once were a week or two into camp. Right now, the only knock is that he’s behind in X’s and O’s and the playbook. Don’t think that’s going to be a knock for long.

On Coaching: you make a good point. However, the last 4 games are by far the easiest stretch of the year. If there are distractions, it means we took care of business in the difficult games and are set up for another MWC champ appearance. If that’s the case, I’ll take the distractions.
I hope this is not the case!
May the competition be long and hard and the best man win!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Why? If he's clearly better and just needs time to fully grasp the playbook I'd rather him get as much reps as possible with the first team guys than a rotation just to keep other feeling happier... Competition is fine to push guys to be better, but eventually 1 has to be the guy and it needs to be clear. Having 2 5th yr Srs means they're experienced enough to know there's other talented guys there if they take the foot off the pedal, but you need to have a clear #1 guy and it needs to be made relatively clear as soon as possible.

Why? If he's clearly better and just needs time to fully grasp the playbook I'd rather him get as much reps as possible with the first team guys than a rotation just to keep other feeling happier... Competition is fine to push guys to be better, but eventually 1 has to be the guy and it needs to be clear. Having 2 5th yr Srs means they're experienced enough to know there's other talented guys there if they take the foot off the pedal, but you need to have a clear #1 guy and it needs to be made relatively clear as soon as possible.
We don’t know that?
Let it play out and support whoever is named the starter!

My opinion was not that the decision has been made, only that Sluka will prevail in the end. No matter what happens, the competition is there. Haj and Friel are two strong competitors and all three will make each other better, starting with camp but then throughout the year.

Can't disagree with this until the QB's prove them wrong.
Fear of the unknown (which we all have).
The whole premise behind the tweet is flawed. Big Game Boomer doesn’t know the difference between a liability and an uncertainty. How UNLV’s quarterback situation will end up as the season progresses is an unknown. Nothing but a question mark at this point. Sluka as a 4 year triple option qb could actually run the Go Go offense better than Malivia. Nothing but click bait IMO.

My opinion was not that the decision has been made, only that Sluka will prevail in the end. No matter what happens, the competition is there. Haj and Friel are two strong competitors and all three will make each other better, starting with camp but then throughout the year.
Just watched the Boston College-Holy Cross game. Sluka is good. My only criticism is he's very quick to abandon the pocket and run.

Reactions: bcvegaspt2
Just watched the Boston College-Holy Cross game. Sluka is good. My only criticism is he's very quick to abandon the pocket and run.
HOPEFULLY our line is better and with almost all returning, you’d think it would be …. That would get him more time …. You’re right, his mindset may need to change a little bit. And may have to rely on his arm more. Might be a bit of an adjustment there.

Good point.

HOPEFULLY our line is better and with almost all returning, you’d think it would be …. That would get him more time …. You’re right, his mindset may need to change a little bit. And may have to rely on his arm more. Might be a bit of an adjustment there.

Good point.
I think the quality of the receiving team compared to that of Holly Cross will give a lot more options to Sluka. I think Sluka was running a lot against better teams because the receivers couldn't get open, while I do not think UNLV will have that problem with their receivers!

The whole premise behind the tweet is flawed. Big Game Boomer doesn’t know the difference between a liability and an uncertainty. How UNLV’s quarterback situation will end up as the season progresses is an unknown. Nothing but a question mark at this point. Sluka as a 4 year triple option qb could actually run the Go Go offense better than Malivia. Nothing but click bait IMO.
And this is why our fan base knows nothing...the premise is very flawed and our fam base ate it up. It makes us look clueless.

QB is not a liability unless Friel starts and it's very unlikely that happens.

And this is why our fan base knows nothing...the premise is very flawed and our fam base ate it up. It makes us look clueless.

And yet until we have a named starter it still is. Having 2 or 3 talented guys is nice, we know what they should be capable of doing... but again for all the "Maiava sucked against good teams" folks out there, had he returned, there's a good chance we're talking fringe preseason top 25 team (probably top 30 recieving votes group) vs where we are starting... and we aren't worrying about if our QB play will be an issue, we're focusing on the defense stepping up... so yeah, it's a liability in that we dint have a dedicated QB1 yet, even though we have 2 or more guys capable

Why are you hating on my boy Friel? That's hurt.
I think the biggest challenge is to get these new players to gel.

We do face some good defenses this season according to my inaccurate information.

And yet until we have a named starter it still is. Having 2 or 3 talented guys is nice, we know what they should be capable of doing... but again for all the "Maiava sucked against good teams" folks out there, had he returned, there's a good chance we're talking fringe preseason top 25 team (probably top 30 recieving votes group) vs where we are starting... and we aren't worrying about if our QB play will be an issue, we're focusing on the defense stepping up... so yeah, it's a liability in that we dint have a dedicated QB1 yet, even though we have 2 or more guys capable
You’re probably right, we may have been ranked with Maiava because he was a known commodity and had a good year overall. Acting like he was perfect or didn’t have some poor games is dismissing reality though, didn’t we drop three of our last four? But I do agree, perception wise, we would have been “better”. And the fans certainly wouldn’t have been more comfortable, too - a known commodity is always more soothing.

But that doesn’t mean somebody can’t be better or a better fit than him. It’s not like he’s a Sunday player. If we even mentioned he was a potential starter last year at this time, we’d have given up on the season before the first snap … because he was a no name, an unknown, we all liked Doug better because he was a known quantity. Flawed, but we knew what to expect, there’s comfort in that.

It’s absolutely certain that “unknown” is a better descriptor of the situation than “liability”. Liability is Jerrod Jackson getting the nod.

The big play was still an Achilles heal for the UNLV defense.
That’s why we need the portal heavy concentration of DBs to show well.

Got a couple of good LBs and we know Cam is strong in the secondary plus Baldwin, if he can stay healthy, is a guy all over the field.

If the DBs pan out, I think we will be much improved defensively.

I’m actually excited about the season.

That’s why we need the portal heavy concentration of DBs to show well.

Got a couple of good LBs and we know Cam is strong in the secondary plus Baldwin, if he can stay healthy, is a guy all over the field.

If the DBs pan out, I think we will be much improved defensively.

I’m actually excited about the season.
I think anything below 7-5 would be a fail based on the transfers, and I wouldn't be surprised if UNLV ends up with 9 or more wins in the regular season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT