ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UNLV professor threatens to snitch on illegal immigrants

RebelScrub

Making UNLV relevent again for locals
May 29, 2001
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...7bde4b09e21702ed2f8?ncid=engmodushpmg00000006Im on the fence on this one. A friend of mine is here illegally from pinoy land. She just got her nursing degree.

Now granted she is breaking the law but she got her education.

Now back to the story

I dunno, should the professor have said that?

Another black eye in the eyes of the public or is he doing the right thing.

It's a complex issue. But I blame the politicians for doing absolutely nothing about immigration for as long as I have been alive. Those here illegally are here illegally. If the politicians would 1) Secure the boarder. 2) Make it easier for those who want to come here to do so .... it would go a long way to solving much of these problems. Long before Trump talked about building a wall (no, I didn't vote for him), I was talking that we need a huge ass Game of Thrones type wall on our boarder. But, for some reason, it's become accepted that the US is not a Sovereign nation and we should just let the flood of people continue coming here illegally. And I do want immigrants to come here, but I want it legally, documented, so we know who these people are, where they are, what they are doing, paying taxes, not draining social services, etc etc. Want to come to the US and contribute to society, make something for yourself. Excellent! But again, in the end, those in DC want it to stay the way it is and do nothing about it.

The professor? Don't see him as doing/saying anything wrong. If you are here illegally, you need to go back to where you came from and come here legally. And our stupid politicians could make it easier for people to do that if they just got off their asses and worked something out. Or at least come up with some type of workable solution. But nothing can be done until we secure our boarder and stop the thousands of people who cross it a day illegally.

Oh, far as "black eye" on the institution.

Some will see it that way (which will be most of the media).
Others are cheering what he said.

Just depends what way your leaning.......

First, who is this “boarder” of whom you speak? And why must we secure him?...

But seriously, I do not support this professor. He states that he’s for diversity, but against criminals. To me, there’s a vast difference between someone who’s breaking a law, and a criminal. A criminal is someone who seeks to improve his life by victimizing others. Immigrants are breaking a law, simply by being. They want jobs, educations and a safe environment in which to raise their families.

Sure, I can agree that the politicians should enact legislation which makes it easier for them to do this legally. But the reality of our current system is that the immigrant’s grandchildren will grow old and die before these bloated far-cats get off their collective asses and do something.

What would you tell them, if you were close to any of them? Suck it up? Or go the route of the Prof? Snitch on your neighbors?

images

The government either should have made it easier, more efficient to immigrate legally or enforced the laws in place. What they shouldn't have done for the last couple decades is ignore it. For what it's worth I think most of the illegals are here simply for a paycheck and don't really care much about the US or assimilating. If you learn English and pass a US citizenship test or have served honorably in the US military then you should be eligible to become a US citizen. If you can't be bothered then you should be given a work visa or green card, but not citizenship.

I find the situation with that instructor very strange. I started teaching at UNLV in 1973 and in 40 years of dealing with students, the question of who is or isn't legally in this country never came up. Now, given the current political situation, I can imagine that it might arise in a history or poli sci course, but not in a math class. Or in my case, a physics class.

Although PC behavior makes me very, very nervous, I certainly don't think a professor ought to be asking his/her students about their immigration status. That would certainly taint the classroom environment. But since I don't know how the current brouhaha arose, I don't want take a firm position vis-a-vis this particular instructor.

If the class was graded on a curve, Im all for snitching..

On a serious note, if the illegals are paying for the class I kinda dont see what the problem is..

First, who is this “boarder” of whom you speak? And why must we secure him?...

But seriously, I do not support this professor. He states that he’s for diversity, but against criminals. To me, there’s a vast difference between someone who’s breaking a law, and a criminal. A criminal is someone who seeks to improve his life by victimizing others. Immigrants are breaking a law, simply by being. They want jobs, educations and a safe environment in which to raise their families.

Sure, I can agree that the politicians should enact legislation which makes it easier for them to do this legally. But the reality of our current system is that the immigrant’s grandchildren will grow old and die before these bloated far-cats get off their collective asses and do something.

What would you tell them, if you were close to any of them? Suck it up? Or go the route of the Prof? Snitch on your neighbors?

images

Here's how to solve the problem IMO.

1. Implement E-Verify and place excessive fines on companies that employ illegals.
2. Illegals with a criminal record or currently in US prisons are deported
3. Illegals that are living in the US now can stay. They are classified as permanent alien residents and they can work and live with legal status. They would not be eligible for citizenship and they are not eligible for any social program like welfare or Social Security, nor are they given the right to vote. That's the price you pay for entering illegally.
4. Implement a work card program for seasonal workers. Basically a guest worker program.
5. Here's the most basic one. Enforce current immigration law. We have had more than 15 immigration acts pass congress that already spell out our policies. Our issue is the law hasn't been enforced.

1. Implement E-Verify and place excessive fines on companies that employ illegals.
3. Illegals that are living in the US now can stay. They are classified as permanent alien residents and they can work and live with legal status. They would not be eligible for citizenship and they are not eligible for any social program like welfare or Social Security, nor are they given the right to vote. That's the price you pay for entering illegally.
4. Implement a work card program for seasonal workers. Basically a guest worker program.
5. Here's the most basic one. Enforce current immigration law. We have had more than 15 immigration acts pass congress that
already spell out our policies. Our issue is the law hasn't been enforced.

Can't disagree with anything there.

On another note, most people don't seem to realize that for the last few years more illegals cross back over the border to go home than are coming here.

A wall will be nothing more than a money pit. A 20 ft wall will only create a market for 21 ft ladders.

If people want to come here and work and pay taxes, lets find a way to let them. There is a way to make it work, but the current mess in Washington will make sure that doesn't happen for a long time.

Reactions: RebtillDeath

5. Here's the most basic one. Enforce current immigration law. We have had more than 15 immigration acts pass congress that already spell out our policies. Our issue is the law hasn't been enforced.

When are you running for office??

How do you track illegals going home?

How does that work?

I like your ideas. However, if you implement 2 through 5 well, you don't really need 1.

The problem with item #3 is that any children born in the US to an illegal will be eligible for every welfare program immediately which is why many people come across the border in the first place..

The problem with item #3 is that any children born in the US to an illegal will be eligible for every welfare program immediately which is why many people come across the border in the first place..
I personally don't think just because people sneak across the border and have a kid they should be a citizen. Doesn't work in their own country why should it change here. Everyone comes here to work but try to go to Mexico or Canada and work. Isn't going to happen.
Anyone that believes that you can deport 11 million people that have been here for years is crazy.Need to have some path to citizenship, tighten the borders and try to control it in the future. The only reason we have not had immigration reform is the politicians are always whoring themselves out for the Latino vote (both parties)

Reactions: RebtillDeath
Why is it all or nothing?

Why does it need to be deportation or citizenship?

These people came here illegally, knowingly, hoping to game the system and out-wait the same system while hoping to have enough babies who could grow up, vote and change the laws. Harsh but true so don't be so naïve as to deny it.

You won't round up 11 million but the problem needs to be solved and not with the pie in the sky system that was passed into law in 1988.

Secure the border 100% first or nothing else will ever matter or change. Put a her for plan for immigrant status for those here without a chance for citizenship unless they leave and apply like everyone else.

I am always just trying to look at things logically. We have millions of people that want to be here and work. Instead of paying taxes on that work they are a drain on the system.

By far the most cost effective way is to find a way to get them paying taxes. A higher rate is fine as well as some of the options listed above.

Rounding up millions of people and/or building a wall would cost billions. And then you have to man that wall or it would be useless. That would be an astronomical ongoing expense.

Or we just get the people here that are working and obeying laws paying taxes. Use that money to quadruple manpower working the border now or whatever else needs to be done.

I know people have pride and don't want people coming into the country illegally and don't believe they should be allowed to stay if they should. I understand that mentality, I just don't think it is productive at all.

What will you do if the border is totally opened and we get 100 million people moving here every year? Who will pay for all the tax burden from the indigent care bills (2/3rds of the indigent medical bills in California come from illegals, over half a million a month is spent at UMC each month just on dialysis for illegals) There is a good reason that almost every country in the world, including Mexico, are far stricter on immigration than the US. Mexico throws illegals directly in jail and deports them.

Reactions: manic water
That was my point about taking the tax money we receive and quadruple border security.

What will you do if the border is totally opened and we get 100 million people moving here every year? Who will pay for all the tax burden from the indigent care bills (2/3rds of the indigent medical bills in California come from ill

egals, over half a million a month is spent at UMC each month just on dialysis for illegals) There is a good reason that almost every country in the world, including Mexico, are far stricter on immigration than the US. Mexico throws illegals directly in jail and deports them.

They`re all going to California and Arizona.

Nevada is good!!!

The government either should have made it easier, more efficient to immigrate legally or enforced the laws in place. What they shouldn't have done for the last couple decades is ignore it. For what it's worth I think most of the illegals are here simply for a paycheck and don't really care much about the US or assimilating. If you learn English and pass a US citizenship test or have served honorably in the US military then you should be eligible to become a US citizen. If you can't be bothered then you should be given a work visa or green card, but not citizenship.
I agree with this, many are here for a check and no interest in assimilating or learning the language. In which case I say goodbye. Not sure why some get to cut in line anyway. If you can't be bothered to learn the language then you can't be boy with citizenship and should be ejected. If you can and otherwise show an interest in being a citizen then you should either have to volunteer for some period of time or join the Armed Forces for a period of time and then become a citizen.

I agree with this, many are here for a check and no interest in assimilating or learning the language. In which case I say goodbye. Not sure why some get to cut in line anyway. If you can't be bothered to learn the language then you can't be boy with citizenship and should be ejected. If you can and otherwise show an interest in being a citizen then you should either have to volunteer for some period of time or join the Armed Forces for a period of time and then become a citizen.

As u get older, its hard learning another language. That doesnt mean they cant try

I personally don't think just because people sneak across the border and have a kid they should be a citizen. Doesn't work in their own country why should it change here. Everyone comes here to work but try to go to Mexico or Canada and work. Isn't going to happen.
Anyone that believes that you can deport 11 million people that have been here for years is crazy.Need to have some path to citizenship, tighten the borders and try to control it in the future. The only reason we have not had immigration reform is the politicians are always whoring themselves out for the Latino vote (both parties)
You don't have to physically deport them, just make it illegal for them to own any property. They will self-deport real fast if they are at risk of losing their homes etc to state forfeiture.

You don't even need to do that. If you go after the companies or individuals that hire them and they can't find work, that will take care of the problem. Start holding the contractors who hire them on a construction site legally and financially liable.

Reactions: BostonRebel
I'm for some type of compromise. Living in farm country now I see the need for immigrant workers. Sorry to say this but kids today are to lazy to work in the fields and would rather sit around and collect assistance. All the kids think they should make 20 dollars an hour cash in order to break them away from their games. I know I'm older but my dad would have kicked my ass if I had the attitude of today's youth. So there has to be somewhere in the middle on the subject And even in the Mexican community the kids don't have near the work ethic of the parents. Sad state of affairs.

Reactions: RebelScrub
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT