ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Olympics..who is watching

RebelScrub

Making UNLV relevent again for locals
May 29, 2001
CNBC..

I love this stuff.

What was your favorite Olympics?

Hard to say which is the favorite olympics. Loved watching the competitions between USA, Russia, and East Germany in the late 70's and 80's. Loved watching athletes like Edwin Moses, Carl Lewis, then early 90's Michael Johnson. Still love watching the olympics and watch all i can but to me those were the best

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt2
Vegas has 2 swimmers from a local swim club in the Olympics. Katie Grimes is a Vegas native and Claire Weinstein has been here for 3+ years. There were about 12 swimmers from Vegas at the Olympic trials.

I think Vegas had 5 swimmers in the Tokyo Olympics. Bella Sims didn’t make it this year despite having the most qualifying events at the trials. Erica Sullivan won silver in Tokyo but has been injured since and didn’t make it either.

Last edited:
for the life of me, I couldn’t remember the 2020 Olympics. Where it was or anything.

I was in the hospital 4 years ago for Covid during that Olympics.

I maybe a little biased but I liked the 2012 Olympics with Phelps and Usain Bolt.

Best athletes of all time

For pre shows and all the fun stuff, the Beijing Olympics in 2008 was incredible. China put on one helluva show. It was like 3 hours of coordinated stuff.

• Love
Reactions: LVRebel2000
Vegas has 2 swimmers from a local swim club in the Olympics. Katie Grimes is a Vegas native and Claire Weinstein has been here for 3+ years. There were about 12 swimmers from Vegas at the Olympic trials.

I think Vegas had 5 swimmers in the Tokyo Olympics. Bella Sims didn’t make it this year despite having the most qualifying events at the trials. Erica Sullivan won silver in Tokyo but has been injured since and didn’t make it either.
Did not know that. Very cool.

My favorite Olympics were the 80s with icons like Mary Lou Retton, Carl Lewis and Jackie Joiner Kersey.

Did not know that. Very cool.

My favorite Olympics were the 80s with icons like Mary Lou Retton, Carl Lewis and Jackie Joiner Kersey.
I wonder if they all swam at Pavillion Pool near Palo Verde. That place is awesome..

UNLV has a pool but because the people when they built it, it was like a couple feet short of specifications. They fired the idiot guy. If Las Vegas ever hosted the Olympics which I think it should, Las Vegas would make a great host. Something to think about in the future. UNLV look into that.

Reactions: RebelinWA
CNBC..

I love this stuff.

What was your favorite Olympics?

‘84 LA Olympics.

I was a kid growing up in SoCal. We went to a couple events USA vs Italy in Soccer, Saudi vs someone in Soccer and a couple of random Basketball and baseball games that I can’t remember who played.

T&F is my favorite sport to watch but I don’t watch Olympics like when I was a kid and I couldn’t wait to watch. Now it’s just not as interested, no real reason same probably as why I’ve watched a total of probably 30 minutes on UNLV BB the last 6-7 seasons, just not as exciting for me

I wonder if they all swam at Pavillion Pool near Palo Verde. That place is awesome..

UNLV has a pool but because the people when they built it, it was like a couple feet short of specifications. They fired the idiot guy. If Las Vegas ever hosted the Olympics which I think it should, Las Vegas would make a great host. Something to think about in the future. UNLV look into that.

Yup they swim there, Desert Breeze, Municipal, Adelson, basically wherever there is a pool they will be using at some point.

I forgot about Ilya Kharun he was on the local team too and basically a Vegas native but his parents are cirque du soleil performers and were in Canada performing when he was born so he is swimming for Canada not the USA.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
‘84 LA Olympics.

I was a kid growing up in SoCal. We went to a couple events USA vs Italy in Soccer, Saudi vs someone in Soccer and a couple of random Basketball and baseball games that I can’t remember who played.

T&F is my favorite sport to watch but I don’t watch Olympics like when I was a kid and I couldn’t wait to watch. Now it’s just not as interested, no real reason same probably as why I’ve watched a total of probably 30 minutes on UNLV BB the last 6-7 seasons, just not as exciting for me
You know what? I was in LA during the 1984 Olympics. My parents took a road trip to Los Angeles from Tennessee and we stayed at my grandmother’s house in Hollywood off of Melrose and I can’t remember the streets. There was a pioneer chicken on the corner.

That was also the year of the freakin’ Night Stalker. We were f’n scared to go out on the streets at night.

So anyways, we would go to church off Olympus (it’s now an Orthodox Church if I remember correctly)and they had the marathon going on at the same time. Weird Al Yankovic went to the same church back in the day. He still serves and hands out communion plates went to my aunt’s wedding.
Yup they swim there, Desert Breeze, Municipal, Adelson, basically wherever there is a pool they will be using at some point.

I forgot about Ilya Kharun he was on the local team too and basically a Vegas native but his parents are cirque du soleil performers and were in Canada performing when he was born so he is swimming for Canada not the USA.
god damn Fn traitor. Nah kidding are our friends.

The director of security of the hotel I used to work at had three gold medals as a softball pitcher, 96, 2000, and 04. She is a UNLV alumni. Awesome person. She was built different.

The director of security of the hotel I used to work at had three gold medals as a softball pitcher, 96, 2000, and 04. She is a UNLV alumni. Awesome person. She was built different.
Me and my roommate were watching Italy vs Canada softball very briefly.

Them women are hardcore as hell.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Lori was a good friend back in the day.

As for the Olympics, I got B-Boy Phil Wizard +125 for the gold in Breakdancing.

Wow..artistic swimming is what it’s called these days.

for the life of me, I couldn’t remember the 2020 Olympics. Where it was or anything.

I was in the hospital 4 years ago for Covid during that Olympics.
There wasn’t a Japan 2020 Olympics in 2020, it was canceled and reschedule for 2021 back in Japan. All the merchandise and signage still displayed 2020 though. 2028 summer Olympics will be in LA, maybe they’ll clean the city up 😂

There wasn’t a Japan 2020 Olympics in 2020, it was canceled and reschedule for 2021 back in Japan. All the merchandise and signage still displayed 2020 though. 2028 summer Olympics will be in LA, maybe they’ll clean the city up 😂
Just like they did when that one Asian country leader arrived 1 year ago or so (?). The city was miraculously clean and safe. It was a modern miracle!

Just like they did when that one Asian country leader arrived 1 year ago or so (?). The city was miraculously clean and safe. It was a modern miracle!
Clark County did the same thing along the freeways by removing all of the homeless camps just before the Super Bowl. There is a really large homeless camp around the US95 where it passes over Sahara Avenue that magically was removed after years of residents complaints that live in the area, after the Super Bowl was gone they let the homeless move right back into the same area. Also the same thing happened along Flamingo and Tropicana where they did the same thing. It is always about the optics!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT