ADVERTISEMENT

OK, things have settled. Now the first order of business...

dcut03

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
Take nearly every last cent you think you can actually afford and give it Odom as a long term extension. Let him decide how much to give his staff, but we want as much going to Odom as possible. And we should do it now. Before the end of the season when the coaching carousel really starts. 3 mil a year for 8+ years maybe

Typically I am not a fan of doing this for 1 season and a quarter of success, but I am sold.

This does a few things...

It shows the Big 12 that we aren't messing around with football. We are committed.

We make good with Odom, and we raise his buyout even more. So if a school comes in with an offer we just can't match or afford to match, we at least get a large windfall of cash from his buyout to hire another really good established coach. Or if we feel good enough with Marion or Scherer save some of that cash and maybe used it elsewhere (yes, that means B ball coach for you pitchfork holders).

Football is the only salvation at this point. Our B ball is good enough to be a bottom dweller in the Big 12, they need more quality football schools.

Big12 means way more annual revenue and we will be able to afford upper tier football and basketball coaches. But we have to get there first to even have a shot.

The risk is that Odom sucks and we fall off a cliff. I just can't see that happening. Not the way he operates.

Last edited:
The risk is that Odom leaves and we fall off a cliff and I don’t think he will stick around to coach in a rinky dink league.

The risk is that Odom leaves and we fall off a cliff and I don’t think he will stick around to coach in a rinky dink league.
That's what we want to extend him. If we don't raise our profile enough in the next 2 seasons to be invited to the Big 12 then he will leave, and another team will buy him out.

I don't think we will every be less than upper third in the conference with him at the helm. In this MW or the new MW.

Priorty #1 Lock down Odom,
Priorty #2 make sure the lock-down-Odom Contract has a massive buy out provision
Piority #3 Money for assistants
Priorty #4 Hire me in the athletic department
Priorty #5 Make the default for a double double at In n Out be without cheese.

Last edited:
That's what we want to extend him. If we don't raise our profile enough in the next 2 seasons to be invited to the Big 12 then he will leave, and another team will buy him out.

I don't think we will every be less than upper third in the conference with him at the helm. In this MW or the new MW.
IF he wants to be extended and hang around playing in this new league for two years. I have severe doubts about that. Even if we pay him top tier $$.

Priorty #1 Lock down Odo,
Priorty #2 make sure the lock-down-Odom Contract has a massive buy out provision
Piority #3 Money for assistants
Priorty #4 Hire me in the athletic department
Priorty #5 Make the default for a double double at In n Out be without cheese.
I’ll give you #4, but then you’re fired for #5.

• Love
Reactions: LVRebel2000
Take nearly every last cent you think you can actually afford and give it Odom as a long term extension. Let him decide how much to give his staff, but we want as much going to Odom as possible. And we should do it now. Before the end of the season when the coaching carousel really starts. 3 mil a year for 8+ years maybe

Typically I am not a fan of doing this for 1 season and a quarter of success, but I am sold.

This does a few things...

It shows the Big 12 that we aren't messing around with football. We are committed.

We make good with Odom, and we raise his buyout even more. So if a school comes in with an offer we just can't match or afford to match, we at least get a large windfall of cash from his buyout to hire another really good established coach. Or if we feel good enough with Marion or Scherer save some of that cash and maybe used it elsewhere (yes, that means B ball coach for you pitchfork holders).

Football is the only salvation at this point. Our B ball is good enough to be a bottom dweller in the Big 12, they need more quality football schools.

Big12 means way more annual revenue and we will be able to afford upper tier football and basketball coaches. But we have to get there first to even have a shot.

The risk is that Odom sucks and we fall off a cliff. I just can't see that happening. Not the way he operates.

You absolutely extend him now.

Not end of the season. Now.

Make that as big of a contract as you can.

Because he is going to have suitors. And he can't be excited about all the conference uncertainty.

Jobs he might have been tempted by but would have turned down before might look a little more appealing now.

We just need 1 more year from him anyways... Extend him to a huge buyout now. Get him through next year, that gave him 3 seasons here and he turns UNLV into a powerhouse, leaves for a P4 job, and next guy comes in to a lesser conference sure, but man isn't it attractive to go undefeated for 3 or 4 straight years- get your choice of the next big P4 job and help UNLV get into a P4... Everyone keeps talking like next year wont still have Boise, Fresno, CSU on the schedules... theyre still here through 2025-2026 football season.

IF he wants to be extended and hang around playing in this new league for two years. I have severe doubts about that. Even if we pay him top tier $$.
He may want not to extend it, which I get.

But even still why not? If he keeps things up, he will have suitors. He seems to like it here, so I think he likes the idea if setting up UNLV if he were to move on.

But I think his number 1 would be to stay and be UNLV's coach in the Big 12 ( other than a big SEC school of course). Best case that happens in 2 years. The longer we get past the MW split the more difficult it will be. Unless somehow we become the new Boise. We get to the playoffs and we stay relevant based off of our name. But man, that is still tough.

But even then, he lived that life. And he was fired for being good not great at a job like that. His alma mater to boot. He may rather have very good money and security and autonomy vs ludicrous money with the threat of losing you job nearly every year.

Last edited:

But even still why not? If he keeps things up, he will have suitors. He seems to like it here, so I think he likes the idea if setting up UNLV if he were to move on.

But I think his number 1 would be to stay and be UNLV's coach in the Big 12 ( other than a big SEC school of course). Best case that happens in 2 years. The longer we get past the MW split the more difficult it will be. Unless somehow we become the new Boise. We get to the playoffs and we stay relevant based off of our name. But man, that is still tough.

But even then, he lived that life. And he was fired for being good not great at a job like that. His alma mater to boot. He may rather have very good money and security and autonomy vs ludicrous money with the threat of losing you job nearly every year.
Exactly. Gonna come down to what he wants. He could literally go down as a football icon and legend in Las Vegas if he sticks around. Not to mention that the path is much easier here for success than if he takes a job in the SEC again. I don't know what his priorities are, but money is always an important factor. No chance that we can compete with the money that most of the P4 conference teams have, but he can live quite well here and reap all the benefits of being an icon here the rest of his life.

Reactions: bcvegaspt2

If we offer him right now I think he would take it because you never know. Then someone can always buy him out. If we wait until end of season I think there is a good chance that is the end and he will have suitors that take him elsewhere.

I'm sure his representation has been getting calls since last November.

That's why I think you do that now.

We can polish this up as much as we want but UNLVs current situation isn't great. Not as bad as some think, not as great as others think.

You have money now do something with it.

First order of business is to get it in writing for the future from the BOR that UNLV and reno can go their separate ways in conference realignments. I don't want to hear that nonsense come up again.

And, yes I'll get two double patty burgers with no salt please.

• Haha
Reactions: bcvegaspt2
First order of business is to get it in writing for the future from the BOR that UNLV and reno can go their separate ways in conference realignments. I don't want to hear that nonsense come up again.
THIS!!!

Also, I guess I'm way too used to cooking my own food now since all fast food, including In'n'out, is too salty for me. It dries me out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT