ADVERTISEMENT

Next HC will be

Related to the new coach conversation:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...qb-doug-brumfield-sticking-with-unlv-1897111/

Three-star quarterback Doug Brumfield is hopeful that UNLV coach Tony Sanchez will keep his job after this season, but his commitment to the Rebels is unwavering.

“I’m pretty locked in to UNLV 100 percent,” Brumfield said. “The situation is out of my hands. There’s nothing I can do. We all want to play football for Coach Sanchez, but if it’s not him, it’ll be for whoever’s the coach in the future.”

Brumfield (6 feet 5 inches, 213 pounds) was referring to himself and his two Junipero Serra High School teammates from Gardena, California, who also committed to the Rebels.

Justin Pinkney (5-11, 170), who is listed as a multiuse athlete, also is a three-star recruit, according to 247Sports’ composite ratings. Pinkney, who has two interceptions and three pass breakups. He plans to enroll in UNLV in January and be available for spring practices.

The other Serra player is three-star wide receiver Ronald Gilliam (6-0, 192), who has 38 receptions for 552 yards and three touchdowns.

Brumfield was the first to commit to UNLV, and he encouraged Pinkney to make the same decision. They were instrumental in convincing Gilliam to join them, and all three hope to move the long-struggling program forward.

“It’s a lot better than you see on social media,” said Brumfield, who has completed 60 percent of his passes for 1,478 yards with 10 touchdowns and two interceptions. He also has rushed for 444 yards and five touchdowns.

The Fertitta Football Complex that opened last month and the move into Allegiant Stadium showed Brumfield and his teammates that UNLV was a program worth choosing even if a coaching change is made.

“It’s kind of fulfilled my childhood dream of getting prepared for the next level,” Brumfield said. “In high school, we don’t always have the best facilities. Serra has had the same weight room and locker room for a long time.”

Even with the speculation about Sanchez’s future, this 2020 recruiting class is ranked third in the Mountain West by 247Sports, a five-spot gain over the 2019 one. All 11 committed players are three-star recruits. The early signing period is Dec. 18-20.

Other recruits will visit this weekend and attend Saturday’s 1 p.m. game against San Jose State, which will be UNLV’s final one at Sam Boyd Stadium. The Rebels are 2-8 with two games remaining, and Sanchez knows those might be his final ones coaching the Rebels.

Athletic director Desiree Reed-Francois will make an announcement shortly after the season whether she will retain or fire Sanchez, who has an 18-40 record over nearly five complete seasons. Reed-Francois issued a statement after last season saying she expected bowl eligibility this year, and that won’t happen.

Based on the BB hire, Im putting my money on the next coach coming out of the Pioneer league. I think USD has won the last 6 or 7 Pioneer League titles so Ill go with their coach, with the back up plan being the coach at Green Valley HS, or Nick Garritano.

Based on the BB hire, Im putting my money on the next coach coming out of the Pioneer league. I think USD has won the last 6 or 7 Pioneer League titles so Ill go with their coach, with the back up plan being the coach at Green Valley HS, or Nick Garritano.

It's all a big !#%^&*# joke...

Until it happens...

All I know is this next football head coach hire better be more impact than our basketball hire.

Reactions: unlv91
We don't have the money. We counter with Tony Sanchez and a comp at the Circus Circus buffet.

Is UNLV still that broke? I hear that Esposito guy really likes the strip comps. I believe he was one of Menzies few special assistants. Typical...

Is UNLV still that broke? I hear that Esposito guy really likes the strip comps. I believe he was one of Menzies few special assistants. Typical...

I don't know to be honest. Money has been an issue for awhile though.

With football its been a reluctance or lack of interest from boosters outside of the Fertitta's and a few others.

That's why a season like this hurts a little more heading into the new stadium. If Rebs were battling for a bowl and showing growth more boosters might jump in. It's hard to get people excited about 2-8..Plus aside from Vandy, Hawaii and SDSU they haven't been particularly competitive either.

I'm not sure how the next coaching hire will turnout.

Could go a few ways...

Maybe it is a guy like Mora, that carries name value which helps.

Maybe it's a guy like Jay Hill, who will draw Hauck comparisons (not fair different situations). Hill would be a solid get, but not exactly a house hold name.

Maybe it's an upcoming coordinator. They'll have to kill it at the press conference to get people excited though. I think a lot of folks would be disappointed feeling UNLV needs a proven name. Doesn't mean it would be a bad hire. I'd be happy if UNLV somehow poached Morgan Scalley the Utah DC. Doubt it though.

It's possible a decision could have already been made, we're just waiting for it tk be announced.

I'd be surprised if we don't know as soon as a week after the last game.

With football its been a reluctance or lack of interest from boosters outside of the Fertitta's and a few others.

That's why a season like this hurts a little more heading into the new stadium. If Rebs were battling for a bowl and showing growth more boosters might jump in. It's hard to get people excited about 2-8..Plus aside from Vandy, Hawaii and SDSU they haven't been particularly competitive either.

Could go a few ways...

Maybe it's a guy like Jay Hill, who will draw Hauck comparisons (not fair different situations). Hill would be a solid get, but not exactly a house hold name.

Maybe it's an upcoming coordinator. They'll have to kill it at the press conference to get people excited though. I think a lot of folks would be disappointed feeling UNLV needs a proven name. Doesn't mean it would be a bad hire. I'd be happy if UNLV somehow poached Morgan Scalley the Utah DC. Doubt it though.

It's possible a decision could have already been made, we're just waiting for it tk be announced.

Doesn’t Unlv has to hire a search firm first before they hire the next coach?

Could go a few ways...

UNLV has had such bad politics over the years in regards to athletics. The previous AD just about destroyed the entire department. Then she gets totally hooked up at the foundation and a scholarship in her name. This is just the way UNLV does things unfortunately. I will always be supportive of the student athletes there. It is what it is...

UNLV has the third ranked recruiting class in the MWC. I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing what Tony could do with the new stadium and facility. They would have to get an experienced OC like Cotton. The play calling hasn’t been good this year. Which would be expected after Cotton left for medical reasons...

UNLV has the third ranked recruiting class in the MWC. I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing what Tony could do with the new stadium and facility. They would have to get an experienced OC like Cotton. The play calling hasn’t been good this year. Which would be expected after Cotton left for medical reasons...

The last few classes have been some of UNLVs best and the results are trending the wrong way.

Maybe he could turn it around, but can UNLV risk it?

If they struggled again next year, you lose the last chance to build up some excitement in the community.

Coming off a potential 2 win season and going winless in conference (I really really hope not) is not how you want go into the new stadium.

There just aren't enough signs on the field of improvement for me to think he could get it done. Maybe he could, but not a lot of evidence that last to years to support that.

If they do hire a new coach I hope it is someone that has head coaching experience. Not a FCS Coach or an assistant coach. These are hard times there right now. The football team has only won 2 games. Hoops is 2-4 and just lost to Texas state at home. It is honestly very sad to see. Especially seeing the Mack so empty. But then again why should people run out and spend their hard earn money the way UNLV does things? Just really sad...

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
If they do hire a new coach I hope it is someone that has head coaching experience. Not a FCS Coach or an assistant coach. These are hard times there right now. The football team has only won 2 games. Hoops is 2-4 and just lost to Texas state at home. It is honestly very sad to see. Especially seeing the Mack so empty. But then again why should people run out and spend their hard earn money the way UNLV does things? Just really sad...

That's why I don't think you can retain Sanchez at this point.

The last few classes have been some of UNLVs best and the results are trending the wrong way.

Maybe he could turn it around, but can UNLV risk it?

If they struggled again next year, you lose the last chance to build up some excitement in the community.

Coming off a potential 2 win season and going winless in conference (I really really hope not) is not how you want go into the new stadium.

There just aren't enough signs on the field of improvement for me to think he could get it done. Maybe he could, but not a lot of evidence that last to years to support that.

The UNLV head coaching job is like career suicide. I wish the university would honestly support the program more.

That's why I don't think you can retain Sanchez at this point.

Are there any other big donors that support football like the Fertittas? I have no idea. The previous AD ran Dave off in the middle of the season because of pressure from boosters. I wonder if those same boosters are still around these days. No wonder Brad and Jerry left the department because they couldn’t deal with the previous AD. The RJ said firing Dave in the middle of the season destroyed the hoops program. Looking at the attendances this year it might be correct sadly...

Are there any other big donors that support football like the Fertittas? I have no idea. The previous AD ran Dave off in the middle of the season because of pressure from boosters. I wonder if those same boosters are still around these days. No wonder Brad and Jerry left the department because they couldn’t deal with the previous AD. The RJ said firing Dave in the middle of the season destroyed the hoops program. Looking at the attendances this year it might be correct sadly...

None that have donated to that extent.

Pretty minor. Nothing like basketball (used to be).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT