ADVERTISEMENT

New Mexico

Not surprised at all.
Me either!

UNLV finally got it right, I didn’t like the coordinator from another school who have never been HC’s before. Gonzalez, Arroyo and the DC at Utah all fit this category. Good coordinators but running a whole program is not a given.

Glad we have our guy for now!

Reactions: rebelzzz

Not surprised at all.

I am a little.

As bad as things were for UNLV in the past, once the facilities were done it leveled the playing field. The excuses were over.

UNM is arguably the toughest job in the conference now.

I don't know if Odom/Marion combo could do anything there.

His players fought hard until end of season despite being out of bowl contention.

They whipped Fresno on the road and took USU who was fighting for bowl eligibility to OT last two games of the season.

Low population state so not a lot of in state talent to recruit from. And top end talent is going to Texas or AZ schools.

No real facilities to sell.

Albuquerque has to be a tough city to sell to recruits.

Laramie/Wyoming fits into that as well but they have good facilities and some decent booster support.

I'm not sure UNM has the ability to to be relevant in football anymore.

Not without some miracle money coming in.

I'm really not sure who's out there that can turn that program around.

Oh hell yeah! That dude would do well in the MWC. I even think Bobby Petrino would do quite well at UNM.

I'll ask the same question. Why would Bobby Petrino want to go to UNM other than a possible retirement gig? He could make almost as much as a P5 OC as he could to be the HC at New Mexico.

New Mexico is in the same place as UNLV pre-facilities.

I'll ask the same question. Why would Bobby Petrino want to go to UNM other than a possible retirement gig? He could make almost as much as a P5 OC as he could to be the HC at New Mexico.

New Mexico is in the same place as UNLV pre-facilities.
Because he can be the boss again. Yes, New Mexico have some ugly cheerleaders but they are still better looking than 99% of the New Mexicans.

I am a little.

As bad as things were for UNLV in the past, once the facilities were done it leveled the playing field. The excuses were over.

UNM is arguably the toughest job in the conference now.

I don't know if Odom/Marion combo could do anything there.

His players fought hard until end of season despite being out of bowl contention.

They whipped Fresno on the road and took USU who was fighting for bowl eligibility to OT last two games of the season.

Low population state so not a lot of in state talent to recruit from. And top end talent is going to Texas or AZ schools.

No real facilities to sell.

Albuquerque has to be a tough city to sell to recruits.

Laramie/Wyoming fits into that as well but they have good facilities and some decent booster support.

I'm not sure UNM has the ability to to be relevant in football anymore.

Not without some miracle money coming in.

I'm really not sure who's out there that can turn that program around.
New Mexico State, who have less than New Mexico found a way to go 10-3 which included wins over New Mexico, Hawaii, Jacksonville State and a huge win over Auburn.

New Mexico State, who have less than New Mexico found a way to go 10-3 which included wins over New Mexico, Hawaii, Jacksonville State and a huge win over Auburn.

They play in a worse conference. They caught Auburn at a great time, the proverbial trap game the week before Alabama.

I'm not so sure they are all that far behind UNM anymore. UNM had to drop a few sports namely men's soccer after winning conference title. They've floated dropping football within the last 5 years.

I get your point but UNM is a mess right now. Has been since the Bob Davey nonsense.

They play in a worse conference. They caught Auburn at a great time, the proverbial trap game the week before Alabama.

I'm not so sure they are all that far behind UNM anymore. UNM had to drop a few sports namely men's soccer after winning conference title. They've floated dropping football within the last 5 years.

I get your point but UNM is a mess right now. Has been since the Bob Davey nonsense.
I definitely agree that they are a mess

Because he can be the boss again. Yes, New Mexico have some ugly cheerleaders but they are still better looking than 99% of the New Mexicans.

1- What the hell are you talking about.

2- What the hell are you talking about.

3-What the hell are you talking about.

Be the boss at a program that's sinking? Petrino had to take the SW Missouri job to clean up his image.

I mean maybe he takes it but he's gone in a year or two max if he has any type of success.

I think Houston is a more likely landing spot.

1- What the hell are you talking about.

2- What the hell are you talking about.

3-What the hell are you talking about.

Be the boss at a program that's sinking? Petrino had to take the SW Missouri job to clean up his image.

I mean maybe he takes it but he's gone in a year or two max if he has any type of success.

I think Houston is a more likely landing spot.
I would. It aint sinking that bad, dont be too dramatic. Just me man, I rather do things my way then be lead by some schmuck.

Especially if the Pac2 steals some MWC schools

Exactly.

To take Hawaii, they would have to accept them as football only. Nobody wants to pay the travel for Olympic sports.

I think UNM would be out unless the PAC2 is willing to go to 14 teams, then maybe you pair them with NMSU.

I would. It aint sinking that bad, dont be too dramatic. Just me man, I rather do things my way then be lead by some schmuck.

Trip they talked about dropping football. They dropped their men's soccer program after it won a conference title.

UNM is not in good shape at all.

Especially if the Pac2 steals some MWC schools
The question is will they take the entire MWC or just pick and choose? Who is going to pay the $34 million or $17 million per team to leave the MWC? Can the fee be tossed if the schools vote it out, or will that end up being pulled into a long legal battle by the teams that are left out if they do not take the entire conference?

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Trip they talked about dropping football. They dropped their men's soccer program after it won a conference title.

UNM is not in good shape at all.
UNLV did too, Bull. They just lost their coach, they're in a depression mode. That is a nice program.

The question is will they take the entire MWC or just pick and choose? Who is going to pay the $34 million or $17 million per team to leave the MWC? Can the fee be tossed if the schools vote it out, or will that end up being pulled into a long legal battle by the teams that are left out if they do not take the entire conference?

One theory was OSU/WASU would use money they collect from current PAC to pay buyouts.

Purely speculation guess here..

UNLV
FRESNO
SJSU
BOISE
AFA ***
CSU
WYO
USU

Definitely in..

***Does Air Force look to join Army/Navy in AAC? It would open up an OOC game.

That gives you 10.

I think then tough decisions on Reno, UNM, Hawaii.

Hawaii would need to be football only. Do they want that?

Reno, maybe..Basketball helps them but recent football struggles not so much.

If you keep UNM, then do you try and poach NMSU and lock down New Mexico Market (well what market there is).

I think you have to keep USU to stay in Utah market even if it is the third little brother.

I think the Pac2 will play a waiting game for two years especially if we give them a football only alliance during that time. I picture our media partners holding off in signing anything early with us knowing a lot of us may be gone to the Pac12. At that time when we leave there will be schools left behind. Gloria Nevarez will also leave for the Pac12. That is what I see happening. If NM doesn't fix things real fast they are history. Same with Hawaii and reno.

UNLV did too, Bull. They just lost their coach, they're in a depression mode. That is a nice program.

When did UNLV seriously discuss dropping football completely?

Hauck era? Sanford? Certainly not the Sanchez era while getting a 30 million dollar facility.

Reactions: dcut03
I think the Pac2 will play a waiting game for two years especially if we give them a football only alliance during that time. I picture our media partners holding off in signing anything early with us knowing a lot of us may be gone to the Pac12. At that time when we leave there will be schools left behind. Gloria Nevarez will also leave for the Pac12. That is what I see happening. If NM doesn't fix things real fast they are history. Same with Hawaii and reno.

That's my guess.

When did UNLV seriously discuss dropping football completely?

Hauck era? Sanford? Certainly not the Sanchez era while getting a 30 million dollar facility.
I dont remember when, Bull. But football have been a drain on the budget since the late 80's. The question was posed on several occasions. Conference affiliation have halted that idea.

I dont remember when, Bull. But football have been a drain on the budget since the late 80's. The question was posed on several occasions. Conference affiliation have halted that idea.

You don't think UNM football is a drain?

It's not an easy job.

It has middling football facilities. A state with a small population, which makes in state recruiting difficult because top end guys get poached by AZ/TEX schools. It pays middle of the pack.

Their best run was under Rocky Long and he went .500ish

Sure a home run hire could maybe turn things around. But who wants the job.

What exactly is attractive about it.

You don't think UNM football is a drain?

It's not an easy job.

It has middling football facilities. A state with a small population, which makes in state recruiting difficult because top end guys get poached by AZ/TEX schools. It pays middle of the pack.

Their best run was under Rocky Long and he went .500ish

Sure a home run hire could maybe turn things around. But who wants the job.

What exactly is attractive about it.
Their fans' support and the conference affiliation. You know all of this shit, why are you asking?

Their fans' support and the conference affiliation. You know all of this shit, why are you asking?

Fan support? For football? They were near the bottom of the conference in avg attendance. Only Nevada and Hawaii avg less and Hawaii essentually plays at the equivalent of a HS field right now.

Not your best argument.

Conference affiliation? Ok maybe I guess. MWC one of the better G5 conferences. Not sure that would impact a coaches decision.

Fan support? For football? They were near the bottom of the conference in avg attendance. Only Nevada and Hawaii avg less and Hawaii essentually plays at the equivalent of a HS field right now.

Not your best argument.

Conference affiliation? Ok maybe I guess. MWC one of the better G5 conferences. Not sure that would impact a coaches decision.
UNM have been there with UNLV from the beginning. They are also the original member of the MWC, if anything the conference need to help them out not throw them to the curb. You will know when I want to argues.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT