ADVERTISEMENT

New coach

stthomas

NBA Draft Pick
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2006
Here’s a thought, if I was the AD I’d get all the money I could get a hold of and try to hire Clay Helton. No doubt he’s gonna get fired very soon after the season. Even if he wins out he’s getting fired. He could really do well here. If he won 6 or 7 games a year here , hell they’d name a street after him.

Reactions: lvrebalum2012
Here’s a thought, if I was the AD I’d get all the money I could get a hold of and try to hire Clay Helton. No doubt he’s gonna get fired very soon after the season. Even if he wins out he’s getting fired. He could really do well here. If he won 6 or 7 games a year here , hell they’d name a street after him.
Something to consider about getting fired coaches. What are they being paid since they're getting their contract money? Are they going to give up X dollars to make X +/- a few dollars? Or just take a couple years off with the pay.... ? USC? I'm sure they're paying north of 3 million.

Something to consider about getting fired coaches. What are they being paid since they're getting their contract money? Are they going to give up X dollars to make X +/- a few dollars? Or just take a couple years off with the pay.... ? USC? I'm sure they're paying north of 3 million.
Joe , I hear you but this hire is the most important one ever. Same old same old ain’t gonna cut it. AD needs to pull out all the stops. If he’s making 3 mil pay him that and add a few years. Whatever it takes.

Joe , I hear you but this hire is the most important one ever. Same old same old ain’t gonna cut it. AD needs to pull out all the stops. If he’s making 3 mil pay him that and add a few years. Whatever it takes.
I just don't see that kind of coin coming to UNLV. We couldn't get near that number for the money making sport, the baby of the school, the only athletic program that has brought pride. Sorry, I just don't see that kind of cash.

"I hear you but this hire is the most important one ever."

Sanchez was the most important hire ever and look at what we got.

I like your style my man. 3,000,000+ for the head coach. That coach will need 2 coordinators making 600k-800k each and then throw in 6 other coaches all making 350k-500k each and you are looking at 7,500,000 just in coaches salaries. Big time coach ain’t coming here with a bunch of bush league assistants. You have to set him up for success not failure.

I like your style my man. 3,000,000+ for the head coach. That coach will need 2 coordinators making 600k-800k each and then throw in 6 other coaches all making 350k-500k each and you are looking at 7,500,000 just in coaches salaries. Big time coach ain’t coming here with a bunch of bush league assistants. You have to set him up for success not failure.

We better start a GoFundMe page Pete..

Someone posted here we supposed to get like 13 million a year for the next 10 years for relocation fee? Will that go to the new coach?

I think one thing to take into account when discussing Sanchez and a fair comparison is to look at SJSU's results.

They have similar money issues. Similar facilities. Just announced a Sports facility this year.

Their coach is in year three.

Year 1- 1 win
Year 2- 2 wins
Year 3- They are at 4-5. They just took Boise State to the wire. They have played in far more competitive games than UNLV has.

How is it possible?

They could still get to bowl eligibility this year. I think their remaining games are UNLV, Hawaii and Fresno.

Now they might not make a bowl. They may not win another game. But at the least they are remaining close.

How? Is it coaching?

If Sanchez was 4-5 right now and games were competitive I'd see an argument for retaining him. I could see that they were closing the gap. They were close to turning the corner.

It's a big reason why I can't get excited by wins over Vandy or a good showing vs SDSU because the very next week they get hammered.

Now either the recruiting hasn't been as good as we were lead to believe. The coaches aren't getting the job done. Or it's a little bit of both. Whatever the case the buck stops with the dude in the headset and he isn't getting it done on the scoreboard where it counts the most.

Fresno got Tedford so why can't we get someone close to that?

Fresno is willing to pay a coach - Tedford's base salary is only $1.55M but with performance bonuses he can get over $3M per year (he has to win 10 regular season games and the bowl to approach that, so not this year). Tedford also both played and previously coached for Fresno State, so there was a connection.

Tedford was five years out of his head coaching position, so there were not buyout issues with Cal. Clay Helton has three more years on his contract (through 2023 season) at over $3M per year so they buyout would be significant.

We have a new stadium to play in next year. By all accounts state of the art. People have always said it takes money to make money. Also ,you always get what you pay for. Enough with the coaching chances. Hire a friggin coach!

Reactions: Rebel_Luv
We have a new stadium to play in next year. By all accounts state of the art. People have always said it takes money to make money. Also ,you always get what you pay for. Enough with the coaching chances. Hire a friggin coach!

Did Kansas get what they paid for with Charlie Weiss?

All money does is allow you to compete with other schools for a coaches' services. It doesn't ensure any type of success. Still have to make the right hire.

Did Kansas get what they paid for with Charlie Weiss?

All money does is allow you to compete with other schools for a coaches' services. It doesn't ensure any type of success. Still have to make the right hire.
Absolutely true. How many dozens of schools have paid out the nose and got nothing?

While it is true you can pay through the nose and get a bad coach, it is also true on average the more you pay a coach the better a coach you get. If you pay bargain basement prices you typically get what you paid for!

I know he’s getting up there, but I’d give June Jones a call 1st. He’s proven able to overcome difficult culture and circumstances to provide a winning program. 2nd would be Rich Rodriguez. After that I’d also look at the other usual suspects that hav been thrown around (Neuheisel, Mike Riley, Brady Hoke & Jim Mora). I’d probably stay away from the assistant market only because I think there are a lot of unique challenges with unlv to throw a 1st time HC into that situation. However I do think Graham Harrell (USC OC), Andy Ludwig (Utah OC) & Scott Hazelton (K-St DC) are worth talk to. Ludwig & Hazelton have both coached in the conference which is a plus

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I know he’s getting up there, but I’d give June Jones a call 1st. He’s proven able to overcome difficult culture and circumstances to provide a winning program. 2nd would be Rich Rodriguez. After that I’d also look at the other usual suspects that hav been thrown around (Neuheisel, Mike Riley, Brady Hoke & Jim Mora). I’d probably stay away from the assistant market only because I think there are a lot of unique challenges with unlv to throw a 1st time HC into that situation. However I do think Graham Harrell (USC OC), Andy Ludwig (Utah OC) & Scott Hazelton (K-St DC) are worth talk to. Ludwig & Hazelton have both coached in the conference which is a plus

Assuming a change is going to be made because you never know.

I think Desiree will follow the 'Otz' model.

Looking for a young up and coming coach. I could be wrong, but I think its the route she will go barring a couple exceptions.

You put out a lot of interesting names, and quite a few make good sense. Others might be tough to lure to UNLV. Others don't fit what I'm guessing she is looking for.

June Jones I think is a solid coach but is closer to the end than start of his career. He has done well at similar schools like Hawaii and helped rejuvenate SMU. But is she looking to hire a guy for his farewell tour?

Rich Rod has a lot of baggage and likely isn't being looked at.

Neuheisel is in the same boat as June I think.

Riley same as Neuheisel and Jones.

Hoke is an older guy but I would have to think his familiarity with the conference would put him ahead of the guys listed above.

There were Mora rumors last year. I think he makes sense. Might be considered.

Harrell is very interesting. With Helton likely out at USC he might be looking for work. Younger up and coming coach so he fits what I think she may be looking for. Price tag might be a little high though. Probably on the radar for other jobs. But I would give him a call for sure.

Ludwig....Not a name I thought of but good call. Knows the region. Pretty solid resume. Is he looking for a HC gig or happy as a coordinator? At 55 certainly not old by coaching standards.

Hazelton is also a good call. Familiar with the conference like you mentioned. In his 40s. Interesting name for sure.

I'll add in.

Jay Hill at Weber State. Has been mentioned on here before.

Danny Gonzales the DC at ASU and formerly DC at SDSU makes some sense. Young guy, very familiar with the conference and recruiting this region.

Marcus Arroyo OC at Oregon. Young dude. But price tag will probably be pretty high. Similar to a guy like Harrell. He' could be in high demand soon.

Nice call on Hazelton. Interesting name for sure...

Rich Rod is not going to be hired by a female AD and acting female university president. The Nevada Board of Regents might even get vocal if a coach with that much #MeToo baggage entered the picture.

Helton will get paid over $3M per year for the next 3 years for not coaching, so he will not lunge at any position opening any time soon that would make that worth giving up.

Jim McElwain will still have about 6 years on his contract at CMU, but he is one of the lowest paid FBS coaches and his total buyout would be less than one year of Helton's buyout. McElwain is a proven winner in the MWC and in his first year at CMU he has them bowl eligible already after he took over a 1-11 team. He's 57, which is a decade younger than a couple coaches mentioned above.

Reactions: rebel5280
Rich Rod is not going to be hired by a female AD and acting female university president. The Nevada Board of Regents might even get vocal if a coach with that much #MeToo baggage entered the picture.

Helton will get paid over $3M per year for the next 3 years for not coaching, so he will not lunge at any position opening any time soon that would make that worth giving up.

Jim McElwain will still have about 6 years on his contract at CMU, but he is one of the lowest paid FBS coaches and his total buyout would be less than one year of Helton's buyout. McElwain is a proven winner in the MWC and in his first year at CMU he has them bowl eligible already after he took over a 1-11 team. He's 57, which is a decade younger than a couple coaches mentioned above.

Agree on first two.

MceEwain is at around 1.6 million isn't he? I would think that is still pretty steep unless there is some new booster money.

His familiarity and success with the conference make him intriguing. But that price tag might still be high for UNLV. I don't know.

MceEwain is at around 1.6 million isn't he? I would think that is still pretty steep unless there is some new booster money.

His familiarity and success with the conference make him intriguing. But that price tag might still be high for UNLV. I don't know.

It will be interesting to see what hiring budget UNLV has to work with.

What about the $3M per year for 10 years ($30M total) that UNLV is getting for giving up the old stadium? Some of that will go to defray operating costs at the new stadium, but there should still be around $2M per year left. Since that money is intended to help UNLVfb become solvent within ten years, a good investment on that would be a coach that would have a good chance of building the program.

It will be interesting to see what hiring budget UNLV has to work with.

What about the $3M per year for 10 years ($30M total) that UNLV is getting for giving up the old stadium? Some of that will go to defray operating costs at the new stadium, but there should still be around $2M per year left. Since that money is intended to help UNLVfb become solvent within ten years, a good investment on that would be a coach that would have a good chance of building the program.

Agree. Just not sure what will actually be available in terms of money and how all that breaks down.

Would 2 million or basically a 400k bump be enough to lure Mcelwain away?

Would they be better served spending 1-1.5 and have some money left over to attract higher end assistants?

A lot to consider.

Next few weeks will be interesting to see what if any names start floating around.

Maybe Sanchez is is safe for one more year, but any losses going forward have to make it less and less likely, even if they originally intended to give him one more.

He finishes at 2 or 3 wins I don't know how you sell that to the fan base as small as it may be, or attract any new potential season ticket buyers.

Last edited:
Reactions: LocoRebel
Fresno got Tedford so why can't we get someone close to that?
So who is our former PAC-12 conference-winning head coach alumnus?

Dialogue in this thread is pretty interested. Hadn't considered the use of the SBS offset funds. Could be a big factor if everything plays out well.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT