ADVERTISEMENT

New Article on Coach Menzies today

MonsterJam

Rebel Legend
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas Sun

“There is another dynamic here. They want you to play a certain way. That style of play is important. When the name of your men’s basketball program is the Runnin’ Rebels, you can’t walk the ball up the court.” - Coach Menzies

I get the tradition, the appeal of exciting basketball and what-not, but I don't understand why we would limit our playstyle to one that seemingly isn't conducive to winning in the college ranks (according to tempo statistics). Embracing a mantra like this is like a football team committing to Pass or Rush only even after the league has made rules changes that put your select style at a disadvantage.

If I recall, Coach Tarkanian said that one of his learning moments was adapting a different style than he typically coached because it increased the team's chances to win. He didn't always play man to man defense. In today's environment, he wouldn't exclusively run if it meant the chances of winning were diminished.

I must be getting old when things like this bother me. You can add this to the "fans love the 3 point record" among the things that make no sense to me.

Reactions: XFactorRebel
All of the comments about running have been mere lip service. These comments probably are as well. Running could mean averaging 70 - 75.

Interested to hear what he says during the off season but not reading into any of it too much. What I would love to see is a team that progressively gets better as the season progresses and not worse. Looking forward to watching this upcoming season

Very few teams actually run. And the ones that were considered the highest scoring teams only a few made the tournament.

I want to see them push the ball up the court and score before the defense gets set when they can but if they can't I would like to see an efficient and effective offensive set from them.

And like what the guy said above it would be nice to see them get better as the year goes on for once.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT