ADVERTISEMENT

Offer Myles Dumas

This kid looks good and I hope we get him, but I want to see an offer go out to the cornerback at Silverado HS, Devion Clayton. Clayton is significantly faster and bigger than this kid. Some sites list Clayton at 6'4" and nearly 200 lbs. and he runs a true 4.4. Clayton's only offers right now are Weber State and Southern Utah. UNLV should be all over him frankly. I admit I fail to understand why this kid is offered before a much more interesting local prospect.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Not sure what to say on Clayton. The different sites have his size and speed all over the place:

ESPN has him at 6'2" 170 - 4.93 40
Rivals has him at 6'4" 190 - 4.48 40
Scout has him at 6'2" 180 - ???
247 can't find him listed.

The time of 4.48 would make him fast while the time of 4.93 would make him very slow. If he really has the 4.48 speed, it is likely college coaches would be knocking down his door to get him to sign, the fact that only lower level team are recruiting him tells me he may not be a true 6'4" tall and a true 4.48 speed, but I could be wrong about that.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2975954/highlights/289931389/v2

Clayton's hudl. It seems like he is really is 6'3ish. The 4.48 looks correct. The most telling play is around the 7:00-7:10 mark where he lines up at wr, runs into the 20 yrds into the end zone, realizes the ball was intercepted, then runs all the way back to the silverado 40 to make the tackle. He's quick. Also a decent blocker. We need this guy.

Clayton has obvious speed, size, and hands but does he have the nasty that is becoming the calling card of our new recruits? Also, does he have the quickness? I see him projecting more as a WR than DB for that reason (not saying that if he became a Rebel that I'd complain one bit..).

Not sure what to say on Clayton. The different sites have his size and speed all over the place:

ESPN has him at 6'2" 170 - 4.93 40
Rivals has him at 6'4" 190 - 4.48 40
Scout has him at 6'2" 180 - ???
247 can't find him listed.

The time of 4.48 would make him fast while the time of 4.93 would make him very slow. If he really has the 4.48 speed, it is likely college coaches would be knocking down his door to get him to sign, the fact that only lower level team are recruiting him tells me he may not be a true 6'4" tall and a true 4.48 speed, but I could be wrong about that.

Devion Clayton has an official track time of 10.65 in the 100 meter dash at the Division I state track meet last May. He was the 4th fastest sprinter in the whole state. To give an idea, Lexington Thomas is also a 10.6 guy, but the difference is Clayton's body is 6'3" and 195 lbs. He has Lexington Thomas-like speed but Kendal Keys-like size, and he's still just in high school. UNLV does not have athletes in that mold.

Players like Myles Dumas (above) are a dime a dozen. Yeah he's a decent player but there's nothing overly unique about his physical attributes. And UNLV is really his first offer.

Clayton's two lower division offers don't indicate his potential. Arizona State is starting to gain interest in him as well.

I thought a similar thing about RJ Hubert because he had only offers from Weber State and Northern Arizona and eventually UNR, but it seemed obvious he was arguably the best WR in southern Nevada. And finally the Utah Utes saw a close glimpse of him and snatched him up. Otherwise he would have been a huge miss.

Bottom line is Devion Clayton is a physical specimen. You can't "coach" that type of size and speed combo in a player. A school like UNLV should be grabbing these types of elite athletes any way they can find them, and then worry about coaching them. The fact he's a local kid is a nice plus.

Randall Cunningham says, ""The kid is, in my opinion, probably the most talented kid in the state overall," - NevadaPreps.com

1003872683_preps_fbsecond_4_0.jpg
2975954_eff42be5047741259cdcd75498c18df6.jpg

Devion Clayton

Last edited:
Reactions: RebelinWA
This kid looks good and I hope we get him, but I want to see an offer go out to the cornerback at Silverado HS, Devion Clayton. Clayton is significantly faster and bigger than this kid. Some sites list Clayton at 6'4" and nearly 200 lbs. and he runs a true 4.4. Clayton's only offers right now are Weber State and Southern Utah. UNLV should be all over him frankly. I admit I fail to understand why this kid is offered before a much more interesting local prospect.
My only guess is that C
Devion Clayton has an official track time of 10.65 in the 100 meter dash at the Division I state track meet last May. He was the 4th fastest sprinter in the whole state. To give an idea, Lexington Thomas is also a 10.6 guy, but the difference is Clayton's body is 6'3" and 195 lbs. He has Lexington Thomas-like speed but Kendal Keys-like size, and he's still just in high school. UNLV does not have athletes in that mold.

Players like Myles Dumas (above) are a dime a dozen. Yeah he's a decent player but there's nothing overly unique about his physical attributes. And UNLV is really his first offer.

Clayton's two lower division offers don't indicate his potential. Arizona State is starting to gain interest in him as well.

I thought a similar thing about RJ Hubert because he had only offers from Weber State and Northern Arizona and eventually UNR, but it seemed obvious he was arguably the best WR in southern Nevada. And finally the Utah Utes saw a close glimpse of him and snatched him up. Otherwise he would have been a huge miss.

Bottom line is Devion Clayton is a physical specimen. You can't "coach" that type of size and speed combo in a player. A school like UNLV should be grabbing these types of elite athletes any way they can find them, and then worry about coaching them. The fact he's a local kid is a nice plus.

Randall Cunningham says, ""The kid is, in my opinion, probably the most talented kid in the state overall," - NevadaPreps.com

This purely is speculation on my part and I agree with your take on this. Just offering a couple other possibilities here.

First being that since he is a local, in house and campus visits are far easier to secure and set up. They may be trying to get as many out of town visits secured before they make another push in Las Vegas.

The Second possibility is that Coach Sanchez having coached at Gorman last year and his brother coaching there this year has a pretty good idea about local talent. He also has connections with other local coaches. Its possible in his mind this kid isn't talented enough to play for UNLV or maybe there are some character concerns we don't know about. Not insinuating this kid has any issues off the field or that his grades aren't in order. Just saying the possibility is always there.

1003872683_preps_fbsecond_4_0.jpg
2975954_eff42be5047741259cdcd75498c18df6.jpg

Devion Clayton

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT