ADVERTISEMENT

MWC

1Tripoda

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Aug 13, 2009
Is terrible in the bowl games against some mediocre teams too. SJSU just lost to Coastal Carolina...POS of a team that beat UNLV.

Entire conference was kind of trash. We were just better trash. We are not even remotely close to being on even the bottom level of a power conference. Odom has done wonders but we still are not relevant on any level

Reactions: UNLVINMD
Entire conference was kind of trash. We were just better trash. We are not even remotely close to being on even the bottom level of a power conference. Odom has done wonders but we still are not relevant on any level

We really seem to be recruiting the right kind of players. If we can make some adjustments during the off season we could be dangerous on offense. Hopefully we will see major improvement on Defense next season as it will be year #2 in the system. Looking forward to seeing the 4 star kid from Missouri at LB plus the 2 locals.

I think Boise losing their coach and QB before the bowl game really hurts. That idiot QB transferred before the bowl game is screw the pooch for Boise. I hate losing to UCLA in any sport. That jerker face Chip Kelly is especially hateful. USU also lost their game. WTF?

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I think Boise losing their coach and QB before the bowl game really hurts. That idiot QB transferred before the bowl game is screw the pooch for Boise. I hate losing to UCLA in any sport. That jerker face Chip Kelly is especially hateful. USU also lost their game. WTF?
Get used to it. It’s so awful. Not used to it, but my personal excitement level dropped just because the long break. I don’t know if I’ll get used to it, but I hope I have to because it means post season. So I’m not complaining about that part of it, just something I have to adjust to.

But not knowing who is focused or not, who’s jumping or not … the instability really irks me. Again, something I’ve get to get used to but that one I know I won’t … but it really does sap things and I think it always will.

Combine the two … it’s just really plummeted things. But the converse, what we are actually used to, being out of contention for a 500 record by the second week of November, is much worse. That’s apathy. Apathy trumps all.

Unfortunately for us, we happen to face a highly motivated Boise team playing for the temporary HC, which earned him the full time gig. I'm very aware it sounds like sour grapes, but I feel he suckered their AD into having to hire him by winning the conference championship.
SJSU played terrible vs the majority of their OOC and outside the last 6 weeks of season. They lost a ton of guys to portal and Cordeiro is done, so they're going to drop off...

Unfortunately for us, we happen to face a highly motivated Boise team playing for the temporary HC, which earned him the full time gig. I'm very aware it sounds like sour grapes, but I feel he suckered their AD into having to hire him by winning the conference championship.
SJSU played terrible vs the majority of their OOC and outside the last 6 weeks of season. They lost a ton of guys to portal and Cordeiro is done, so they're going to drop off...

We caught some teams at bad times. Not an excuse, just caught teams playing their best football of the sesson. SJSU got hot late in the season. Boise stumbled out of gate, but second they fired the coach things turned for them.

Despite Boise States decline from once lofty perch, they were still recruiting atop the MWC. They weren't/arent what they were but still pretty talented.

I keep thinking SJSU will drop off, but Brennan has done a good job there considering they have some of our same pre facility struggles and hurdles. Cordero will be tough to replace for sure.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Is terrible in the bowl games against some mediocre teams too. SJSU just lost to Coastal Carolina...POS of a team that beat UNLV.
We caught some teams at bad times. Not an excuse, just caught teams playing their best football of the sesson. SJSU got hot late in the season. Boise stumbled out of gate, but second they fired the coach things turned for them.

Despite Boise States decline from once lofty perch, they were still recruiting atop the MWC. They weren't/arent what they were but still pretty talented.

I keep thinking SJSU will drop off, but Brennan has done a good job there considering they have some of our same pre facility struggles and hurdles. Cordero will be tough to replace for sure.
We definitely caught SJSU and BSU playing their best ball, but any team with a quality QB who can run as well as he can throw was a problem for us. Our defense just couldn’t keep up. I will never forget watching two wide open BSU receivers next to each other way down field and only a single UNLV defender not within 10 yards of them. Our early schedule definitely helped us. That said UNLV still made tremendous strides under Odom. Long way to go but significant progress for our humble program.

We played a number of bad teams this year and our record against them looks good 7 wins. The good teams we played we are 3-2, AFA was dealing with injuries at the time we played them and that helped us big time. But when you realistically look at things, no nuances bs, we beat bad teams we lost to good teams and Boise St. punctuated that with a butt whooping a few weeks ago. Our offense stalls against the better teams, our defense breaks more than it bends against good teams and that adds up to we are not even close to being a lower level P4 team. Coach Odom did what he was supposed to do win the games on the schedule but our defense ain’t real yet and our offense still gets pushed around up front too much against real teams. I like Coach Odom and his staff and if anyone can make things better it’s them. But we have some work to do before we can be excited about winning games like the one we have later this evening. Good to have a 9 win season, I did not think it was possible but now the real work comes because next year’s schedule will not be like this year’s schedule, we will have to prove ourselves without having 5 straight weeks of playing losing teams primarily at home!

Reactions: unlove
We played a number of bad teams this year and our record against them looks good 7 wins. The good teams we played we are 3-2, AFA was dealing with injuries at the time we played them and that helped us big time. But when you realistically look at things, no nuances bs, we beat bad teams we lost to good teams and Boise St. punctuated that with a butt whooping a few weeks ago. Our offense stalls against the better teams, our defense breaks more than it bends against good teams and that adds up to we are not even close to being a lower level P4 team. Coach Odom did what he was supposed to do win the games on the schedule but our defense ain’t real yet and our offense still gets pushed around up front too much against real teams. I like Coach Odom and his staff and if anyone can make things better it’s them. But we have some work to do before we can be excited about winning games like the one we have later this evening. Good to have a 9 win season, I did not think it was possible but now the real work comes because next year’s schedule will not be like this year’s schedule, we will have to prove ourselves without having 5 straight weeks of playing losing teams primarily at home!
All will be well when you join the Pac-14.......

We are probably comparable to Vanderbilt, 2 wins in a very good conference. I have to think if Odom can keep us winning and getting 8-9 wins with a bowl game that he will improve the talent and turn UNLV into a good program. As a we become a better program hopefully better attendance. With more attendance comes more money which makes it possible for better players with the NIL. Not expecting to be a Michigan or an Alabama but don't see why we can't be competing for top if the MWC each year because of talent and not just because of luck.

Reactions: unlove

Who said we were on level with even lower end P4 team? Literally no one made that assertion. Although we did beat a lower end P4 team for what that's worth.

Yes AFA had injuries as did UNLV. AFA were more significant. If you want to lessen the significance of that win, sure I get it. Just make sure you show some consistency next season if UNLV has an injury and loses a game. I better not see any 'Injuries are no excuse! Next man Up! posts out of you.

Funny thing is people always say we beat losing teams! Or We beat bad teams!

We are a losing program. We have been a bad team. It's not like we've grossly underachieved for 20 plus years. We stunk..

Just like our schedule was soft. We made others schools schedule look soft to start the year. Guaranteed even UTEP fans looked at UNLV and thought we could get a win there.

There's a reason the books put UNLV at 5 wins at start of the year.

Odom coached a team with 5-7 win talent and got them to 9 wins.

Getting to 9 wins next year will be more difficult based on schedule.

Team isn't good enough in the trenches on either side of the ball. Have said that all season.

Bad programs rarely get fixed over night. UNLV isn't 'fixed'. It's in the process of being fixed.

Who said we were on level with even lower end P4 team? Literally no one made that assertion. Although we did beat a lower end P4 team for what that's worth.

Yes AFA had injuries as did UNLV. AFA were more significant. If you want to lessen the significance of that win, sure I get it. Just make sure you show some consistency next season if UNLV has an injury and loses a game. I better not see any 'Injuries are no excuse! Next man Up! posts out of you.

Funny thing is people always say we beat losing teams! Or We beat bad teams!

We are a losing program. We have been a bad team. It's not like we've grossly underachieved for 20 plus years. We stunk..

Just like our schedule was soft. We made others schools schedule look soft to start the year. Guaranteed even UTEP fans looked at UNLV and thought we could get a win there.

There's a reason the books put UNLV at 5 wins at start of the year.

Odom coached a team with 5-7 win talent and got them to 9 wins.

Getting to 9 wins next year will be more difficult based on schedule.

Team isn't good enough in the trenches on either side of the ball. Have said that all season.

Bad programs rarely get fixed over night. UNLV isn't 'fixed'. It's in the process of being fixed.
With Arroyo, I’m assuming we win around 5 games this past season. Obviously that’s arguable …

Odom stepped in and had the team overachieve pretty heavily, imo. By system, by selling it to the players, by buy in …. Whatever it was … then with some, after a little surprising success, expectations skyrocket to an unrealistic level to where a game you thought you’d lose before the season start is considered an “absolutely unacceptable” loss. The hype train impacts some more than others, some are super susceptible to it.

It sets things up for failure only. You are one of the very best or you’re a failure … tough way to deal with things.

With Arroyo, I’m assuming we win around 5 games this past season. Obviously that’s arguable …

Odom stepped in and had the team overachieve pretty heavily, imo. By system, by selling it to the players, by buy in …. Whatever it was … then with some, after a little surprising success, expectations skyrocket to an unrealistic level to where a game you thought you’d lose before the season start is considered an “absolutely unacceptable” loss. The hype train impacts some more than others, some are super susceptible to it.

It sets things up for failure only. You are one of the very best or you’re a failure … tough way to deal with things.

I think UNLV could actually be a better team/more talented next year and not get to 9 wins. Schedule on paper looks tougher right now.

Won't be shocked to see win total as low as 6 or 7 wins from the books.

When UNLV was flirting with the top 25 this year I still thought in terms of talent we were closer to a top 50 or 60 team.

Odom simply flipped the Arroyo and Sanchez one score losses that plagued them. And outside of Boise and Michigan eliminated the blowout losses. The SJSU game wasn't competitive, but Rebs had the ball late with a chance to tie. If folks want to lump that in with bad or blow out losses I'm good with it.

Season was a perfect balance of what could be done and what is possible at UNLV and a reminder of how much ground there is still to make up..

I think UNLV could actually be a better team/more talented next year and not get to 9 wins. Schedule on paper looks tougher right now.

Won't be shocked to see win total as low as 6 or 7 wins from the books.

When UNLV was flirting with the top 25 this year I still thought in terms of talent we were closer to a top 50 or 60 team.

Odom simply flipped the Arroyo and Sanchez one score losses that plagued them. And outside of Boise and Michigan eliminated the blowout losses. The SJSU game wasn't competitive, but Rebs had the ball late with a chance to tie. If folks want to lump that in with bad or blow out losses I'm good with it.

Season was a perfect balance of what could be done and what is possible at UNLV and a reminder of how much ground there is still to make up..
Yeah, but you’re not the over reactionary “we’ve arrived!”, “we are back” based upon minimal evidence, such as beating a ranked team, compiling a good OOC record against the charmin soft, beating a team that you personally hate to your core … you don’t talk about “great coaching” when you come back and steal a game late that you were supposed to win by double digits, etc.

So I expected your response. We are pretty similar in that regard, I think. Cooler heads, big picture sort of thing. Recognize things for what they are, not as you hope them to be.

Yeah, but you’re not the over reactionary “we’ve arrived!”, “we are back” based upon minimal evidence, such as beating a ranked team, compiling a good OOC record against the charmin soft, beating a team that you personally hate to your core … you don’t talk about “great coaching” when you come back and steal a game late that you were supposed to win by double digits, etc.

So I expected your response. We are pretty similar in that regard, I think. Cooler heads, big picture sort of thing. Recognize things for what they are, not as you hope them to be.

Correct.

Odom basically corrected some of Sanchez and Arroyo faults short comings as coaches.

Probably won a game or two we shouldn't have, lost a game we shouldn't have (Fresno).

Overall exceeded expectation but still some glaring weaknesses that he knows need to be addressed.

I think the floor now is set. Playing meaningful football in November and December.

The ceiling? Hard to say. Contending for conference titles every year? Totally possible.

Being a perennial top 25 team? That's a big ask at a G5 school.

Last edited:
If you put an exclamation point after that it becomes a fact.

So let's correct this please so that it happens.
I mean, I wasn't to far off this year... just missed on the "winning the MWC"

This staff is going to play with a chip on its shoulders for all the people that Saud they over achieved against bad teams. They're going to recruit and get better players, have more time with those that are here already, keeping majority of staff together for another year... it's all for that

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I mean, I wasn't to far off this year... just missed on the "winning the MWC"

This staff is going to play with a chip on its shoulders for all the people that Saud they over achieved against bad teams. They're going to recruit and get better players, have more time with those that are here already, keeping majority of staff together for another year... it's all for that

I'm not quite there yet. I think schedule is a little tougher.

Definitely not out of the realm of possibility just think another year away from that.

I'm thinking similiar to this year and in the hunt for MWC title.

Regardless..

Put the damn exclamation point and make it happen.

Recency bias is a bitch. And a lot of people suffer from it.

Winning matters. It is the key ingredient to becoming a winner. ~ Coach Rob
Winners are losers who win. ~ Also Coach Rob

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT