ADVERTISEMENT

Most entertaining game of all time? UNLV vs UtAh State 1985??

RebelScrub

Making UNLV relevent again for locals
May 29, 2001
I had to watch this game in pieces because it took forever..

What an amazing game. Tark used the entire squad to eek out a win on the road.

Frank James, Ed Catchings, Ritchie Adams, Leon Symanski, and my new all time favorite bench player..the original #12, Chris Fancher!!

I’ve never seen these guys play. What a treat!!

There were a lot of pieces of the 87 Squad on this team that played. Most notably, Gilliam, Freddie Banks and Gary Graham.

Interesting Squad and league.

That game vs TCU vs Lee Nailon and the Hornfrogs where Mark Dickel got punched. My second is that game vs SDSU where they come back from double down to win within a minute+

Reactions: RebelScrub
I will never forget the brawl between Utah St and Unlv at the spectrum.

Apparently neither did my USU sport psychology teacher that showed our class the brawl and asked us how we all felt seeing it lol
Did you say you felt a swell of Rebel Pride when Scurry punched the Utah St. assistant coach?

Reactions: LuvMeSomeRebs
Duke NC was the best.
Next would be 1977 win over San Francisco. They were number one. NCAA wanted to get us, so we got USF first round. 121-95. Sorry, NCAA.
Jerry was so angry when the 77 bracket was announced. Of the four Final Four runs that was the one he liked the least, thought was most unfair.

Reactions: NSU67
Currently watching LMU vs UNLV Pre NIT.Butler, Scurry out.

Didn’t Scurry have to make up like 16 credits because he got behind on schoolwork?

David and Moses were both taking the same class. The professor for some reason took too long to submit their final grade thus they did not pass making them ineligible for the first semester. Probably a Maxson stooge, at least that was what several of us thought.

The announcement didn’t come until late in the summer. Between that and George fracturing his wrist in a pick-up game around the same time Jerry was (understandably) frustrated, worried, going into the season. He front loaded the schedule thinking they would have one of the best, if not the best, front line in the country to go up against it.

Reactions: reagan21
Home game against Utah St. the following season was just as exciting. Went into double OT I believe. Was a shoot out between Freddie and Greg Grant, each broke 30+. Freddie hit a PCAA line three pointer to force the last OT. Armon had 20+ points, 20+ rebounds.

The 85 Rebels team was a pretty talented group.

Adams
Gilliam
Frank James
Banks
Anthony Jones

They should have went farther in the tournament. That Kentucky game was a brutal.

David and Moses were both taking the same class. The professor for some reason took too long to submit their final grade thus they did not pass making them ineligible for the first semester. Probably a Maxson stooge, at least that was what several of us thought.

The announcement didn’t come until late in the summer. Between that and George fracturing his wrist in a pick-up game around the same time Jerry was (understandably) frustrated, worried, going into the season. He front loaded the schedule thinking they would have one of the best, if not the best, front line in the country to go up against it.
Wouldn’t surprise me if LVHiker was the one that intentionally jacking the kids up.

I’m kidding, I’m kidding.

Reactions: GreedyGreg
Best game I saw was at convention center Lobos ended UNLV 90 something home streak, Michael Cooper team, great game even in loss.

Not sure how many on here were around during convention center days, but UNLv was vegas then became LAs team, just great memories

I will never forget the brawl between Utah St and Unlv at the spectrum.

Apparently neither did my USU sport psychology teacher that showed our class the brawl and asked us how we all felt seeing it lol
That fight happened at the T&M. I was 20 feet away from it

I loved listening to Richie Adams play. I stayed up late listening to the games on the radio or watch the few that were on I believe channel 21. I was in elementary schoo.

I loved listening to Richie Adams play. I stayed up late listening to the games on the radio or watch the few that were on I believe channel 21. I was in elementary schoo.
He was a FANTASTIC physical specimen. I just watched the hometown overtime loss to Georgetown for the first time 84 or 85?

I never seen the 4 corners offense until overtime. It is the WORST thing I have ever seen in my life. Thank God they added the 3 point line and the shot clock.

One of my favorites was UNLV temple. Knocked Temple off while number one at the thomas and Mack center 59 58 in 88.. John Chaney was raising all kinds of hell and could still hear him over crowd noise.. liked those Temple series back in the day.. crowd was unreal..

Last edited:
Reactions: NSU67
One of my favorites was UNLV temple. Knocked Temple off while number one at the thomas and Mack center 59 58 in 88.. John Chaney was raising all kinds of hell and could still hear him over crowd noise.. liked those Temple series back in the day
Crazy when Todd’s jumper fell through.

Rebels got a lucky break late in that game. What should have been a technical resulted in a critical turnover in favor of the Rebels. A ball was heading out of bounds and the Rebel bench, it would have been Temple ball, but I believe it was Clint Rossum who inconspicuously barely tipped the ball back into play from the bench. I cannot recall who recovered the ball, but that player was right next to Rossum, but it was going to be OB without his “save”.

I gotta look that one up again. It’s been awhile.

Reactions: NSU67 and cducker68

Rebels got a lucky break late in that game. What should have been a technical resulted in a critical turnover in favor of the Rebels. A ball was heading out of bounds and the Rebel bench, it would have been Temple ball, but I believe it was Clint Rossum who inconspicuously barely tipped the ball back into play from the bench. I cannot recall who recovered the ball, but that player was right next to Rossum, but it was going to be OB without his “save”.

I gotta look that one up again. It’s been awhile. Oh yea favorite obviously Anderson Hunt's digger to ludolson and Arizona

I gotta look that one up again. It’s been awhile.
Oh yeah. That was a good one. Falling just short of Anderson hunt burying lute Olsen and Arizona with his buzzer beater in ncaas...

Reactions: GreedyGreg
Oh yeah. That was a good one. Falling just short of Anderson hunt burying lute Olsen and Arizona with his buzzer beater in ncaas...
I just watched the last 6 minutes on YouTube. What a game. That crowd was insane and it’s nice to hear the proper cadence to the Rebel chant (@mee2323).

They didn’t show replays of that key play I spoke about … but it was Richard Robinson keeping the ball in play to Clint Rossum … it lead to a Keith James three with under a minute to go to cut Temple’s lead to one. And then Duane Causwell missed a one and one with about 14 seconds left. Tark didn’t call timeout, it was a play on … Booby James hit Todd with a pass near the key … swish. Temple no longer undefeated.

Just finished the UNLV Temple game.

Anthony Todd forever immortalized with that clutch shot.

Augmon wearing #30 and he was starting at the guard position.

Marc Macon getting open with various picks.

Temple playing a very methodical half court game and not running with us.

That 88 Squad lost a lot of firepower from the previous year.

Just finished the UNLV Temple game.

Anthony Todd forever immortalized with that clutch shot.

Augmon wearing #30 and he was starting at the guard position.

Marc Macon getting open with various picks.

Temple playing a very methodical half court game and not running with us.

That squad “wasn’t that good”.

I think they beat Spoon (SWMS) in the first round and then lost to a mediocre Iowa squad in the second round (not near the Iowa of the year before, just like UNLV).

The team just lacked a little oomph. I don’t think Basnight was the type that could carry a team and they weren’t strong low with Todd and Robinson and Willard. For a team with a little size, a couple of the bigs were bonafide stiffs (Robinson and Willard specifically). And remember, they (Bas, Todd and Robinson), along with Paddio and Rossum, were seniors, so it was a team with experience. Boobie James at PG (frosh) could drive you absolutely insane with his decisions but he had some guts, more guts than brains sometimes.

That roster is a LOOOOONG time ago, but in 87 they graduated 6 seniors and I believe the above mentioned seniors were in addition to Keith James, perhaps, for 5 more seniors in 88? Graduating 11 seniors in two years? Wish we could see those days again, huh?

I could be wrong with the number of seniors in 88 … but the premise still stands. A “crappy” Tark team would pulverize anything we’ve seen since Tark. Even though nearly every one of the six loss was damn close and they were swept by UCSB and even beaten by Irvine, they were top 10 for a portion of the year and climbed to #2, I think. They did, however, win a bunch of one possession/2 possession games, even in conference. But seriously, they just didn’t have that factor, they were missing punch. I do think Paddio got hurt and he was the top guy.

Then, of course, we add Hunt and Anthony, Butler and Scurry, James Jones … and an inexperienced team (by team experience) makes the S16 and ousts Arizona.

Then a dash of LJ gives you a natty the following year.

It was an unbelievable stretch. I’d love to be that crappy again.

Oddly, I remember many of us being so disappointed in the 87-88 team. After 86-87, we thought of it as sort of a bridge to the future team. 28-6. Some bridge.

I’m on a Rebel Binge watching the not so famous UNLV teams. 1985,86,88 teams.

It’s really cool to see a young Augmon play with an experienced Basnight. That’s a really athletic duo on paper. The offense is definitely not there but the defense is off the charts.

Gonna watch UNLV vs Maryland in a fe

I feel like my dad when he watches those World War 2 documentaries.

Looking back, I’d do anything to be one of those “underachieving” Tark teams these days.

And you’re right, our guys looked like grown men. Had to laugh at the ole UtAh State teams. They had a 21 year old freshman fresh off his mission.

Speaking of age, wasnt Augmon one of the last prop 48 students? Somebody explain that wacky rule.

I’m on a Rebel Binge watching the not so famous UNLV teams. 1985,86,88 teams.

It’s really cool to see a young Augmon play with an experienced Basnight. That’s a really athletic duo on paper. The offense is definitely not there but the defense is off the charts.

Gonna watch UNLV vs Maryland in a fe

I feel like my dad when he watches those World War 2 documentaries.

Looking back, I’d do anything to be one of those “underachieving” Tark teams these days.

And you’re right, our guys looked like grown men. Had to laugh at the ole UtAh State teams. They had a 21 year old freshman fresh off his mission.

Speaking of age, wasnt Augmon one of the last prop 48 students? Somebody explain that wacky rule.
That’s one of the more striking differences. They seemed like they were all 25 years old plus. A different mental maturity. A very significant difference from today.

Prop 48 was designed to supposedly give academically challenged enrollees a chance to get adjusted academically to college. The idea was not having them play gave them more time to concentrate on academics.

Anderson Hunt and Barry Young were technically the last two prop 48 players. They were supposed to be a part of the 87-88 team. There were others, Bobby Joyce comes to mind, who would have been prop 48 but instead of sitting decided to go the JC route.

A number of coaches were against the rule, most notably John Thompson, and the fought to get it overturned.

I think they beat Spoon (SWMS) in the first round and then lost to a mediocre Iowa squad in the second round (not near the Iowa of the year before, just like UNLV).
Dr. Tom’s /Iowa’s full court press was about as bad an opponent as they could’ve faced outside of Oklahoma, maybe a couple of others. As the season went on teams figured out Rebel guards couldn’t handle pressure and the teams that had the talent to use it gave UNLV trouble that season.

87-88 was probably Jerry’s second best coaching job at UNLV following 91-92. Former assistant and then CSF head coach George McQuarn said at the time the success that team had was as a result of coaching.

Team was supposed to have Lloyd Daniels, Clifford Allen, Lawrence West and David Willard. They also tried getting Mark Wade’s first season at OU back. You add those guys to Paddio, Basnight, Augmon, the James brothers and its a dramatically different team talent wise.

Remember after the team rose to number 2 in the country Jerry said, “we’re probably the highest ranked team in history to have no center and guards this slow.”

The great psychologist he was the very first day of practice everyone showed up all excited coming off the Final Four. He gathered the team around and told them they got a chance to be the worst team he’s ever coached. Most of their jaws dropped.

He did it partially because he believed it, but also to challenge them, their pride, which it did. Several players during the season talked about the impact the comments had and how it made them work harder. They were a great example of the old Rebel Pride.

Oddly, I remember many of us being so disappointed in the 87-88 team. After 86-87, we thought of it as sort of a bridge to the future team. 28-6. Some bridge.
I was honestly impressed at how well they did considering what they lost and what little they had returning. Depending on Cijvanovich to handle point guard duties was scary. Boobie wasn't much better. Todd and Basnight did a good job on the frontline with Richard Robinson and David Willard basically MIA mentally and/or phyiscally. Keith James(?) was an unreliable factor. Clint Rossum, Augmon, and Paddio rounded out the team and the latter two were great contributers. I still can't believe Tark got as much out of that rag tag bunch as he did.

Correct, JT. I really didn't mean disappointed. I meant apprehensive. Then, they go 28-6. What a job by Tark.

Somebody put up the Iowa swing bout of the 88 loss on YouTube. The sound is a little off..

We definitely could have used Lloyd Daniels for that game.

Augmon with a vicious dunk on BJ Armstrong.

Iowa with a vicious full court press.

That squad “wasn’t that good”.

The team just lacked a little oomph. I don’t think Basnight was the type that could carry a team and they weren’t strong low with Todd and Robinson and Willard. For a team with a little size, a couple of the bigs were bonafide stiffs (Robinson and Willard specifically)................
I remember playing ball at the Sporting House (I think that's what it was called (on Industrial)) and Basnight and Ricky Rob (Richard Robinson) showed up. We split them up and I got stuck with Robinson on my team. I knew things wouldn't end well. I remember giving him a pass that he surely would have dunked, but his stone hands couldn't handle the pass. He also bobbled an entry pass. His hands more recently reminded me of Quintrell "Cinder Block Hands" Thomas. Jarvis absolutely dunked on/over/through me, but really I just got out of the way when he started rising, knees at the level of my head.

I'm talking crap, but Robinson was extremely nice, good guy.

Reactions: j. spilotro
The 85 Rebels team was a pretty talented group.

Adams
Gilliam
Frank James
Banks
Anthony Jones

They should have went farther in the tournament. That Kentucky game was a brutal.
Yikes, someone recently put that game up.

Kenny Walker with the super block and layup to seal the game.

This game was a rough watch. The Kentucky coach goes into stall ball with 7 minutes left. Rebels mount a co

no 3 point line and no shot clock. Very different era of college basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT