ADVERTISEMENT

Most dangerous Group of Five teams

dcut03

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
Reactions: 1Tripoda

Texas State? really!?!?

This is one of the few places where they have UNLV rated above Boise State. They do not seem to be concerned with our QB situation. Some people are paying attention.
I have an issue with Liberty being on a list like this. 9/10 teams listed have at least one P4 on their schedule except Liberty.

I have an issue with Liberty being on a list like this. 9/10 teams listed have at least one P4 on their schedule except Liberty.

I agree that they haven't done too much on the field to justify their ranking. But they are going to be a Playoff contender unfortunately, so I get why they are on this list.

Reactions: rebelwithacause
Exciting to even be mentioned in the playoff bid- but their are so many questions left to be answered. Like how is our QB going to look ????

Every time we are in this position preseason- getting press and notoriety (whether it be football or basketball) it seems our team underachieves and lets us down. I can't really get too excited from press clippings because 40 years of being a Rebel Fan tells me to have cautious optimism. History has me jaded (but deep down I want to unleash some Rebel Pride)

LFG !!!

Last edited:
Exciting to even be mentioned in the playoff bid- but their are so many questions left to be answered. Like how is our QB going to look ????

Every time we are in this position preseason- getting press and notoriety (whether it be football or basketball) it seems our team underachieves and lets us down. I can't really get too excited from press clippings because 40 years of being a Rebel Fan tells me to have cautious optimism. History has me jaded (but deep down I want to unleash some Rebel Pride)

LFG !!!
When has UNLV ever been getting positive press for football prior to this last season and before that decades in the past.

For sure. Coming off the LV Bowl win over Arkansas in 2000 …. Ranked just outside of the top 25 to start the season … (stupid insane) talk of Jason Thomas for Heisman ….

And then whomp! First game of the season on the road at Arkansas, Joe Haro was too slow on a breakaway and McDonald couldn’t field a good snap while punting late in the fourth quarter and UNLV chokes it away. Season effectively over before it began. JT struggled with his shoulder all year long, and we just weren’t very good.

But the hype was very high, even higher than now, IIRC. We also had a pro (wasn’t a huge JRob fan, way too predictable and conservative, but he could coach and run a program.

We have a similar coach, not nearly as much high level experience, but a pro at what he does.

In between, we had shit.

When has UNLV ever been getting positive press for football prior to this last season and before that decades in the past.
I did say basketball and Football _ and I did say over the last 40 years - A couple JROB years come to mind & one year we were supposed to have a Heisman candidate as our QB leading us to what was supposed to be a great season, the whole UNLV marketing dept got behind the preseason hype and everything- ......but yeah we don't normally get positive press preseason for football.

Last edited:
It’s wild to me how Texas State has risen over the past 10 years. They were a FCS program untill 2013 and have seemingly progressed at an incredible rate to now be a top group of 5 program.

Reactions: rebel5280
I did say basketball and Football _ and I did say over the last 40 years - A couple JROB years come to mind & one year we were supposed to have a Heisman candidate as our QB leading us to what was supposed to be a great season, the whole UNLV marketing dept got behind the preseason hype and everything- ......but yeah we don't normally get positive press preseason for football.
JRob has not been at UNLV in over 2 decades, so that does qualify as decades!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT