ADVERTISEMENT

minutes

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
In regards to this board, one argument I can see being a common theme throughout the course of the year is minutes. Who should get them? Oh, there will be some debate with a starter or two, perhaps. But when it comes to the immediate bench, even more debate and the extended bench, probably even more debate. Hell, last year we had a season long debate with Walker and that was with a tiny bench. So I expect it to be even more heated this season.

I'm glad he's at a place where he's going to have an opportunity to play because he was going to fight Starr for minutes on this club and Starr would come out on top, IMO. At Chaminade, he's going to do really well, IMO. Swim with similar fish and you'll have a great chance.

I think it'll be stated on a weekly basis that the following need more minutes: Poyser, Green, Cornish, Morgan, Jones... and even Carter. Basically every scholarship player that I personally (it's certainly not official) have tabbed as not starting. And if any of them crack the starting lineup, you can sub whatever name they replace in my list. That's just a testament to the quality of depth this team has, which can be as problematic as it is a luxury. I think that's as big of a challenge as any for the team and the coaches - keeping team harmony, keeping focus, keeping the BS from festering. That comes down to player leadership and coaching. With this season, because there is so much capable depth, I'm of the mindset that if you can't get with the program, you can ride pine until you see the light. And if you are going to be a cancer, don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya. Across the board. I don't care who it is that wants to pipe up. Zimm decides it's time to show the NBA he's an elite scorer by becoming a black hole, he can watch from the sidelines. Jerome wants to do his best globetrotter impersonations with the ball, he can ride the pine. Pat wants to sleepwalk, he can have a seat. Dwayne wants to prove he's Reggie Miller, he can sit next to Tomczek. Etc, etc, etc. It may sound harsh but that's how I'd handle it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News