ADVERTISEMENT

Malcolm Johnson DE/LB: Tim Skipper's first UNLV recruit?!

If he's another Gabe McCoy type player like his HUDL indicates, then we'll definitely take him.

If Tim Skipper can steal a few underrated gems like Johnson from SEC country to bring over that will be a real boost for the Rebel defense.

Malcolm had PWO's from Auburn and Mississippi State. He had D1 offers from University of Louisiana at Lafayette, Stephen F. Austin and Southeastern Louisiana University. He had D2/D3 offers from Harding University, Huntingdon, Alma, Concordia University Ann Arbor, Southern Arkansas University, & Southwestern College.

By playing out of position for 4 years it severely impacted his star ratings. He was recruited heavily by Coach Peveto (Ole Miss), Coach Knox (Miss St.), Coach Skip (Univ. of Fl) and Coach T-Will (Auburn). Coach Curtis (Tulane) and Coach Hudspeth (ULL) both recruited him in State.

Malcolm Johnson made the 1st Team Defense All District / All Parish / All Region 6-5A and he is the Mandeville High School Defensive MVP.

I believe we may have something with this guy, Farrell Hester, Gabe McCoy and Soli Afalava. Hester had a really good season at MLB, McCoy really was starting to shine and Soli (it was either him or Javin White) was the guy Sanchez said he had to find a way to get him on the field he was making so many plays that he moved him to some Linebacker spots. Plus we had a Juco transfer last year that was looking to either start or play significant minutes till he got hurt preseason. Jacob Rominger.

At this level it is hard to recruit the really good Defensive Ends. There are only so many of them, not nearly enough to go around so they usually end up at a Power 5 school. The 3-4 defense may be the way to go. Easier to get a bunch of guys that are 6-2 300-350, coach'em up to plug up the middle and let the linebackers create havoc.

You have to love to have a defense where 3 guys are down and 4 or 5 more are jumping around at the line creating confusion for the offense not knowing who is coming and who isn't. Would love to see us creating confusion for the other team defensively.

2 more weeks to spring ball. I will be out there if it is possible!

I believe we may have something with this guy, Farrell Hester, Gabe McCoy and Soli Afalava. Hester had a really good season at MLB, McCoy really was starting to shine and Soli (it was either him or Javin White) was the guy Sanchez said he had to find a way to get him on the field he was making so many plays that he moved him to some Linebacker spots. Plus we had a Juco transfer last year that was looking to either start or play significant minutes till he got hurt preseason. Jacob Rominger.

At this level it is hard to recruit the really good Defensive Ends. There are only so many of them, not nearly enough to go around so they usually end up at a Power 5 school. The 3-4 defense may be the way to go. Easier to get a bunch of guys that are 6-2 300-350, coach'em up to plug up the middle and let the linebackers create havoc.

You have to love to have a defense where 3 guys are down and 4 or 5 more are jumping around at the line creating confusion for the offense not knowing who is coming and who isn't. Would love to see us creating confusion for the other team defensively.

2 more weeks to spring ball. I will be out there if it is possible!
I could not agree with you more I've been begging for us to move in that direction. Hope it happens

It is much easier to find outside linebackers with good speed to rush the QB vs True DE's. Especially at a school like UNLV.

I'm OK with mixing up personnel for obvious passing downs vs obvious rushing downs too. I think that was mentioned as a possibility earlier.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT