ADVERTISEMENT

Long: MM/RP Hypothetical & Honest Question

Jay's Rebel's

Lottery Pick
Gold Member
May 4, 2012
If the rumor of: contacting, establishing interest, and the real possibility of signing RP to become the next coach of UNLV basketball is true, then why not pull the trigger NOW and terminate MM?

As the title illustrates, I know very well why the program is hesitant in actually doing this, at least on the surface, as there are plenty of negatives that present themselves if the program decided to terminate coach Menzies mid-season..

For one: The level of respect and integrity of UNLV hoops would be further diminished amongst the coaching community, as well as the overall perspective from recruits and the national world of college hoops, as far as I’m concerned… Terminating a coach mid-season is rarely done, whether it is college or pro sports (as we are all well aware of), and for UNLV to do it twice to consecutive coaches? I get it; it would not be a great look and could spell doom…

Secondly, and honestly unfortunate given the programs circumstances and what we seek as a fan base, you have the long-standing and respectful relationship between MM and RP that is inevitably impeding and making this transition/possibility far more difficult to achieve than we would like…

With these observations, it makes the idea of terminating MM this season highly unlikely and almost impossible to envision at this point…

However, hypothetically; if we were to ignore these facts, the negatives, and the possible fallout that may ensue from that decision, what would you do if you had the ultimate say?

I’m curious of this hypothetical question because, assuming the rumor is true, UNLV cannot afford to wait if this is truly our GUY… More jobs/offers could open up, whether it be more prominent colleges or even the NBA,… It would be very disappointing to miss out on RP because we waited out of respect and perception of the basketball community…

For me, the benefits outweigh the negatives if RP becomes HC by the end of this season:

-RP gets to build relationships with current players, and secure/get commitments from guys he wants to maintain or want to stay..

-RP will get a full recruiting cycle to get players the he wants and the we need here,,,

-Lastly, I’ve read, that he wants to bring his son onto the staff eventually, as Richard Pitino is not fond of Minnesota anymore and would be the guy to take over once RP retires….

With all of that said, in a perfect world, i would be in full support of making this decision ASAP… Largely, because not only would we be securing a HOF type of coach for 3-5 years, but more than likely, we would be securing Richard Pitino for years to come after RP retires as well, based of what has been said…

Like I said, hypothetically, I know that there are so many factors and moving parts, and this is still so fresh, but ignoring the process, relationships, and current circumstances, I would be all for terminating MM and brining RP on board immediately while we can, what say you if this made sense and you were calling the shots??? haha

Happy NYE btw guys, if you couldn’t tell, I’ve already tossed a few drinks back… Just excited with all the news and possibilities that are surfacing with RP…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News