ADVERTISEMENT

Offer Local Lineman Offered today

It looks like UNLV currently has about 10 offers out to local players for 2016.

Some of those that I know of that they have offers out to include the following

Donovan Outlaw Coronado HS
Derriyon Shaw from Legacy HS
Jaron Caldwell Bishop Gorman HS - Already accepted
Julio Garcia Bishop Gorman HS - Already accepted
Ikem Okeke Bishop Gorman HS
Anthony Smith Desert Pines HS
Keenen King Arbor View HS
Samuelu Poutasi Desert Pines HS

If you can think of any other local players add them to the list.

Reactions: rebelbuck
Seems Sanchez is making an obvious effort to recruit here locally, which is great.

I don't want him to focus primarily on Vegas to be honest but if we can key in the players each year to keep strong local ties to LV and the state of Nevada and continue to push in Texas and other fertile recruiting grounds (Hawaii, SoCal, Utah,etc) we should be in good shape moving forward.

Vegas has a lot of great athletes but we have to continue to look elsewhere as well or we will never improve the program as a whole.

Seems Sanchez is making an obvious effort to recruit here locally, which is great.

I don't want him to focus primarily on Vegas to be honest but if we can key in the players each year to keep strong local ties to LV and the state of Nevada and continue to push in Texas and other fertile recruiting grounds (Hawaii, SoCal, Utah,etc) we should be in good shape moving forward.

Vegas has a lot of great athletes but we have to continue to look elsewhere as well or we will never improve the program as a whole.

This has been my stance all along. It is not the quantity of kids from Vegas that coach Sanchez brings in, it is the quality. If UNLV only grabs 3 players a year from Las Vegas but all are considered top 10 kids in the class I would have no problem with it. Would I like to see more of course but its the talent level I am more concerned with than the number.

I obviously don't mind UNLV finding players outside of Vegas because I feel regional recruiting is vital for success. There needs to be balance based on the contacts the coaches have. My only thing is--and I basically agree with Will on this--that UNLV should not overly feed on "leftover" recruits nobody else wanted from other states (which is what the past coaching staffs have done) when Las Vegas absolutely has under-recruited prospects who can really play ball.

California is heavily recruited, and for good reason. But the proven formula for winning 2 games every year is to haul in a "leftover" from Bakersfield and a "table scrap" from San Diego, and for whatever reason bypass a local stud who clocks a true 4.48 40yd and has a 35-in vertical jump, i.e. Kerwynn Williams and others like him. More than a few Vegas kids have been skipped over by UNLV only to become key performers on more successful teams.

Coach Sanchez is showing a noticeably stronger interest in Vegas prospects than any of his predecessors ever did, which is refreshing. I hope UNLV continues giving local prospects first priority. Yeah, I think they missed on a guy like Albert Lake but they really didn't have much time to put together their first class. I'm optimistic they'll be looking for prospective locals to build a program the community can embrace.

Last edited:
I haven't watched him in the recent camps but I took a second look at his film after the Phase 1 Camp. His game film wasn't strong enough from last season to add him to the database for me but he is a strong player that can shift inside to develop as a guard.
I'm actually surprised Foothill's 6'4 330 Saleutogi (LT) Lualemaga hasn't earned an offer however. He was the best lineman in the division.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT