ADVERTISEMENT

Official Game Thread Lobos

The Rebs absolutely dominated in the 2nd half. The talents disparity is obvious. The players tendencies is still questionable.

He’s officially out for the year. I think they’re going to medical redshirt him. He should be a good 3rd year freshman for us next year.
Friel have a high ceiling. The offensive line is organised somewhat. UNLV might have a chance to win another game this year. Man, that talents disparity was so huge to only win by 14. That defense is good, damn it!

I still can’t believe they held it together but at least we aren’t in the loss column!

I still can’t believe they held it together but at least we aren’t in the loss column!
The talents disparity was so great, I think a high school coach could have held it together. Arroyo assembled a talented squad. He's just need to put it together.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Charles Williams have became the highest rank UNLV RB ever? Congrats, Chuck Wagon! A few times, I thought he could have cut inside instead going outside and out off bound. Something that can be corrected at the next level for Chuck. I hope he make it to the next level.

Finally no 0 in front of the L's, 1-8 hopefully we can finish the season by winning at least 2 of the 3 games!

Charles Williams have became the highest rank UNLV RB ever? Congrats, Chuck Wagon! A few times, I thought he could have cut inside instead going outside and out off bound. Something that can be corrected at the next level for Chuck. I hope he make it to the next level.
I’ve really liked Chuck a lot the entire time he was here, liked Lex a ton too.

I’ve really liked Chuck a lot the entire time he was here, liked Lex a ton too.
I feel so much better about Friel. His awareness is pretty impressive. He is feeding off his defense. I like it a lot.

Give Marcus an extension
He need to schedule some pansies as$ teams next year to pad his OOC schedule and win enough to get into a bowl game. Like a lot of MWC teams. New Mexico won 3 games this year? With that line up? Did they play some Pee Wee teams to padded that schedule?

Mater dei would beat UNLV.
The terrible thing about comments like this, even when said facetiously or sarcastically, is that someone will regurgitate it like it's true.

Even with Arroyo calling plays and managing the game, UNLV would put up 80 in a 60 minute game vs Mater Dei

Reactions: rickyb55
NM was the worst college team I’ve ever seen. Some high schools would of beatin them by 3-4 TD. They are horrible.

Lol. You obviously don’t watch football. Mater has much better players than NW starting with dline QB, receivers,

He’s officially out for the year. I think they’re going to medical redshirt him. He should be a good 3rd year freshman for us next year.
Is he officially out? Last I heard (last week) he was day to day. Even with that I still expected they were gonna angle for a medical redshirt. Which I also thought would be the right move.

Player of the game has to be Kyle Beaudry 2 forced fumbles and a recovery knocked out the quarterback. Just wonderful game a lot of young guys getting in the action. Get greedy Rebels let's get some more wins.

(Dont know what happened to my quote, rico, but you're definitely right.) 10 tackles for a UNLV linebacker is a good sign. Seems like often for UNLV in recent history, safeties have been leading tacklers. Also really good to see a local kid have that kind of game.

Lol. You obviously don’t watch football. Mater has much better players than NW starting with dline QB, receivers,
Line up 16 and 17 year old against 19-21 year olds, ill take my chances big fella.

EDIT: out of curiosity i went to MD website and looked up roster. Lots of big boys. I haven't watched a HS football game in years but I know Mater Dei is still an elite team.

I'll stand by new Mexico winning handily, but they would definitely give up yards 😂😂

NW can’t pass. Stack the box it’s not hard. MD has better athletes and better players. MD would give UNLV oline problems.

This is like saying Alabama could beat Jacksonville Jaguars.

Its nonsense.

You would have 16-17-18 year olds competing with 21-22 year old men.

Reactions: dcut03
NW can’t pass. Stack the box it’s not hard. MD has better athletes and better players. MD would give UNLV oline problems.

Neither can Army and Air Force and yet they win games.

It's not as simple as just stacking the box. Defensive ends and LBs have reads and keys they are responsible for.

You think DE and LB’s at 17-18 years old playing for mater dei coukdnt read NM offense? Come on! Army and AF would of beat either team last night by 3 TD minimum.

You think DE and LB’s at 17-18 years old playing for mater dei coukdnt read NM offense? Come on! Army and AF would of beat either team last night by 3 TD minimum.

They could not physically match up with 22-23 year old men for 60 minutes.

Mater Dei puts out 10+ FBS players year.

UNLV has had Gorman players. They've had players from other top end HS programs.

Not enough of them.

Mater Dei could not beat an FBS program.

They could not physically match up with 22-23 year old men for 60 minutes.

Mater Dei puts out 10+ FBS players year.

UNLV has had Gorman players. They've had players from other top end HS programs.

Not enough of them.

Mater Dei could not beat an FBS program.
I don’t see it. Not in football. Physical maturity is huge thing at the lines, where games are won and lost.

Basketball would be different. That one of Findlay’s better squads was able to beat a mediocre UNLV in a closed secret scrimmage didn’t surprise me. Four or five young future NBA players and all future D1 players vs three or four older potential overseas players … that I can see happening.

Not football.

I don’t see it. Not in football. Physical maturity is huge thing at the lines, where games are won and lost.

Basketball would be different. That one of Findlay’s better squads was able to beat a mediocre UNLV in a closed secret scrimmage didn’t surprise me. Four or five young future NBA players and all future D1 players vs three or four older potential overseas players … that I can see happening.

Not football.

Exactly

Is he officially out? Last I heard (last week) he was day to day. Even with that I still expected they were gonna angle for a medical redshirt. Which I also thought would be the right move.

Player of the game has to be Kyle Beaudry 2 forced fumbles and a recovery knocked out the quarterback. Just wonderful game a lot of young guys getting in the action. Get greedy Rebels let's get some more wins.

(Dont know what happened to my quote, rico, but you're definitely right.) 10 tackles for a UNLV linebacker is a good sign. Seems like often for UNLV in recent history, safeties have been leading tacklers. Also really good to see a local kid have that kind of game.
Brumfield is done for the year according to reports:

Friel just turned 19 … so young and inexperienced. But he could turn out ok.

Add that he didn't play his senior season in HS.

Look, he's had a fair share of bumps. He has a bad habit of throwing off back foot, which I think is linked to the number of hits he's taken. I sometimes think he feels pressure or assumes there is pressure when there isn't.

But all things considered.. There's a lot more to like than not.

He does not have the mobility or arm Brumfield has. Brumfield should leave if he isn’t starting next year.

He does not have the mobility or arm Brumfield has. Brumfield should leave if he isn’t starting next year.
To me, it's at least as likely that Friel leaves regardless of whether he's starting. In 2023 or 24, Friel will have a real chance at being an impact QB somewhere meaningful. I dont mean Alabama... but somewhere with at least fringe top 25 hopes and secure bowl status.

He's not as mobile as Brumfrield and right now his arm isn't as strong. But I think Friel's touch, and ability to read defenses are definitely better. Friel has lots of room to improve when it comes to feeling pressure coming, too.

As a UNLV fan, I'd be content with either guy at QB, especially given how bad we have been at QB for almost 20 years, with the noted exception of nick sherry freshman year before getting hurt, and caleb herring the following season.

Not sure I understand?

There will be an open competition for QB during the Spring and Fall.

That QB room could look very different.

Just guessing, but Rogers may be gone. Tate has moved to WR (at least for now).

That leaves Brumfield, Friel, a walk on and an incoming freshman.

They may look at the portal and 5th year seniors if it plays out like that.

All things equal, I think Brumfield gives UNLV best chance to win games.

But he'll have to earn that job in camp, it shouldn't be handed to him.

To me, it's at least as likely that Friel leaves regardless of whether he's starting. In 2023 or 24, Friel will have a real chance at being an impact QB somewhere meaningful. I dont mean Alabama... but somewhere with at least fringe top 25 hopes and secure bowl status.

He's not as mobile as Brumfrield and right now his arm isn't as strong. But I think Friel's touch, and ability to read defenses are definitely better. Friel has lots of room to improve when it comes to feeling pressure coming, too.

As a UNLV fan, I'd be content with either guy at QB, especially given how bad we have been at QB for almost 20 years, with the noted exception of nick sherry freshman year before getting hurt, and caleb herring the following season.

Omar Clayton was solid.

But yeah, QB play has been erratic for some time now.

Omar Clayton was solid.

I thought of Omar Clayton while I was typing, but omitted him. I wasn't watching as closely while he was Rebel QB, but my recall on him isn't of him as being particularly good. Could just be not having fondness for that era, to be honest

Omar Clayton was solid.

Solid compared to who ? If it's Justin Rogers then I would agree but, who isn't compared to Rogers! You want to talk about solid with potential before Hauck got him hurt then I would say Nick Sherry!

Last edited:
Solid compared to who ? If it's Justin Rogers then I would agree but, who isn't compared to Rogers! You want to talk about solid with potential before Hauck got him hurt then I would say Nick Sherry!

Compared to anybody we have had since Jason Thomas. Look at his numbers.

Threw for nearly 2k yards, had an 18Td to 4IN ratio.

He was every bit as good as Caleb Herring was the bowl season.

He just couldn't stay healthy.

I thought of Omar Clayton while I was typing, but omitted him. I wasn't watching as closely while he was Rebel QB, but my recall on him isn't of him as being particularly good. Could just be not having fondness for that era, to be honest

Take a look at his numbers. The year they went 5-7 and beat ASU/ISU he was excellent. That team had 4 losses in games they were leading heading into the 4th quarter.

Nearly 2k yards and 18/4 TD to INT ratio.

Want to say he was close to 200 yards rushing that year as well..

Reactions: j. spilotro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT