ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s talk about Utah Tech (week 2)

Rosegreen1

Lottery Pick
Dec 2, 2023
Lost 31-7 to Montana State over the weekend in St. George. From the local media:

“The Utah Tech football season opener was a tough watch for the home crowd.

The Trailblazers took on the Montana State Bobcats, the No. 4 team in the FCS, and battled to a 31-7 loss on Saturday night.

It was the Trailblazers' first game with head coach Lance Anderson at the helm, and the Bobcats spoiled his debut. Montana State controlled the ball for 45 minutes, chewing up the clock with their 56 rushing attempts.

Utah Tech hoped to limit the Bobcats' run game, but gave up 329 rushing yards and three rushing touchdowns. Scottre Humphrey led the charge with 107 yards on the ground, and quarterback Tommy Mellott contributed 80 of his own, along with two touchdowns.

Mellott also had 147 passing yards despite throwing the ball less than a third of the time.

In what little time the Trailblazers had, the Utah Tech offense collected a total of six first downs. Quarterback Deacon Hill threw for 107 yards, with Eni Falayi being his favorite target. Falayi had 64 yards on five receptions to lead the team.

The Bobcats scored all 31 of their points — four touchdowns and a field goal — before the Trailblazers could ruin the shutout. In fact, Utah Tech did not even earn a first down until the fourth quarter. Their sole score came from Hill, as all 258 pounds of him chugged down the sideline for a 24-yard touchdown run. It was the team's longest run of the game and made Hill the Trailblazers' leading rusher.

Defensively, Utah Tech had a few bright spots. They excited the crowd by blocking a field goal attempt in the second quarter, and had a few tackles for loss, including a sack by Laytan Tanuvasa that took 9 yards from the Bobcats.

Their new HC was a senior analyst at Boise State, providing some familiarity with how unlv operates.

Last weeks coaches show (tremendous production value):

Play everybody, keep playbook closed and just take the 42-0 victory and move onto Kansas.
They need to win the first half against Utah Tech as easily as Houston. Sorry Houston, but you should have been down 28-0 at the half. Need to keep an easy win and leave the playbook closed until the big game against Kansas. Kansas has the potential to be a game changer for UNLV football in regards to being ranked for the first time every in the regular season, and in regards to it being an impact game that puts us out to the media as the Cinderella team for 2024!

I think this may go like UTEP did last year. Bad team with a bad run offense. Didn't throw it a ton, won easily, but didn't put up crazy numbers.
Odom has a point though about the importance of getting ranked and national attention. You have to play games a little differently if you are truly eying a Playoff stop. We kinda have to win big.
But unlike the UTEP game, who had a decent offense in their own right, we will likely shut down UTU's offense.
I agree I think you need to throw it a little early. Just to get more real game reps with Sluka. But I can see the second half go much like it did last week, though it may start in the second quarter.
I also agree Hajj should get reps if we are up big in the second half.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I wrote this on X, but I think he's politicking to get ranked because of the importance of being the first G5 in that poll. It would be hard to get ahead of a Liberty team should they go undefeated if we arent already ranked ahead of them. I know the rankings arent the only thing that goes into the playoff rankings, but its a consideration for public opinion. It helps the numbers game for SOS and it helps the overall viewership of the program. Especially since our schedule is very front loaded with the top flight teams in conference earlier in the year. By November, our fate will be decided up to the point that we cant control- ie- if we make it here with say 1 loss or 1 conference loss, there isnt much bite in the last 5 games to move the needle, other than just taking care of business.

We hid Marcus Bank there.
Marcus wasn’t too hidden and everyone knew about Dixie State, they were a national player. I remember I REALLY wanted Jaime Lloreda off that squad too but he went to L$U and Spoon wasn’t playing that game vs LSU.

Rice was Banks’ primary recruiter (remember, he committed under Bayno, not Spoon, so we had to stay on Banks) and had a good relationship with Jeff Kidder at Dixie, so he was safe there. Pitino really wanted Banks. A few of us from the site (including JeremyJDE, RIP) took in several Dixie games to let MB know there was support. I remember videoing him/picturing him signing his LOI, I think we all headed to a Dennys or something like that (it’s St George).

He should have never been at Dixie, should have been straight to UNLV. A messed up math credit in HS. Can’t recall the specifics exactly.

Brings up memories.

Marcus wasn’t too hidden and everyone knew about Dixie State, they were a national player. I remember I REALLY wanted Jaime Lloreda off that squad too but he went to L$U and Spoon wasn’t playing that game vs LSU.

Rice was Banks’ primary recruiter (remember, he committed under Bayno, not Spoon, so we had to stay on Banks) and had a good relationship with Jeff Kidder at Dixie, so he was safe there. Pitino really wanted Banks. A few of us from the site (including JeremyJDE, RIP) took in several Dixie games to let MB know there was support. I remember videoing him/picturing him signing his LOI, I think we all headed to a Dennys or something like that (it’s St George).

He should have never been at Dixie, should have been straight to UNLV. A messed up math credit in HS. Can’t recall the specifics exactly.

Brings up memories.
JeremyJDE was his HS teacher that told all of us about Marcus. Good times. It was close and personal then.

JeremyJDE was his HS teacher that told all of us about Marcus. Good times. It was close and personal then. I was a student then in Portland. Love it.
The Rebelways was a friend of your family? Dude even called me. LOL. Nice guy and family..scare the shit out of me. LOL

Last edited:
Look at them in the video. It’s like watching hunger games interviews. They know what’s waiting for them inside allegiant stadium.

Look at them in the video. It’s like watching hunger games interviews. They know what’s waiting for them inside allegiant stadium.
You're crazy dude. lol
Our defense nearly kills some of the UH receivers whenever they caught the ball. UH defender was so damn confused, they ran into Ricky White without knowing....LOL. The UH game was probably worst than the UTEP game last year. It was just weirdness everywhere.

Brings up memories.
Coach Girardi and Mr. Hayes were excellent Math teachers for CMHS.

Coach Philippi (UNLV strength and conditioning) taught English there too.

CMHS poached a lot of Vegas High School teachers when they opened. They were really good. Dr. Greene, a wrestling coach and Mr. Jydstrup..off the top of my head.

They look scared. You see, English is my first language, so I actually know what I’m talking about and how to read.
Good for you brother, English aint my 1st, 2nd, let me edit that. it is my 3rd..so, you be you

We hid Marcus Bank there.
He’s like one of 15 players UNLV “hid” at Dixie.

I remember playing against Marcus. He was a year behind me but was as fast and strong as a grown ass man.

Those Cheyenne/CMHS games were fun

I hope the Rebels go easy on Utah Tech. But they will always be Dixie St to me!!
Always liked Dixie State, unfortunately they changed the name of the school to be more “inclusive” or some shit. Played a few games on their home court in summer/offseason basketball tournaments. Lots of memories in St. George for me, so I wish Utah Tech a lot of luck after Saturday. I think there is a lot of potential at Utah Tech.

Always liked Dixie State, unfortunately they changed the name of the school to be more “inclusive” or some shit. Played a few games on their home court in summer/offseason basketball tournaments. Lots of memories in St. George for me, so I wish Utah Tech a lot of luck after Saturday. I think there is a lot of potential at Utah Tech.
No doubt Biden/Harris and the rest of the WOKE crowd did the same thing to the school name as they did to the UNLV mascot!

• Haha
Reactions: rickyb55
No doubt Biden/Harris and the rest of the WOKE crowd did the same thing to the school name as they did to the UNLV mascot!

Miles Kelly, the former Republican state legislator who sponsored the bill to rename Dixie State University to Utah Tech, said leaving Dixie Technical College’s name intact was a reflection of the fact that it was more of a local college.

“Dixie State had become a regional university and was drawing students from out of state and placing students in graduate and professional programs in other universities. It had more of a national reach than Dixie Technical College,” said Kelly, who lost his reelection bid for House District 11 to Katy Hall in the GOP primary in June.

Dixie State University’s name became a hot-button issue in 2020 in the aftermath of the murder of George Floyd and with the rise of the Black Lives Matter movement. Proponents of the name change argued the word “Dixie” evoked images of the Confederacy and white supremacy. Opponents contended leaving “Dixie” in the title honored the area’s heritage.”

It was a republican that suggested the name change. Of course, that republican got booted via voters electing someone else.

Reactions: LocoRebel
Woke has turned this country to its current shittier than ever status. It starts with limiting speech while preaching tolerance, then pushing that tolerance to reach unreasonable and absurd boundaries … and then claiming people that don’t accept those boundaries as something-ist.

Recognize the slippery slope before it’s too late. It’s too late. But you can see this coming. As soon as you were ok with “a little absurd” it became so much more absurd.

Funny how so many people that were a little left of center 20 years ago hold the same beliefs today, but now they are moderate right. Because the left extended their boundaries so far to the left.

I’ll say it over and over and over again. Censorship is bad. It’s always been bad. To me, it’s the rubicon. I’ll always stand by freedom of speech. I think half the posts here are moronic just like many people think mine are moronic. That’s all ok to me.

That’s one thing I like about Musk. Had he not freed Twitter from being entirely one sided, it would be reported, with conviction, and people would have believed it, that 100000 people died of Covid today. Misinformation doesn’t mean something isn’t true, it means it must not be allowed to be heard.

Miles Kelly, the former Republican state legislator who sponsored the bill to rename Dixie State University to Utah Tech, said leaving Dixie Technical College’s name intact was a reflection of the fact that it was more of a local college.

“Dixie State had become a regional university and was drawing students from out of state and placing students in graduate and professional programs in other universities. It had more of a national reach than Dixie Technical College,” said Kelly, who lost his reelection bid for House District 11 to Katy Hall in the GOP primary in June.

Dixie State University’s name became a hot-button issue in 2020 in the aftermath of the murder of George Floyd and with the rise of the Black Lives Matter movement. Proponents of the name change argued the word “Dixie” evoked images of the Confederacy and white supremacy. Opponents contended leaving “Dixie” in the title honored the area’s heritage.”

It was a republican that suggested the name change. Of course, that republican got booted via voters electing someone else.
I am guessing he went to the same school of politics as Mitt Romney?

Woke has turned this country to its current shittier than ever status. It starts with limiting speech while preaching tolerance, then pushing that tolerance to reach unreasonable and absurd boundaries … and then claiming people that don’t accept those boundaries as something-ist.

Recognize the slippery slope before it’s too late. It’s too late. But you can see this coming. As soon as you were ok with “a little absurd” it became so much more absurd.

Funny how so many people that were a little left of center 20 years ago hold the same beliefs today, but now they are moderate right. Because the left extended their boundaries so far to the left.

I’ll say it over and over and over again. Censorship is bad. It’s always been bad. To me, it’s the rubicon. I’ll always stand by freedom of speech. I think half the posts here are moronic just like many people think mine are moronic. That’s all ok to me.

That’s one thing I like about Musk. Had he not freed Twitter from being entirely one sided, it would be reported, with conviction, and people would have believed it, that 100000 people died of Covid today. Misinformation doesn’t mean something isn’t true, it means it must not be allowed to be heard.
So many famous statues from all over the country have now been torn down or removed which is just another way of removing the history of this country. At the time of all the WOKE/Democratic sponsorship of the BLM riots, which was just a cash grab by a few leaders, they were starting to remove statues of people like George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, etc.., if it had continued for another year, no statues would exist from our past history. This country has turned into a country of sheep that do as told by puppet masters!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT