ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Bush new transfer

Rebel Chi-girl

Lottery Pick
Aug 29, 2003
Henderson, NV
Larry Bush, transfer from Moorpark College has committed to the Rebels. Can't find much on him. G, 6'2, 160. Averaged 17.1 points & 5 rebounds last season for the Raiders. It is being reported that he will be a walk on. I believe that leaves 1 scholarship still available.

Last edited:
If he's a walk-on then I have no problem. If he were taking up a scholarship for more than one year then I'd be perplexed.

Reactions: LVKryptonite
The days of landing exciting recruits and "coaching em down" are over.

Jury is still out on the "coaching em down" part though I suppose.

I do think we see okay recruiting, once there is a full recruiting season available.

There's no reason to expect us to recruit poorly once Menzies gets a fair shot. Bayno recruited great talent. Rice recruited great talent. Spoon didn't recruit great talent because he was in all honesty prepping for retirement and being used to get the NCAA off our back. Kruger didn't recruit great talent because he can't or won't stomach the seedy side of big time recruiting. Bayno and Rice show me that if you've got the drive and attitude to play the recruiting game being at UNLV reaps benefits that a school like Wyoming or New Mexico can only dream of. Menzies will do fine.

Reactions: LVKryptonite
Didn't recruit too badly having just a few days after getting the job. Be reasonable!

Yea, pretty tough situation. Starting on almost an entire clean slate of players and how everything went down from Rice to the schmuck after him for 3 days. Circus. Hopefully we can run at least .500 for the season.

I guess we did OK, the record will show. But I hope we weren't FOLO on these guys and gave up a spot that we should have saved for future years. FOLO is a new term for me that I like. FEAR OF LOSING OUT.

I haven't looked at the roster for Seniors and Freshman, but I hope it is very evenly balanced. For example, I don't want a bunch of JUCO transfers eating up space for two/three years. We need to have 3-5 spots available every year for new blood.

Now that I write this, and think about it, I should just trash this comment. Seriously, I am assuming that there is loyalty. There does not appear to be any loyalty from the school, to the coach or the players, so there will be plenty of spots open.

Sorry for wasting your time.

The days of landing exciting recruits and "coaching em down" are over.

Jury is still out on the "coaching em down" part though I suppose.

Not sure what you meant by this. I think it means helping them remember that they are not the greatest to ever grace this court and you have to keep their feet on Earth. Anyway I hope that the days of landing exciting recruits are not over. I wonder if menzies has broken bread with Cliff to get that pipeline open again.

Honestly, if I were a player I would have a very difficult time coming to UNLV with what has happened.

I guess we did OK, the record will show. But I hope we weren't FOLO on these guys and gave up a spot that we should have saved for future years. FOLO is a new term for me that I like. FEAR OF LOSING OUT.

I haven't looked at the roster for Seniors and Freshman, but I hope it is very evenly balanced. For example, I don't want a bunch of JUCO transfers eating up space for two/three years. We need to have 3-5 spots available every year for new blood.
I think Menzies has assembled a solid bunch that looks evenly balanced. 5 FR, 2 SO, 4 JR, 3 Sr of which 2 are grad transfer, 3 JC transfers, 2 FR walk ons & 1 RS transfer.I believe we will have 3 -4 scholarships next year depending on if Menzies brings in 1 more player for this season. It doesn't appear that menzies just grabbed any players he could get but was calculating and carefully constructed this squad.

Last edited:
There's no reason to expect us to recruit poorly once Menzies gets a fair shot. Bayno recruited great talent. Rice recruited great talent. Spoon didn't recruit great talent because he was in all honesty prepping for retirement and being used to get the NCAA off our back. Kruger didn't recruit great talent because he can't or won't stomach the seedy side of big time recruiting. Bayno and Rice show me that if you've got the drive and attitude to play the recruiting game being at UNLV reaps benefits that a school like Wyoming or New Mexico can only dream of. Menzies will do fine.

Having the "drive and attitude to play the recruiting game" sounds great, but if that's all it took to recruit I think there'd be a lot more great recruiters out there. I don't know if Menzies is remotely the recruiter Rice and Bayno were. If your theory is "those guys did it so Menzies can", I can't really buy it.

I'm not trying to piss on any parade or pick a fight here, and I'm not saying Menzies staff can't recruit. I'm saying I have no idea if they can. I dont think anyone does.

I hope this staff can recruit AND coach. That'd be awesome.

Maybe we should just be happy his first name isn't Harry. [roll]

Or Jeb...

images

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT