ADVERTISEMENT

Jailen Bedford

We still have 1 ride left, is there any idea who they are targeting?
Not sure how active our pursuit is but we were targeting Lucas Taylor who would probably fit nicely into the roster at this point. Maybe a wing that can play the 3 with some size out there?

Reactions: rebel5280
IMO, we're good with 12.
I’m not!
You are making a bad assumption about where a guy like Lucas would be if he came here? He would instantly be ahead of a guy like Hicks who I think many here assume he will make a magical leap or jump in his contributions next season, but I’m not convinced.

Lucas has already showed he can play at this level of competition, while Hicks has not and that’s why signing another experienced 2 or 3 guy like Lucas makes sense.

Kevin is on the “hot seat” and saving a scholarship should not be in play at all.

DJ needs another guy around him!

Excellent pick up by the staff. Not easy to thread the needle and find a guy with these stats that isn’t jumping to a P4. Assuming Whiting is the back-up PG I’d like to see another stretch 3 with an outside shot.

I don’t think we get a better backup point guard here between UNLV not being good, no NIL and Kevin as the coach, Whiting is the best you get!

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
I just hope he isn't another paper tiger!
Me too … but it’s all we have to go by at this point. And in comparison to some others, it’s better than those.

I’m well aware of the possibility that he’s not all that he was on paper. I’d say the majority of the transfers we’ve received aren’t. I’m talking portal era transfers where money is the primary motivator. Old world transfers had a better success rate because they sat out a year and had to assess best fit/situation and they worked a year with the program before playing.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I don’t think we get a better backup point guard here between UNLV not being good, no NIL and Kevin as the coach, Whiting is the best you get!
Dedan handled a lot of minutes as a freshman better than I had even hoped. He averaged 35 mpg and that’s with three games where he didn’t register 30 minutes because of blowouts.

So if he doesn’t get hurt, it’s probably not going to be a huge problem. Injury to Dedan, we are battling SJSU.

Dedan handled a lot of minutes as a freshman better than I had even hoped. He averaged 35 mpg and that’s with three games where he didn’t register 30 minutes because of blowouts.

So if he doesn’t get hurt, it’s probably not going to be a huge problem. Injury to Dedan, we are battling SJSU.
Yeah, if he’s gone for the whole season, God forbid, then it won’t matter. More if he gets hurt and misses two or three games that we have somebody who can prevent us from losing at home to Air Force.

There was a better option but Kevin didn’t pursue. This was a player who grew up wanting to play here (he wasn’t local). Even worse, he was associated with a major AAU program, one that produces high level players.

That’s why a back up pg is a necessity. Limit DJ’s minutes to 30 per game would be ideal.

There was a better option but Kevin didn’t pursue. This was a player who grew up wanting to play here (he wasn’t local). Even worse, he was associated with a major AAU program, one that produces high level players.
Who was it and where did they end up? That will indicate whether UNLV had a real shot. Because at the end of the day NIL $$$$ rules!

Last edited:
Who was it and where did they end up? That will indicate whether UNLV had a real shot. Because at the end of the day NIL $$$$ rules!
Money didn’t rule on this one. He wanted to come here knowing he’d be a backup this season. The kid has that mentality and welcomed the challenge. Long-term is his focus, not making sure his ego is ok upon enrollment.

6.4 rebounds will help, Rodriquez was close to 8, Boone/Whaley arent good rebounders at all, so having SF rebound will really help. I am hoping Evans can come in and get quality playing time as a FR, it's big if. '

Not much else to add, I think everyone on here hit all the points regarding this recruit.

I really like the rebounding edge this 2 guard brings. I think that’s pretty much it for the roster, I know there’s one more schollie but I think that goes to a developmental player, like Barnabbie was last year.

Unlv could end up being the most improved team in the country in terms of rebounding. A good mix of size and shooters, imo. On paper, it’s a pretty good offseason for CKK.

6.4 rebounds will help, Rodriquez was close to 8, Boone/Whaley arent good rebounders at all, so having SF rebound will really help. I am hoping Evans can come in and get quality playing time as a FR, it's big if. '
Rebounding is a mentality, you either have the cajones to battle for the ball off the glass or you don’t. Last years team was incredibly weak in that regard, Dedan despite his size, wasn’t afraid to get in there and get a rebound.

Hopefully he’s not tasked with doing rebounding much this upcoming season and his teammates can do the dirty work. I feel like the roster makeup benefits DJ a lot, should be more space for him to operate and playing alongside active rebounders will help him be more healthy.

Rebounding is a mentality, you either have the cajones to battle for the ball off the glass or you don’t. Last years team was incredibly weak in that regard, Dedan despite his size, wasn’t afraid to get in there and get a rebound.

Hopefully he’s not tasked with doing rebounding much this upcoming season and his teammates can do the dirty work. I feel like the roster makeup benefits DJ a lot, should be more space for him to operate and playing alongside active rebounders will help him be more healthy.
Agreed!
So is playing defense and toughness!

So true. That was a big hole in Kalib Boone and Whaley’s game. Also, I don’t understand Whaley’s deficiencies in this area. He plays physical and has good length and athleticism. But doesn’t board very well.

So true. That was a big hole in Kalib Boone and Whaley’s game. Also, I don’t understand Whaley’s deficiencies in this area. He plays physical and has good length and athleticism. But doesn’t board very well.
I think it's two things. Technique and height. Giving up four inches to many of the players he's competing against.

He needs to work on his boxing out and instill a 'the ball belongs to me' attitude. No reasonn he can't average 8 or 9 boards a game.
Exactly!

If Rosegreen could do it, there’s no reason Whaley can’t do it!
Warren was 6’3 and Whaley is 6’7 and 260, move your feet and have the same nasty attitude when rebounding like he has when dunking on guys, take no prisoners!

There is no reason why Whaley can’t play similar to Great Osobor, except not wanting to!

Last edited:
Whaley was often out of position because he had to help poor defensive positioning by Keylan or someone else. Alot of our rebound issues by our inside play was due to that. Guys having to help or double free up a player to collect rebounds. There was also some pretty poor box outs at times but getting beat and help having to shift over opened up the glass for the other team

I like Whaley. But he has the physical tools to be a plus rebounder and has under performed . I linked his metrics. He is 6’6” and has a 6’11” wingspan. We often forget, it’s not just height. Length is a big deal and Whaley has length, strength and the vertical (at least 36”+) to board 8+ rpg. IMO he needs to work on his motor along with what was pointed out.

I like Whaley. But he has the physical tools to be a plus rebounder and has under performed . I linked his metrics. He is 6’6” and has a 6’11” wingspan. We often forget, it’s not just height. Length is a big deal and Whaley has length, strength and the vertical (at least 36”+) to board 8+ rpg. IMO he needs to work on his motor along with what was pointed out.

Sometimes it’s nose for the ball.

Odartey didn’t look like a rebounder at all, but he could sniff them out well. He was very limited physically.

Warren didn’t have the size, but athleticism and motor were huge.

Love to see us be a good rebounding team and have DJ near the half court line waiting for the outlet ala Greg Anthony. DJ in open court like that after every defensive rebound would create a huge advantage with his skill. But I honestly don’t know if CKK views the game in that manner.

Love to see us be a good rebounding team and have DJ near the half court line waiting for the outlet ala Greg Anthony. DJ in open court like that after every defensive rebound would create a huge advantage with his skill. But I honestly don’t know if CKK views the game in that manner.
I’d love to see it too.

But we won’t. Don’t think KK has that in him. Wasn’t the way he played in college, it’s not in his pops arsenal.

Micromanagement/control doesn’t allow for that.

Personally I think rebounding was significantly impacted by our defense. We would swarm the ball as soon as the ball touched the key. The second low post player would abandon his assignment for help defense, and it is very difficult to recover to go back and find your man and secure the rebound.

Also with Whaley, I think he trying to seal his man more than going after the board. Which is why we had so many rebounds coming from the wings compared to our bigs.

Kalib was not a great rebounder. His overall motor was low unless he was trying to score.

Bottom line, I think not helping as much will help our rebounding just by itself. We actually reduced the help some as the year went on which helped the rebounding differential. If we just man up a bit more I think the numbers will improve.

All that being said, I think you need a nose for the ball and the angles to maximize rebounding. LuRod was pretty good at that, but not as much with our bigs. It seems like both Cherry and Pape would be improvements over the Boones in that regard.

So yes I think rebounding will improve with our personnel, but less help defense will also be key.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT