ADVERTISEMENT

It's quiet in here....

reagan21

Rebel Legend
Sep 8, 2009
Thursday before game #1 and nada. Sadly I can't attend this week as wife decided on one more beach trip before the summer is over. I did give my tickets to a family who will cheer for UNLV and who's brother played at UNLV under Sanford and Hauck.

I wish I could be there to converse at the tailgates and cheer on the Rebels. My background in the drumline is sick I'll miss the Howard band. I won't miss another game from here on out.

I'll start some conversation. Our RB's will average 265 yards/game this year. Armani will throw for 2,872 yards. Our defense will give up less than 30 points/game (not good but a marked improvement) this season and we win 7 games, including Reno. We lose a close one in our bowl game.

Is it gameday yet??!?!?!?!?!?

Thursday before game #1 and nada. Sadly I can't attend this week as wife decided on one more beach trip before the summer is over. I did give my tickets to a family who will cheer for UNLV and who's brother played at UNLV under Sanford and Hauck.

I wish I could be there to converse at the tailgates and cheer on the Rebels. My background in the drumline is sick I'll miss the Howard band. I won't miss another game from here on out.

I'll start some conversation. Our RB's will average 265 yards/game this year. Armani will throw for 2,872 yards. Our defense will give up less than 30 points/game (not good but a marked improvement) this season and we win 7 games, including Reno. We lose a close one in our bowl game.

Is it gameday yet??!?!?!?!?!?
I think it's only quiet because everybody has already speculated on everything over the last 4 months - which is a good thing!

I'm pretty much on board with you on all of those. I'll say total rushing, not just RB we end up at 255ypg, Armani passes close to 3000 (2600-2800), and defensively we give up just a shade under 30, like 29 and change.

I think Boyd gets his 1005 to become the all time leading receiver, and we return a kickoff and two punts for touchdowns over the year. Looking at 7-8 and no bowl prediction until we see who the opponent is :)

I think it's only quiet because everybody has already speculated on everything over the last 4 months - which is a good thing!

I'm pretty much on board with you on all of those. I'll say total rushing, not just RB we end up at 255ypg, Armani passes close to 3000 (2600-2800), and defensively we give up just a shade under 30, like 29 and change.

I think Boyd gets his 1005 to become the all time leading receiver, and we return a kickoff and two punts for touchdowns over the year. Looking at 7-8 and no bowl prediction until we see who the opponent is :)
That's over 1,000 more passing yards than we had last season. Not sure I see that happening this season, especially if we pound the ball like we should, but I will definitely root like hell it does.

Reactions: mvvsmith
Yeah, I'd love to see more conversation on here, but I think we're all just waiting for a game so we can see these guys in action. Until we see them play, there's only so much that we can say... especially when CTS has played it so close to the vest, and fans have been kept out of practice.

I could be wrong here, but I'm guessing almost everyone has the same opinion about this team as of today... which doesn't make for great conversation:

- Our RBs and Oline have so much returning that we should be able to build on last year's success (esp. if passing game is better)
- If WRs are healthy, we have the best group in the conference
- QB is an unknown. But it should certainly be better than last year. If nothing else, KP and Stanton are another year older and more experienced. And that says nothing about the starter, our redshirt freshman with all the high school and recruiting accolades you can hope for. We just hope it translates onto the field on game day. With all that said, we can go pretty far with a "game manager" at this position. Ball security. Good exchanges. Hit some open receivers. Give them a chance to make a play. Don't make costly errors.
- The defense has more speed and athleticism. It lacks experience. We need the d to be a little better than they were last year if we wanna make a more-than-marginal step up.

Something to talk about, saw on twitter that Mekhi Stevenson rolled his ankle in practice. Now, we are down 2 receivers. Are we going to have a problem again with our WR's?

That's over 1,000 more passing yards than we had last season. Not sure I see that happening this season, especially if we pound the ball like we should, but I will definitely root like hell it does.
Maybe a bit ahead of schedule. I look at it as Armani putting up a lot of yards against 4 or 5 opponents (Howard, Idaho, SJSU, Fresno, USU; possible need for quick yards late vs Ohio State in late third qtr before the game is potentially out of reach and he's pulled). If he puts up 300 yards in 5 games, he could put up 160 in the other 7 and still hit 2600 (I think?)... either way, that's a big increase. Also hoping that consistency in QB play (provided he stays healthy) and WR availability lend a hand.

Something to talk about, saw on twitter that Mekhi Stevenson rolled his ankle in practice. Now, we are down 2 receivers. Are we going to have a problem again with our WR's?
If Mekhi doesn't play (turf toe) it's because they don't need to exacerbate an injury that can nag all season against a team like Howard.

He's probable, but I doubt he sees the field as a percaution.

Quiet before the storm. We've enjoyed a solid three years without the football board being dead during the off season. Things are on the up and up.

If the passing yards are up, that would mean we are playing catch up. If #1 has 2,500 yards, then that means the run game is effective and controlling the games. I'm going to say that passing yards is not an important stat this year. I've said this before- the Rebels best chance to have decent defensive stats is to keep the other offense off the field. Let's hope that turnovers and penalties remain low this season.

If the passing yards are up, that would mean we are playing catch up. If #1 has 2,500 yards, then that means the run game is effective and controlling the games. I'm going to say that passing yards is not an important stat this year. I've said this before- the Rebels best chance to have decent defensive stats is to keep the other offense off the field. Let's hope that turnovers and penalties remain low this season.
I can agree with that (passing is not an important stat this year), but passing yards being up does not only mean we are playing catch up...it could mean we have a healthy WR corps and a QB who can get them the ball.

Yeah, it got a little quiet this fall since we weren't allowed in to watch practices. I must say that Sanchez and the media have been doing a nice job of keeping us informed but it wasn't quite the same as years past. I am a little surprised to see KP pass up Stanton for the #2 QB spot. Also Sanchez seems to be really hyping up Armani. Lots of pressure on that young man but with that veteran offensive line and running backs surrounding him he should do well.

Sanchez may surprise us all a bit. He keeps talking about starting off running the ball and easing Armani into some short passes to get settled in. Now how many coaches since Vince Lombardi telegraph their game plan? Zero maybe. He may come out slinging it all over the lot.

Was happy to hear we had a new JC DE come in and take a starting spot. Badly needed. Anxious to see how the secondary and linebackers have come along during the summer. All in all I think the defense will be better if only for the simple fact that the offense will be able to stay on the field for a bigger portion of the game so the don't get as worn down.

How long since we had a kick off return? Sullivan had a couple in his hip pocket till the damn astroturf tackled him. We are due.

Tomorrow is the big day.

Really excited to see them play.

Go Rebels!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT