ADVERTISEMENT

It may be too late for us…

rebel5280

Rebel Legend
Feb 26, 2006
Bid 12 has been having talks with CU, ASU, U of A and Utah again about consoli the Big 12 conference out West. The Big 12 reached out to the four schools and we all know how fast things can happen. The Pac is the Titanic and I hate that the Wack 12 may be the only thing left for UNLV to grab on to!

If this happens, being in PAC is better MWC, I see UNLV. BSU and Fresno with Aztecs in PAC now.

Reactions: LocoRebel
Don’t know how much better the conference would be overall. Change of scenery, sure. And if the overall pay is better, sure. But competitively?
I think they may have to merge with another conference if they lose the 4 corner schools. My question is what does Stanford and California going to do. I keep hearing Washington and Oregon will stick together with the end goal being joining the Big 10.

Reactions: j. spilotro
I believe big ten might go get Stanford and convince Irish to join call it a day.

Networks don't care for west coast unless it's LA market, PAC can't get payout with UW/Ducks being in northwest, that's issue, and does big 12 try to go to 16-20 to be 3rd big conference?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Don’t know how much better the conference would be overall. Change of scenery, sure. And if the overall pay is better, sure. But competitively?
Tend to agree. But the front range teams being off the schedule and instead going to small town Washington and small town oregon... and possibly the bay area if those two schools don't slide into the ocean to avoid being compared to MWC schools. Might be nice to not have Wyoming, UNM, AFA, CSU, maybe USU... not on the conference schedule.

Pac 12 schools will be forced to associate with lower level academic universities. They have no other choice. They are in survival mode.

Pac 12 schools will be forced to associate with lower level academic universities. They have no other choice. They are in survival mode.
I'd go odds 60-40 that Stanford tries full independence before that.

I have a hard time believing Stanford would swallow enough pride …
PAC 12 CEO's are having a meeting this weekend during the conference tournament in Vegas. The are Supposed to review the TV contract options and come to some kind of agreement on expansion.

These guys set up shop in Vegas long time ago. The Pac 10 plays at T Mobile and Allegiant.

I believe big ten might go get Stanford and convince Irish to join call it a day.

Networks don't care for west coast unless it's LA market, PAC can't get payout with UW/Ducks being in northwest, that's issue, and does big 12 try to go to 16-20 to be 3rd big conference?
IMO, the whole thing is impossible to predict right now because there are too many variables. How big does the Big 10 and the Big 12 intend to get? Does this expansion give them the TV revenue they expect in future contracts? Do PAC 12, SEC and ACC try to follow the BIG 10 and 12? Is there enough media $$ to go around for these expansions? What does media even look like in two or three years?

Contrasting the variables is the one constant. Money. Each program within a conference is interested in maximizing its income. They will go wherever it makes the most sense dollar-wise. They will include or exclude programs that improve their bottom line.

We've had several go-arounds with expansion and have been excluded every time. I don't expect a turnaround soon. We must immediately figure out how to (1) expand the MWC to make up for losses and keep our revenue or (2) move to a conference that will get us revenue equal to what we now receive. Longer term or in the near future, we should also (3) do everything possible to make us attractive to possible suitors.

I hope the MWC has the leadership to get this done. The new Commissioner has been in office less than 90 days. She was the WCC Commissioner for 4 years prior to moving to the MWC and she did negotiate their media contract. Even with this experience, I'm not optimistic in the least because she has been in the job for such a short period of time and she has no experience with expansion.

The latest read is that there will be no "in person" meeting with the Pac-12 Board of Directors at the Pac-12 basketball tournament this week. They will only be given an update as to the “latest details on the final stages of the league's media negotiations will be presented.”

I don't see them finalizing any type of expansion. Money is going to be the one factor keeping the current membership. If the money isn't adequate from the media rights negotiations then that may trigger the "Four Corner" schools to bolt. Expansion will blow up with a bunch of unknown factors and the media negotiations will have to start all over.

Sadly, regardless of the scenario I just painted UNLV is not wanted by the Pac-12. So, even if they expand with six additional schools we more than likely will still be on the outside looking in. The Pac-12 will go after other schools several time zones away. It's something we can't control.

• Sad
If the four corner schools leave for the big 12, and Oregon and Washington head to the big 10 then UNLV will not be in the MWC. Oregon St, Washington St, and Cal will not join the MWC. Either the Pac will expand or a new conference will be created. Either way UNLV will be part of it

If the four corner schools leave for the big 12, and Oregon and Washington head to the big 10 then UNLV will not be in the MWC. Oregon St, Washington St, and Cal will not join the MWC. Either the Pac will expand or a new conference will be created. Either way UNLV will be part of it
This the likely outcome after the dust settles. I would have preferred UNLV in the Big 12 but this will be better than nothing!

This the likely outcome after the dust settles. I would have preferred UNLV in the Big 12 but this will be better than nothing!
It could just as easily be that we end up getting passed over completely and end up in the WAC that has become an FCS conference. Or we have to dump football and combine with the Big West. Or...........

It could just as easily be that we end up getting passed over completely and end up in the WAC that has become an FCS conference. Or we have to dump football and combine with the Big West. Or...........
I find it very hard to believe that we would dump football based on the all the money being invested into the program. The years ahead for college sports is certainly going to be crazy, so I guess anything could happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT