ADVERTISEMENT

I haven't seen AFA or SJSU play yet

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
but have seen everyone else in conference play at least a couple of times now.

Every school has their own unique set of challenges, none more than UNLV, but to say this league is very mediocre is over-exaggerating a lot.

Since I've been watching closely since the mid-80's, from top to bottom, UNLV has never been in a weaker conference. Whoever ends up "best" in this league will be a mediocre team, probably in the 50-75 range in terms of rankings and ratings. There are a handful of good players, a few good duos, but no good teams. It's no surprise that the at large bubble was popped just after thanksgiving.

That's the bad news. The good news is it is wide open and even though it won't be high level basketball, it'll be competitive which, even though it's not pretty, should lead to some excitement for a few schools. What sucks is that excitement still won't matter until the MWCT where I'm not sure anything more than a first round bye will be a huge advantage. Finishing 1 vs 5 might not be that big of a deal since neither will get an at large. Winning the regular season title will be for bragging rights, I guess, but not much else. I cannot see the league winner running away with a 15-3 type of record and having a bubble chance. It's going to take the MWC tournament.

I look at the Rebels - when they are bad, they are woeful. When they are at their best, they're as "good" or mediocre as anyone else in this league. Talent wise, I think they stack up, in fact, an edge over many in conference. Experience wise, not quite as much.

San Diego State is usually the best in this conference and I don't know if they have anything to actually put together, but when I've seen them, they've looked BAD. I would be surprised if Fisher is back for another season, I wouldn't be surpised if we all of a sudden hear of a retirement by way of "health concerns" at some point before the season ends. Maybe the team is truly making him sick, I don't know.

UNM has a tough duo with Brown and Williams and that may give them a bit of an edge.

But it really is wide open. I certainly do not expect UNLV to rise up and win it, neither the regular season or the MWCT, but if there's any year it can be done with a mediocre team, this is it. If you could guarantee me UNLV would play within 10-20% of their capabilities over the next 16 games, I'd tell you we have a chance, but very few teams play near their abilities for such a long stretch and it isn't fair to expect.

Need to stay healthy here on out and need guys like Dembele, Jojo, Clyburn and Troy to get more comfortable. They all return, as does Poyser and a couple of others. There is a nucleus there. The more we can get from them now, the better off we will be to start next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News