ADVERTISEMENT

HUGE NEWS!

My perspective on possible Texas schools from living here 20 years.

Sam Houston/Texas State. Very similar. Tx State is about an hour outside of Austin which is blowing up these days. Sam is about 90 min from Houston. They both actually have a decent amount of alumni in big markets. Their biggest fans are in their respective towns which are small. These second and third tier TX schools and students typically are bigger fans of TX schools that they group up with. Like UT and A&M. So much that even current student may try to get into UT games or A&M games over their own school. I have seen this before.

So adjacent to big markets with a so-so share. Their fans are usually fans of other schools over their own. They are also relatively new to FBS. If they get big, they get some decent crowds. So some potential.

UTEP is different. It it is the best market in isolation by far. They are out on their own a bit more in terms of TX so they have fewer fans that are bigger fans of other schools. They obvisously have stunk it up the past few years. But they do have a cool stadium built into a mountain with decent capacity and have had a pretty good bowl attached to them ( The Sun Bowl), but honestly I don't know if that still exists TBH.

In terms of Market share UTEP is probably number 1, but the other 2 might have better potential? UTEP is close to New Mexico so they make more geographical sense.

My perspective on possible Texas schools from living here 20 years.

Sam Houston/Texas State. Very similar. Tx State is about an hour outside of Austin which is blowing up these days. Sam is about 90 min from Houston. They both actually have a decent amount of alumni in big markets. Their biggest fans are in their respective towns which are small. These second and third tier TX schools and students typically are bigger fans of TX schools that they group up with. Like UT and A&M. So much that even current student may try to get into UT games or A&M games over their own school. I have seen this before.

So adjacent to big markets with a so-so share. Their fans are usually fans of other schools over their own. They are also relatively new to FBS. If they get big, they get some decent crowds. So some potential.

UTEP is different. It it is the best market in isolation by far. They are out on their own a bit more in terms of TX so they have fewer fans that are bigger fans of other schools. They obvisously have stunk it up the past few years. But they do have a cool stadium built into a mountain with decent capacity and have had a pretty good bowl attached to them ( The Sun Bowl), but honestly I don't know if that still exists TBH.

In terms of Market share UTEP is probably number 1, but the other 2 might have better potential? UTEP is close to New Mexico so they make more geographical sense.
The attendance for Texas State is by far better than the other two. UTEP is like our Silver Bowl days at its absolute lowest minus a thousand or two.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
iu

Ah yes Shenanigans..While adopted by Americans and widely used. It was brought to America by Irish immigrants and has Gaelic roots.

Gaelic is short for: Funny speaking Europeans who definitely don't speak proper American English.

Yeah..I'm not enamored with prospect of NMSU and UTEP but they make sense on a few levels.

This will sound back handed but. There just aren't a lot of other options.

Geographic sense.

We might need them to survive.
And who's to say with a little more media money they couldn't start improving some things. They would also be saving a little in overall travel expenses I think. (Could be wrong I didn't bust out a map and ruler to calculate)

Side note.

Their fan base on Twitter is almost in unison saying please God let this happen. Followed by 'But we are UTEP and nothing good happens to us.' 🤣
I feel a strange camaraderie with the Utep fans. Its like Utep is a step behind where UNLV was during the Sanford years; except without a string of great x receivers. It seems like they’ve suffered through the same decades of mediocrity we have; though without the flash of winning in basketball in the 90’s.

The attendance for Texas State is by far better than the other two. UTEP is like our Silver Bowl days at its absolute lowest minus a thousand or two.
True. Texas State has also being doing the best. So yes I think they will show up when they are good, but also more likely to abandon ship to watch their "other schools".

Also UTEP isn't that far off, and arguable has more potential and a loyal fan base

Reactions: RebelinWA
Ah yes Shenanigans..While adopted by Americans and widely used. It was brought to America by Irish immigrants and has Gaelic roots.

Gaelic is short for: Funny speaking Europeans who definitely don't speak proper American English.
I needed my wife (who is from Ireland) to translate when I first met her Father. But in comparison to the Travelers your typical Irish person speaks the Queen's English. If you ever saw Brad Pitt's character in the movie Snatch that is a Traveler.

True. Texas State has also being doing the best. So yes I think they will show up when they are good, but also more likely to abandon ship to watch their "other schools".

Also UTEP isn't that far off, and arguable has more potential and a loyal fan base

18K is still pretty weak though better than the 15K they averaged a few years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT