ADVERTISEMENT

Hall is testing the portal

Not surprised.. would've been nice to see him stay, but KK not playing him and working him into rotation even with foul issues mightve contributed to this

Not surprised.. would've been nice to see him stay, but KK not playing him and working him into rotation even with foul issues mightve contributed to this
He should redshirt get into shape and develop his D if he want to get significant playing time. He wont. I do see bye his Junior year he might have a impact depending on where he lands. They need to have the right system for him that can hide is lack of D. It will be interesting where he lands.

Reactions: TimothyC3
By his own words he came in overweight. Also with KKs stubbornness and the early success against life insurance colleges, KK probably didn’t want to try any new rotations (Nowell too). Hall will be perfect in the MAC. Close to home and in a few years could dominate that league.

Blows my mind that a team that lacked size couldn't find a way to use a versatile 6'7" 250+ guy somewhere but oh well. Good luck dude. Always liked your game.
Has to do with Coach... KK and TJO both ignored HS players development at UNLV in favor of hitting the jackpot in the portal. KK has basically abandoned HS recruiting altogether outside Hicks and hoping/praying Dedan stays home.
If you were a HS kid, why waste your time here developing with a coach who doesn't want to deal with that when you can go to a lower level school, develop, make an NCAA tournament and then transfer to a high level program for exposure.
It's exactly why I'm so irrirated by the idea that more time will fix everything. KK is entering 5th year in the culture, 3rd in charge and has 1 long term player that clearly regressed and may not even be on team in next few weeks...

Blows my mind that my favorite player, the one who had moves around the basket, unlike our other big men, the returning guy that I was looking forward to watching next year is in the portal. Makes me wonder about Kruger. I suppose Jackie Johnson is next. I like his game too.

Blows my mind that my favorite player, the one who had moves around the basket, unlike our other big men, the returning guy that I was looking forward to watching next year is in the portal. Makes me wonder about Kruger. I suppose Jackie Johnson is next. I like his game too.
That happened to me with too many players already. Luckily, I never saw Hall on the floor so I don’t know what we might be missing out on.

He should redshirt get into shape and develop his D if he want to get significant playing time. He wont. I do see bye his Junior year he might have a impact depending on where he lands. They need to have the right system for him that can hide is lack of D. It will be interesting where he lands.
Wait, so you're saying he should sit out a whole year and not get any game reps? That's not the greatest idea. If you RS, it should be during your freshman year and you have to be very weak. He's already slimmed down a lot and he will continue to do so from now until he decides on his next stop. He will be way slimmer at the start of next season.

If he RS, his new school won't know how he is in real life situations and he will be recruited over next cycle. I also don't think he needs a system where his defense can be hidden. A lot of freshmen struggle on defense. He will be just fine.

Wait, so you're saying he should sit out a whole year and not get any game reps? That's not the greatest idea. If you RS, it should be during your freshman year and you have to be very weak. He's already slimmed down a lot and he will continue to do so from now until he decides on his next stop. He will be way slimmer at the start of next season.

If he RS, his new school won't know how he is in real life situations and he will be recruited over next cycle. I also don't think he needs a system where his defense can be hidden. A lot of freshmen struggle on defense. He will be just fine.
Yeah, with the portal now, most kids won't redshirt. They'll go to lower tier school to get PT, then become a grad transfer if they make anything of themselves. There's not much point to RS outside injury anymore.

Yeah, with the portal now, most kids won't redshirt. They'll go to lower tier school to get PT, then become a grad transfer if they make anything of themselves. There's not much point to RS outside injury anymore.
Good - players should play not sit. The NCAA had some pretty stupid rules - All the power was in the institutions and associations hands before - the players were like pawns being abused and exploited - its great to see the ones who procure the interest reap the benefit with more freedom.

Good - players should play not sit. The NCAA had some pretty stupid rules - All the power was in the institutions and associations hands before - the players were like pawns being abused and exploited - its great to see the ones who procure the interest reap the benefit with more freedom.
Yea it not good for UNLV with the new rules ,but i hate hypocrites. Kids are being exploited for years with degrees that they never use and usually does not pay that much money. Almost always easy ones so they can stay eligible. They should offer trade equivalent to a degree. That way they are set for $$ after they leave. Meanwhile coaches and administrators can leave at will. If a kids wants to leave so be it. IF some school can offer him X amount of money so be it. If its bad decision thats the kids to make and live with. Who are we to judge. With UNLV we should be on the inside looking out ,but we are on the outside looking in ,because we were managed so piss poor for the last 30 years. We essentially are on the cusp of bankruptcy !

These lists are always funny to look at. The last 3 teams listed are realistic landing spots. The top half is just a joke. Remember Gonzaga was “interested” in Marvin Coleman last year

As crazy as it sounds, I can confirm that DePaul and Ohio State have been in contact
DePaul would make a little sense because he’s from that area but he would get eaten up in the Big East. If he was unhappy with playing time here I think he’d really be unhappy at Ohio State.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
These lists are always funny to look at. The last 3 teams listed are realistic landing spots. The top half is just a joke. Remember Gonzaga was “interested” in Marvin Coleman last year
You got this all wrong. An assistant will pop in that utah state game and go wow. He will get some offer from a power 5 team.

As crazy as it sounds, I can confirm that DePaul and Ohio State have been in contact
I don't think it's crazy for either guard so far... they need a coach that can let them develop into whatever role they're being sold. Gilbert mightve had a rough ending here, but he's got talent/potential and a good coach will get that out of him.

You got this all wrong. An assistant will pop in that utah state game and go wow. He will get some offer from a power 5 team.
Not saying you’re wrong, he may become a good player, the potential is there. But assistants can also pop in tape from every other game (including that game) and see he is a below average defender at best at the MW level, let alone in the Big 10 or Big 12. He will need a ton of defensive coaching and he’s got to be willing to be coached.

Also his social media presence bashing his teammates and coaches mid season.

He clearly wants playing time and that was the big issue here. Do you think he’s going to get that playing time quick enough at a good P5 school?

I don't think it's crazy for either guard so far... they need a coach that can let them develop into whatever role they're being sold. Gilbert mightve had a rough ending here, but he's got talent/potential and a good coach will get that out of him.
I agree. I actually believe his ceiling is very high and am not as harsh on him as others. He was a freshman and played for a coach that didn't seem to vibe with him from the jump.

He will make a huge sophomore jump.

Not saying you’re wrong, he may become a good player, the potential is there. But assistants can also pop in tape from every other game (including that game) and see he is a below average defender at best at the MW level, let alone in the Big 10 or Big 12. He will need a ton of defensive coaching and he’s got to be willing to be coached.

Also his social media presence bashing his teammates and coaches mid season.

He clearly wants playing time and that was the big issue here. Do you think he’s going to get that playing time quick enough at a good P5 school?
At top p5 schools he would struggle for time. But he would get mega time at the lower tier schools of p5. Like at Minnesota he would be option 1 for sure.

At top p5 schools he would struggle for time. But he would get mega time at the lower tier schools of p5. Like at Minnesota he would be option 1 for sure.
I think of some others that bolted. Devin Tillis, Reese Brown, Jay Green, Jaylon Martinez - it was simple to see that these guys were and would always be nobodies on the court. I DO NOT see Hall in that mold at all. I think he can make a big impact if he picks the right situation.

Speaking of waddilove, him and cerio are acting like they know good news. It’s probably nothing like always.

AJ does have great connections and a lot of decent info, but he’s also a huge homer. Remember him calling this the best UNLV team since 2014.
Info can be wrong, opinions can be wrong. It’s happened to most of us here.

AJ Is solid with info, always has been. And I know far more homers that non-homers.

There’s a media guy I converse with fairly often, for about the last 15 years or so and he’s an admitted homer. He’s like a lot of the fans we have remaining. Reggie Smith (was that his name, a little guard that liked to dunk and played a few games here) was an awesome point guard, Rice is final four bound with his third team, we got lucky with Menzies because he was a sleeper to lead us back yo prominence, McCoy was going to be national freshman of the year, etc, etc, etc. Every single season, zero objectivity, sees zero negatives with anything.

We talked before the season, which went pretty damn close to what I expected. He, of course, certain of 1/2 in league and an at large. He called me later Dec to “brag” how he was right, I was wrong, not that I give a shit about that kind of stuff. We were both spot on with OOC, but then again so were those born in 2020, it was easy to guess given our schedule. Of course, I predicted an Arroyo like season, which happened, which he said would never happen … but our recent call, the only reason that happened was because half the team hated the coaching staff. Otherwise he’d have been right. Whatever … people don’t think. They’re too guarded against the self created humiliation they face in their own mind for the gravely sin of, gasp, being wrong. Who really gives a f if you are right or wrong?

We will have the same convo we had this past year for the next season, in all likelihood.

so i wonder what he is implying to ?
He's optimistic.

We all swing and miss on info at times. While I had Derrick Jones, Jr coming here, there are countless others I've heard that they are "locks" who ended up elsewhere. For anyone who claims to be 100%, ask them if they thought that Chris Wood would be returning the season that he declared for the draft. Heck, the day before he put his video out, he assured people that he would be returning. Hence, we were ALL wrong!

I knew that you and Graney were besties!!!
No, not at all. I just think he’s a boring, but typical shit stirrer, similar to Joe Hawk. Trust me when I tell you, most die hard fans know more than these generalists. Beat guys have a better feel and get better info, but if they’re slanted (makes their job easier to take a certain position), you have to consider the motivation. Most beat guys are pretty neutral though and they’re supposed to be but there’s been more doubling up with duties and sometimes things blend a bit.

I guess I’m more comfortable with what I see than what I’m told. Of course, that’s in an area where you have some knowledge - sometimes you have to defer if you’re ignorant.

No, not at all. I just think he’s a boring, but typical shit stirrer, similar to Joe Hawk. Trust me when I tell you, most die hard fans know more than these generalists. Beat guys have a better feel and get better info, but if they’re slanted (makes their job easier to take a certain position), you have to consider the motivation. Most beat guys are pretty neutral though and they’re supposed to be but there’s been more doubling up with duties and sometimes things blend a bit.

I guess I’m more comfortable with what I see than what I’m told. Of course, that’s in an area where you have some knowledge - sometimes you have to defer if you’re ignorant.
I was joking because you said that the journalist is a UNLV fan. He was/is the polar opposite.

Judging Gilbert is where I need to use my eyes more than be swayed by what I hear. But I won’t beat that dead horse and will just wish him well.

I was joking because you said that the journalist is a UNLV fan. He was/is the polar opposite.

Judging Gilbert is where I need to use my eyes more than be swayed by what I hear. But I won’t beat that dead horse and will just wish him well.
FWIW, I was told by four people about how Gilbert was heads above next during summer play. I didn’t see the work, but I trust these people and their eyes … so I stuck with that as a pretty absolute … always with the caveat that I didn’t see it personally, but there was universal (small universal) consensus.

And I think they were probably right at that point and time.

But that’s certainly not the way it unfolded over the course of the season. Early on, he was pretty good. But that super soft UNLV OOC ended up the pinnacle of his UNLV career. All downhill from there.

And he gone …

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT