ADVERTISEMENT

Given the circumstances

I don’t think so. Can think of some bigger ones. #8 BYU in ‘81, Dominating #14 Wisconsin in their house in 2003. Beating Reno ‘94 to clinch their only conference championship are ones off the top of my head. Might even say the bowl game against Arkansas in 2000 too.

It’s definitely a good one though, will see where we end up and where they do to see just how big it really is.

Last edited:
I don’t think so. Can think of some bigger ones. #8 BYU in ‘81, Dominating #14 Wisconsin in their house in 2003. Beating Reno ‘94 to clinch their only conference championship are ones off the top of my head. Might even say the bowl game against Arkansas in 2000 too.

It’s definitely a good one though, will see where we end up and where they do to see just how big it really is.
Those big wins in the past in most cases had zero or little meaning to the season. UNLV has never been ranked in the top 25 during the regular season, and it is very possible UNLV will finally get that top 25 ranking for the first time in D1 in almost 50 years! While this may not have been a win against a ranked team, I think it was the most important game for UNLV to date!

Those big wins in the past in most cases had zero or little meaning to the season. UNLV has never been ranked in the top 25 during the regular season, and it is very possible UNLV will finally get that top 25 ranking for the first time in D1 in almost 50 years! While this may not have been a win against a ranked team, I think it was the most important game for UNLV to date!
Yeah our wins over ranked teams ended up being meaningless because our teams stunk those seasons and were sub .500. The rest of the season will determine how big this is. Other than Arkansas bowl game this could be the biggest we will see.

Probably won’t know the significance of the win until several weeks from now and if Kansas plays the rest of the season like they have the last 2 weeks and don’t win many games it means less than if they go on a run.
They have a good defense and will win some games but they aren’t top 25 with that QB.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Kansas defense is excellent, but BSU should have beat Oregon in their house. Special teams let them down. I think Sluka et al will work on quick outs to slow down the 8 man box defenses that have slowed down our run game. So far, to me, Sluka is still adjusting to the speed of the defensive backs and is not sure of how open his guys are.

Depends on where we go from here really. Next next 5 games are tough. Could end up in a similar situation. If going purely off of what it meant for a season, I would say 1994 against Reno would get my vote. That win, over a rival that had beaten us 5 consecutive times, gave us our one and only conference championship. Was at that game. Was very cold (for Vegas anyway).

Beat Fresno at home and that home game against Syracuse will be, by far, the biggest and most comsequential game in program histroy. 2 top 25 teams, at home, a ton of new fans, a chance to open more seats, and start 5-0 and move top 20. A massive opportunity to take things to the next level as a program

Beat Fresno at home and that home game against Syracuse will be, by far, the biggest and most comsequential game in program histroy. 2 top 25 teams, at home, a ton of new fans, a chance to open more seats, and start 5-0 and move top 20. A massive opportunity to take things to the next level as a program
Definitely. But that Fresno game will be though. It's early in the season, so it's still tough to know how good teams are, but they went into Michigan and played a respectable game (lost 30-10). The 2nd game they won against Sac St. The 3rd game is the one that really confuses me. FSU beat NM State 48-0. The week before, NM State led the whole game but lost at the end to Liberty, who is supposedly one of the best G5 teams. And FSU throttled them. I didn't watch the game though, so couldn't say for sure if it was FSU playing well, NM State playing terrible, or both, but either way, it was an impressive score.

Definitely. But that Fresno game will be though. It's early in the season, so it's still tough to know how good teams are, but they went into Michigan and played a respectable game (lost 30-10). The 2nd game they won against Sac St. The 3rd game is the one that really confuses me. FSU beat NM State 48-0. The week before, NM State led the whole game but lost at the end to Liberty, who is supposedly one of the best G5 teams. And FSU throttled them. I didn't watch the game though, so couldn't say for sure if it was FSU playing well, NM State playing terrible, or both, but either way, it was an impressive score.
That is the same Michigan that struggled to beat Arkansas St. by 10 on their own home field, and was down 24-3 to Texas in the first half before Texas put in their bench and still won by 19.

Depends on where we go from here really. Next next 5 games are tough. Could end up in a similar situation. If going purely off of what it meant for a season, I would say 1994 against Reno would get my vote. That win, over a rival that had beaten us 5 consecutive times, gave us our one and only conference championship. Was at that game. Was very cold (for Vegas anyway).
I also go for Reno 94. It meant a lot back then. The Kofi Banks catch. The DeJohn Branch TD run. It was awesome. And probably the coldest I have ever been.

Sanford canceled ESPN's trip to Tempe the following week when he beat a ranked ASU team on the road. That was pretty cool.

(I think Georgia? was scheduled to play ASU the next week)

I watched 3 quarters of the Fresno game. They're good. That will be a tough win for us. A larger crowd would obviously help. The bye is going to help us. Our improved defense is going to help us. If we try to run 75% of the time there will be a lot of 3 and outs. Passing the ball will be a must. I do think Keene is turnover prone. We will need to force him into throws he doesn't want to make. I do like our front 7 to do that.

New Mexico State stinks, as does Liberty.

I watched 3 quarters of the Fresno game. They're good. That will be a tough win for us. A larger crowd would obviously help. The bye is going to help us. Our improved defense is going to help us. If we try to run 75% of the time there will be a lot of 3 and outs. Passing the ball will be a must. I do think Keene is turnover prone. We will need to force him into throws he doesn't want to make. I do like our front 7 to do that.

New Mexico State stinks, as does Liberty.
Watching Coach presser vs KU before the game. He stated that he have something for them. He have not say anything about Fresno yet but that he have over a week to prepare for them. I think we will be OK.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT