ADVERTISEMENT

Game thoughts

T.E. Parker

Publisher
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2002
The number one thing that stood out to me tonight is the amount of options that Rice is going to have at his disposal whenever deciphering which type of lineup he is going to use. Honestly, the only player that I can see in every type of decision is Zimmerman. Beyond him, you can really go crazy with the direction you want.

I really liked the combination of Cornish and Nwamu on the floor together. That gives us two really dynamic shooters from the outside that are strong and physical. However, I loved the look with Zimm, Morgan and Jones together. That group brings athleticism and energy that is similar to what San Diego State overwhelms teams with.

It's going to be a game-by-game feel for Rice of what he wants on the floor together. I don't feel like there is a clear-cut 1-5 this year. So many players bring a different skill set that you can switch your approach up at the drop of a hat.

From an individual standpoint, UNLV really needs McCaw to go back to what he was last year. That doesn't mean that he has to be the "man" or anything, but he can't be just another "guy". He is way too talented to not impact the game more.

It's going to be impossible for Rice to keep Jones on the bench. He brings the intangibles that you can't teach. I haven't had the feeling about watching a Rebel play since Keon Clark with what Jones brings to the table. This young man is electric, and the best part is, you don't have to run a single play for him. He'll figure out ways to contribute just in the flow of the game. I'm already a huge fan of his.

Big Zimm was as advertised. He was totally unselfish and had a double-double with more than 15 minutes left in the second half. The Rebels are lucky to have him, and like I said, he is the only player on the entire roster that you can't take out of the game.

With Nwamu and Cornish on the wings, there is no chance that our 3-pointer streak is in jeopardy this season. There will be nights when one of them is off there game, but I doubt there will be many when both are off. They each have a ton of confidence in their abilities and are ready to shoot it every moment they are on the floor.

I liked what I saw from Morgan tonight. He finally looked comfortable in his natural role as a power forward. Will that last? I'm not sure. If it does, that's the area he'll make the biggest contributions.

Considering the competition, I was disappointed in Goodluck. He should've been able to have a better game, especially with the attention that Zimmerman got. He needs to step up his game with Carter looking over his shoulder.

I need to see more of Seagears before I make a conclusion. I liked that he would unexpectedly attack the hoop. It made him effective in that role. Tonight, I didn't see a player that is going to make a ton of plays for his teammates. I hope I'm wrong.

If this team puts it together and finds a rhythm, it can play with any club in the nation. I think they are that good. I'm ready to find out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News