11/21 - Colorado/Richmond
11/28 - Akron
12/6 - Dayton
12/9 - LMU
12/13 - Creighton
12/16 - SMC
12/21 - Hofstra
12/31 - Carroll College

Two high major teams were scheduled but backed out so this is what we have left. Probably our best non-conf. schedule in a long time.

11/8 - Southern
11/11 - Stetson
11/17 - Pepperdine
11/20 - FSU
11/28 - Akron
12/6 - Dayton
12/9 - LMU
12/13 - Creighton
12/16 - SMC
12/21 - Hofstra
12/31 - Carroll College

Two high major teams were scheduled but backed out so this is what we have left. Probably our best non-conf. schedule in a long time.
It's pretty balanced. At least there are some challenges, unlike last year, year prior, year prior, year prior .... it looks a little too feast/famine. I wouldn't say feast, the top part isn't super heavy, but heavier than previously and the bottom is soft as baby crap.

But not disappointed with it overall. I'd love to trade Carroll and Southern (or Stetson, keep one of the three) for two top 100-150 teams.

11/8 - Southern
11/11 - Stetson
11/17 - Pepperdine
11/20 - FSU
11/28 - Akron
12/6 - Dayton
12/9 - LMU
12/13 - Creighton
12/16 - SMC
12/21 - Hofstra
12/31 - Carroll College

Well it looks like I will take my Grandson to see that power house Carroll College. I was hoping for a better game but he should see a Rebel win. We will make it a good time.

Once again our home schedule totally sucks. WHY am I paying big money for goods seats when our five non conference opponents in the T&M are:…. Southern, Stetson, Akron, Hofstra, and Carroll College. Nice job Kevin. Nice job Eric. All of Las Vegas can hardly wait to run down and buy season tickets. Absolutely pitiful scheduling. We should all get half our money back. Can’t become bigtime again if you are not willing to schedule attractive home and home. But, we never change. Disappointing to say the least.

Once again our home schedule totally sucks. WHY am I paying big money for goods seats when our five non conference opponents in the T&M are:…. Southern, Stetson, Akron, Hofstra, and Carroll College. Nice job Kevin. Nice job Eric. All of Las Vegas can hardly wait to run down and buy season tickets. Absolutely pitiful scheduling. We should all get half our money back. Can’t become bigtime again if you are not willing to schedule attractive home and home. But, we never change. Disappointing to say the least.
It’s nice to have an undefeated streak at home, right? This is one way to do it.

Road and neutrals are fine though.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Good teams don't play in other teams gyms during the non-conference schedule. Thats just the way it is.
Fans of real teams aren't buying season tickets for their non-conference schedules, they are buying tickets for conference games.

I guess you can complain, but UNLV threw you a bone when they set up the Dollar Loan Center games and got Creighton and LMU to show up for those. And oh by the way, those gams re free for season ticket holders AND DLC in Henderson is a better venue for UNLV basketball than the T&M AND ITS NOT CLOSE.

Good teams don't play in other teams gyms during the non-conference schedule. Thats just the way it is.
Fans of real teams aren't buying season tickets for their non-conference schedules, they are buying tickets for conference games.

I guess you can complain, but UNLV threw you a bone when they set up the Dollar Loan Center games and got Creighton and LMU to show up for those. And oh by the way, those gams re free for season ticket holders AND DLC in Henderson is a better venue for UNLV basketball than the T&M AND ITS NOT CLOSE.
Hmmm … you make it sound as if the non conference is an insignificant waste of time and only conference matters … I see it as an equal weight to conference and the conference season. The three together determine if you dance.

I guess we just see it differently. I had more fun beating UNC or Wisconsin or Arizona than beating Wyoming.

11/8 - Southern
11/11 - Stetson
11/17 - Pepperdine
11/20 - FSU
11/28 - Akron
12/6 - Dayton
12/9 - LMU
12/13 - Creighton
12/16 - SMC
12/21 - Hofstra
12/31 - Carroll College

Who were the high majors? If UNLV can run the table with this schedule, it stand a good chance at March Madness. Even at 11-1 or 10-2 would be ok. 12-0 would be solid.

Everyone will predicts 8-4.

Hey Monster
1) good teams play on other teams home court all the time. Sheese…Last year alone just to name a few..Tennessee at Arizona..Alabama at Houston.. BYU at San Diego St..Gonzaga at Texas..Indiana at Kansas..Louisville at Kentucky..UCLA at Maryland.. Get the picture Monster? I could name many others. So, I’m supposed to be happy to get kicked out of my T&M seats to go down to Dollar Loan Center ? They will draw capacity 7 thousand or so when they could play in the Mack and draw 15 thousand or so. UNLV DOES NOT take advantage of playing in one of the nicest arenas in the West. Better than the Loan Center. Also, UNLV fans have ALWAYS bought season tickets BECAUSE of our non-conference home schedule. Not our conference schedule. That is just the way it is here in Vegas. But I guess Kevin and Eric just can’t figure that out. Their biggest weakness: Can’t find fun, good quality opponents for our home non -conference Thomas & Mack games. Always some kind of excuse. Pitiful

Hey Monster
1) good teams play on other teams home court all the time. Sheese…Last year alone just to name a few..Tennessee at Arizona..Alabama at Houston.. BYU at San Diego St..Gonzaga at Texas..Indiana at Kansas..Louisville at Kentucky..UCLA at Maryland.. Get the picture Monster? I could name many others. So, I’m supposed to be happy to get kicked out of my T&M seats to go down to Dollar Loan Center ? They will draw capacity 7 thousand or so when they could play in the Mack and draw 15 thousand or so. UNLV DOES NOT take advantage of playing in one of the nicest arenas in the West. Better than the Loan Center. Also, UNLV fans have ALWAYS bought season tickets BECAUSE of our non-conference home schedule. Not our conference schedule. That is just the way it is here in Vegas. But I guess Kevin and Eric just can’t figure that out. Their biggest weakness: Can’t find fun, good quality opponents for our home non -conference Thomas & Mack games. Always some kind of excuse. Pitiful
It does seem like there are a ton of excuses for why UNLV fails with … anything … scheduling, recruiting, record, attendance. You pick something, anything, there is a lot of enabling why UNLV is on the crap end. If you call it out, you’re a bad fan.

Maybe long term survival as a fan depends on doing the ostrich head in the sand thing, playing kumbaya through your AirPods, reading the newspaper while the game is ongoing,

I guess whatever it takes to get you through the pain and disappointment.

UNLV underachieves at attendance because they refuse to schedule quality
Name opponents. Need to get the T & M rocking. Need to bring back the fever. Not gonna do it playing Incarnete World & Stetson. Not sure why they cannot understand that. Same with football. You have Allegiant Stadium in the most exciting city in the world, and they schedule Bryant. Wow?? Just scheduled Texas El Paso…. My god, what are they thinking.??? Play a name opponent.. draw a crowd.. = making $$$ money.

Hopefully someone is scheduling with quadrants in mind. We need to be scheduling winnable games against teams that can give us the best quadrant score at the end of the year.

Last year SDSU had a NET score of 14th while we had 94th. So what was the difference as far as scheduling goes? One number that stands out is the Quad 3 games (Low ranking teams but not the worst) . SDSU had 14 Q3 games and won all of them. We had 12 Q3 games and won only 7.

So, it seems to me we can afford to schedule quite a few weaker teams just like SDSU does - But we have to win all of them. Any loss is a problem - more than a couple is a disaster. And we need to sweep the weak sisters in our own league. Don't let off the gas. Don't play down to the competition. Do that and we go dancing.

Reactions: j. spilotro
UNLV underachieves at attendance because they refuse to schedule quality
Name opponents. Need to get the T & M rocking. Need to bring back the fever. Not gonna do it playing Incarnete World & Stetson. Not sure why they cannot understand that. Same with football. You have Allegiant Stadium in the most exciting city in the world, and they schedule Bryant. Wow?? Just scheduled Texas El Paso…. My god, what are they thinking.??? Play a name opponent.. draw a crowd.. = making $$$ money.
I don’t disagree at all. I do think this years schedule is better than previous years. But I’d like to see a couple of top tiers at home. I don’t care if it’s 2 road vs. 1 home game. But saying big teams won’t play us us a cop out. UNM used that for the longest time. It wasn’t the case.

I think fans would rather see UNLV lose in OT to a top 5 Arizona than glide to a boring win vs Stetson.

But we’ve diluted hopes and expectations and so now most are cool with it. Many fans warned against continuing down this path because it leads to apathy from many, excuse making from the rest. Apathy is a powerful animal.

Some see it as a philosophy, I see it as being afraid of losing.

They will draw capacity 7 thousand or so when they could play in the Mack and draw 15 thousand or so. UNLV DOES NOT take advantage of playing in one of the nicest arenas in the West.
Call me pessimistic, but neither Creighton nor LMU would be near 15k anywhere playing UNLV in the Mack in 2023. Maybe(!!) 12 for Creighton and 8 for LMU.

DLC is an excellent capacity arena for UNLV's local interest at present. Too bad they built it to have laughable concessions.

But I guess Kevin and Eric just can’t figure that out.
...and TJ and Marvin and Jim and Tina and Desireee. Almost like the problem is bigger than the individuals at the school at the moment of scheduling...

I think fans would rather see UNLV lose in OT to a top 5 Arizona than glide to a boring win vs Stetson.
Genuine question: would 2023-24 UNLV lose in OT to top 5 Arizona? Or would they lose by 35. Remember how bad thay shellacking we took a few years back in the Mack to Duke?

It wasn't even fun or remotely enjoyable. It was the ultimate "you don't matter" statement.

This team certainly isn't that UNLV (was that Marvin?), but all I'm getting at is if they played top 5 AZ and lost by 35, then top 15 Creighton, would people show up?

If we really wanted to improve, we would schedule Iowa State and Ole Miss for a home and home. I dont want to hear any excuses; make it happen.

If we insist on playing a small Texas school, the least we can do is schedule UTSA, who is actually good and has an explosive offense. But nope, we go to UTEP and we host Bryant.

Hopefully someone is scheduling with quadrants in mind. We need to be scheduling winnable games against teams that can give us the best quadrant score at the end of the year.

Last year SDSU had a NET score of 14th while we had 94th. So what was the difference as far as scheduling goes? One number that stands out is the Quad 3 games (Low ranking teams but not the worst) . SDSU had 14 Q3 games and won all of them. We had 12 Q3 games and won only 7.

So, it seems to me we can afford to schedule quite a few weaker teams just like SDSU does - But we have to win all of them. Any loss is a problem - more than a couple is a disaster. And we need to sweep the weak sisters in our own league. Don't let off the gas. Don't play down to the competition. Do that and we go dancing.
What you are stating can work, but you have zero wiggle room. I prefer wiggle room. Lose Thomas to a high ankle sprain for three or four games … you get bitten. Even an off shooting night. Roster stability is a rarity over an entire season.

Again everyone plays against lower level schools. Everyone.

This is not like years past where we have to win nearly every game to get a sniff at post season.

Based off of last year here is how our noncon finished in NET.

11/8 - Southern- 278
11/11 - Stetson- 157
11/17 - Pepperdine- 201
11/20 - FSU- 220
11/21 - Colorado (76)/Richmond (160)
11/28 - Akron- 105
12/6 - Dayton- 77
12/9 - LMU-111
12/13 - Creighton- 14
12/16 - SMC-11
12/21 - Hofstra -85
12/31 - Carroll College- not ranked- lower division

Now this is based off of last year's rankings and a lot can change.

For instance would you have thought that Florida State would be our second worst game? I didn't. They obviously had a really bad year last year, and the biggest potential to be much much better this year.

Conversely Stetson in the mid 100's is a solid game, especially as one of your bottom 4 "cupcakes". But I believe I read they were senior laden last year. They have the potential for the biggest drop off IMO.

Akron, Hoftsra, LMU are all good mid level games better than they look at first glance.

Creighton and SMC are the big hitters and most likely to be quad 1 games. I think Dayton on the road has a big chance at being quad 1 as well.

No one in the 300's which is big. If your worst games are in the low 200's (+ Southern), then that is better than most years. This is why getting Carroll is smart. It doesn't hurt your rankings.

Fun Fact, University of Houston, the number 1 NET last year played 5 teams in the 300's last year, FIVE!

This schedule is't the sexiest on paper, but it is sneaky good. Racking up wins with this schedule gets us top 20 NET easy.

This is not like years past where we have to win nearly every game to get a sniff at post season.

11/8 - Southern- 278
11/11 - Stetson- 157
11/17 - Pepperdine- 201
11/20 - FSU- 220
11/28 - Akron- 105
12/6 - Dayton- 77
12/9 - LMU-111
12/13 - Creighton- 14
12/16 - SMC-11
12/21 - Hofstra -85

For instance would you have thought that Florida State would be our second worst game? I didn't. They obviously had a really bad year last year, and the biggest potential to be much much better this year.

Conversely Stetson in the mid 100's is a solid game, especially as one of your bottom 4 "cupcakes". But I believe I read they were senior laden last year. They have the potential for the biggest drop off IMO.

Akron, Hoftsra, LMU are all good mid level games better than they look at first glance.

Creighton and SMC are the big hitters and most likely to be quad 1 games. I think Dayton on the road has a big chance at being quad 1 as well.

No one in the 300's which is big. If your worst games are in the low 200's (+ Southern), then that is better than most years. This is why getting Carroll is smart. It doesn't hurt your rankings.

Fun Fact, University of Houston, the number 1 NET last year played 5 teams in the 300's last year, FIVE!

This schedule is't the sexiest on paper, but it is sneaky good. Racking up wins with this schedule gets us top 20 NET easy.
Of course there are uncontrollable variables within an OOC, you can’t always know how they’ll pan out. But there should be a strong feel and if they perform outside of your expectations, that’s just one of those things … but come on, these guys have a strong feel.

This years OOC schedule, I think, is near what it should be, for the first time in awhile. But you defended all the poor schedules before this as being ok when they were clearly made to tally total wins (fool the fans) while sacrificing opportunity for the NCAAT. Meanwhile, while they may have tallied extra wins with those very poor schedules, only some were fooled, all were bored, no excitement at the Mack, no bodies at the Mack.

This isn’t UNM circa 1998 with a podunk town that offers nothing else and the fans fill the joint regardless while you build a ton of wins, maybe even get a ranking based on record, the fans go crazy only to see the team completely flop against any halfway decent team.

We’ve tried certain things the past 10 years. They haven’t worked in the slightest bit and the gate and postseason show it clearly.

You could look at last season’s OOC and say, 12-0 at best, 11-1 at worst. And still know it wouldn’t prepare us for conference and we wouldn’t get postseason. That means really poor OOC philosophy for that season.

This upcoming season, just superficially perusing it, I think we will lose 3 games in non-conference. If we do that or lose less, we will be in pretty decent position heading into conference season, both with preparedness and by resume. Even if you drop 4, you’ll still have that shot with a stronger conference season. But that’s what I mean by affording yourself some wiggle room with losses.

I do think there’s an art to OOC scheduling and sometimes you’ll gamble wrong. But I’d rather have less gamble and more substance. I do believe that we’ve pretty regularly scheduled scared. This year is more on par.

Of course there are uncontrollable variables within an OOC, you can’t always know how they’ll pan out. But there should be a strong feel and if they perform outside of your expectations, that’s just one of those things … but come on, these guys have a strong feel.

This years OOC schedule, I think, is near what it should be, for the first time in awhile. But you defended all the poor schedules before this as being ok when they were clearly made to tally total wins (fool the fans) while sacrificing opportunity for the NCAAT. Meanwhile, while they may have tallied extra wins with those very poor schedules, only some were fooled, all were bored, no excitement at the Mack, no bodies at the Mack.

This isn’t UNM circa 1998 with a podunk town that offers nothing else and the fans fill the joint regardless while you build a ton of wins, maybe even get a ranking based on record, the fans go crazy only to see the team completely flop against any halfway decent team.

We’ve tried certain things the past 10 years. They haven’t worked in the slightest bit and the gate and postseason show it clearly.

You could look at last season’s OOC and say, 12-0 at best, 11-1 at worst. And still know it wouldn’t prepare us for conference and we wouldn’t get postseason. That means really poor OOC philosophy for that season.

This upcoming season, just superficially perusing it, I think we will lose 3 games in non-conference. If we do that or lose less, we will be in pretty decent position heading into conference season, both with preparedness and by resume. Even if you drop 4, you’ll still have that shot with a stronger conference season. But that’s what I mean by affording yourself some wiggle room with losses.

I do think there’s an art to OOC scheduling and sometimes you’ll gamble wrong. But I’d rather have less gamble and more substance. I do believe that we’ve pretty regularly scheduled scared. This year is more on par.
"I do think there’s an art to OOC scheduling and sometimes you’ll gamble wrong."

I believe there is a business opportunity here. Analyze potential schedules and sell your services to D1 programs. There has to be a solvable perfect schedule ( difficulty vs. style vs. winnability). A smart person - someone with the same type of skills to get an edge in sports betting - could make a nice living if he is identified as the best.

Hmmm … you make it sound as if the non conference is an insignificant waste of time and only conference matters … I see it as an equal weight to conference and the conference season. The three together determine if you dance.

I guess we just see it differently. I had more fun beating UNC or Wisconsin or Arizona than beating Wyoming.
That is not what I said.

Building a resume for your team to make the tournament absolutely requires all three parts to your schedule.

What I said was "Good teams don't play in other teams gyms during the non-conference schedule. " I also went on to say that when your a fan of a (more specifically) a Power 5 team, as a fan you can expect not to play very good teams in your non-conference slate at home. The value of your season tix are in conference games.

Hey Monster
Wrong

11/8 - Southern- 278
11/11 - Stetson- 157
11/17 - Pepperdine- 201
11/20 - FSU- 220
11/28 - Akron- 105
12/6 - Dayton- 77
12/9 - LMU-111
12/13 - Creighton- 14
12/16 - SMC-11
12/21 - Hofstra -85

THIS

Yall can bitch and cry about UNLV not being able to draw top-tier non-conference games to the Thomas & Mack, but thats the way it is. Last year U of A drew ONE top opponent to its home venue. One.

I'm not going to scour 300+ schools to make the obvious point that its the exception and not the norm to get these teams onto your home floor.

Reactions: unlove
Yall can bitch and cry about UNLV not being able to draw top-tier non-conference games to the Thomas & Mack, but thats the way it is. Last year U of A drew ONE top opponent to its home venue. One.

I'm not going to scour 300+ schools to make the obvious point that its the exception and not the norm to get these teams onto your home floor.
Not being able to draw or not seeking them out, or as Menzies attempted mightily to do, buy out a game?

How do you know that’s what U of A drew vs that’s what they wanted to schedule?

So what if you have to play two on the road at their place vs one at home? We aren’t on equal footing as them. It really comes down to do you want it. Sometimes you can want it and it won’t happen, but stop it if you think it’s every slot on the schedule. You’re making it sound as if UNLV is defenseless in this manner and this is the best we can do. You really don’t think there’s ever intent behind it? Are you saying a poor home schedule is UNLV’s destiny and there’s nothing they can do about it?

I also did not like last year's schedule either. I said so multiple times.

I did say that it could still get us in the dance if we took care of business. Well a couple of things happened. Many teams that had a chance to be decent, weren't. Dayton was not who we thought they were, even USF took a step back from previous years. Our weak initial schedule ended up being even worse than it looked preseason. This is no bueno. Zero OOC quad 1 wins. That cannot happen. Also we did not win enough games in conference. Regardless of our OOC we are going to have to finish in the top 4 in conference to have a chance.

It was still a bad schedule and not my preference, my point was that most teams in the MW schedule exactly like this and have made the dance. Again, not my preference. Mostly because like you have said, it doesn't prepare you for the step up in competition the NCAA's bring. Part of the reason the MW has struggled in the dance, IMO,

Complaining about every piece of cupcake we have is unreasonable. Every team plays them. This upcoming season, the general ranking of our cupcakes are very good. Again, Houston had 5 300 plus teams last year. Also the AAC was a weaker overall conference than the MW. Number 1 overall in the NET, 1 seed overall. They did play Oregon and UVA on the road. Obviously that played a huge role. They also knew that they were going to be a legit NC contender and scheduled accordingly.

The same thing that happened to us last year could happen this year. With so much turnover every year it is hard to predict ho teams will fair. More established programs are more likely to have consistency year over year. The teams like Stetson, Akron, Hoftstra are more likely to dip this year. Teams like Dayton and Florida State are more likely to improve (especially Florida State)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT